02.03.12

Which Was Your Favourite Octavia Spencer 2012 Awards Season Look?

Octavia Spencer took a leaf out of Mo’Nique’s book and turned to the one designer who would know how to flatter her curves: Tadashi Shoji.

Left in the wrong hands this could’ve been a run of black dresses and tent like shapes, but Tadashi celebrated Octavia’s womanly figure with waist-defining, flattering red carpet looks which are worthy of praise.

The man with the midas touch dressed her for the Critic’ Choice Awards and it was uphill from there.

My personal favourite was her SAG Awards look, followed by the colourful NAACP Image Awards look.

Which look did you love?

Credit: Getty

Best Dressed Of The Week - Elizabeth Banks In Elie Saab Couture & Liam Hemsworth In Dolce & Gabbana

Best Dressed Of The Week – Elizabeth Banks In Elie Saab Couture & Liam Hemsworth In Dolce & Gabbana

amfAR’s Inspiration Gala

amfAR’s Inspiration Gala

20 Responses to Which Was Your Favourite Octavia Spencer 2012 Awards Season Look?

1. Lalitha March 2, 2012 at 08:11 #

I think Octavia is so pretty and looks great in all of her red carpet outfits. I wish though she would wear some deep pinks, crimsons….these colours, in addition to some of the soft hues she has been wearing, would also look good on her. Love the AFI Awards dress, in addition to all her other outfits!

2. A. March 2, 2012 at 08:18 #

Tadashi Shoji really knows her body. and dresses her accordingly. love all the looks. but my vote goes to the Oscars look. very glamorous, and she looks beautiful.

• Kaz March 3, 2012 at 01:43 #

+1. She was one of the best dressed at the Oscars, in my humble opinion!

Love the poll, FC.

3. Kyriaki-Cyprus March 2, 2012 at 08:22 #

I was between her Sag Awards look and the Oscars look. I chose the Oscars look in the end because of the length of the sleeves I think. She really did well on the red carpet.

4. Jess2 March 2, 2012 at 08:22 #

Oh I love this post!! This is a really hard one and I can’t decide between her Golden Globes and Oscars look. Love her she looked amazing in every look

5. luci March 2, 2012 at 10:00 #

this was difficult to choose for me because she looks absolutely AMAZING in Tadashi Shoji!
    I am a big fan of her style :)

6. Hannah March 2, 2012 at 11:46 #

To me she was the most consistent by far this awards season, and possibly overall best dressed.
    My personal fave was the Oscars, then the Globes & the SAG awards, but really I could have picked any of them.

7. Alina March 2, 2012 at 12:08 #

Outstanding awards season for her.

8. CreoleLady March 2, 2012 at 12:21 #

Had to go with the Oscar look. So love this post as it is a tutorial on how to flatter a curvalicious figure. Adore the Octavia-Tadashi collabo.

9. dee March 2, 2012 at 13:48 #

Her Oscars looks was the best and the NAACP Image awards is a close second. That color on her is divine.

10. EmmaWoodhouse March 2, 2012 at 14:04 #

I am so impressed with this partnership! Thanks to Tadashi, Octavia looked beautiful all awards season. I LOVED her Oscars look, that gorgeously colorful NAACP awards dress, her tea-length look at the Writer’s Choice Awards, and her Golden Globes gown. FABULOUS!

11. Ramsay March 2, 2012 at 15:26 #

I am not impressed by any of those dresses really – they’re all boring, most look like high street dresses not custom made designer dresses – I think Mo’nique did it way better a couple of years ago

12. Jones19 March 2, 2012 at 17:10 #

Very consistent and lovely looks. My favorite is the Oscar look, she really shined.

• Snowlion March 4, 2012 at 19:42 #

Consistent because half of them look like the same gown, with a few tweaks each. The hip bustle and the central starburst are the most oft repeated styles.

13. Giuseppi Giraffe March 2, 2012 at 17:33 #

Gorgeous every time. <3 her.

14. Nat39 March 2, 2012 at 18:00 #

SAG was my fave as well followed by AFI.
    Fantastic knowledge of woman’s body, the man with the midas touch deserves a gold award of his own.

• Fashion Critic March 2, 2012 at 18:08 #

agreed

15. Marybeth March 2, 2012 at 18:05 #

I am so delighted to see this special feature on Octavia, FC! Her awards-season looks have been wonderful.
    I had a hard time picking a favorite, but finally settled on the Oscars. She had built up our high expectations by then and did not disappoint!

16. Chiara Popalopa March 3, 2012 at 04:10 #

Now that you see them next to next, the cut look very similar…

17. mememe March 28, 2012 at 16:52 #

Major designers like Calvin Klein and Michael Kors could take a page from Tadashi Shoji’s playbook when it comes to their plus size lines. They simply don’t compare.

I think it’s great that they attempt to dress plus women but the designs are lackluster and sad most of the times. Take note. It is possible to cut great clothes for curvy women.