02.03.12 Sidewalk Style

A Week In Rihanna’s Closet

Rihanna was spotted out and about London over the past week, showing off her signature, edgy street style.

The singer was in town to appear on ‘The Jonathon Ross Show’ following her appearance at the 2012 Brit Awards.

RiRi left the HQ of Prelude London, in typical rockstar fashion wearing her Ray Ban sunglasses at night.

A Givenchy screen-printed shirt over a long-sleeve top, baggy jeans and Timberland hiking boots made up her casual ensemble.

The following day, she was seen leaving her hotel paying homage to an iconic screen star – Elizabeth Taylor wearing a Topshop Unique pixelated Cleopatra sweater.

A long black skirt, stylish shades and Giuseppe Zanotti bi-colour pumps completed her look.

Whilst greeting her fans on another day out in London she donned a Religion ‘God Save the Queen’ long sleeve slashed sweater paired with rolled up boyfriend jeans.

A black Fleet Ilya visor and white Comme des Garcons x Converse high top sneakers completed her look.

Her week ended showcase the sexy street style Rihanna is known for yesterday, courtesy of Christian Louboutin Sea.nn Girl thigh-high leather boots which are part of the Christian Louboutin 20 year celebratory capsule collection.

Paired with studded denim shorts, a denim button-down shirt, plus a denim shirt tied around her waist and tucked into her shorts.

A flat-brim baseball cap and loads of gold jewelry completed this look that only Rihanna would dare wear.

Does she pull off these street-style looks?

If so, which is your favourite?

You can buy Rihanna’s Givenchy oversized tee-shirt from Luisa via Roma
and her Topshop Unique sweater from Topshop US and Topshop international.
Credit: FameFlynet & PacificCoastNews

Ciara In Valentino & Sportmax - New York Live

Ciara In Valentino & Sportmax – New York Live

Reese Witherspoon In Kate Spade New York

Reese Witherspoon In Kate Spade New York

32 Responses to A Week In Rihanna’s Closet

1. AW March 2, 2012 at 15:02 #

Sorry but I hate it all. She looks cheap and trashy. I prefer her more polished without the bad hair.

• Mary Gatto March 2, 2012 at 16:23 #

+ 1. Except I can’t remember the last time I saw her looking polished. Even that Gucci gown looked cheap on her. I fail to see her as a big deal…

• EmmaWoodhouse March 2, 2012 at 17:25 #

+1 to you both!!!

• dee March 2, 2012 at 17:32 #

I agree. I don’t like it. It screams try hard. The only look that is tolerable is the 3rd one if should lose the visor.

• luci March 5, 2012 at 08:31 #

2. Alina March 2, 2012 at 15:06 #

Try hard.

3. Mick March 2, 2012 at 15:19 #

Well, I like the Zanotti bi-colour pumps and the denim shirt, but that’s the only nice thing I can say, other than that she appears utterly tacky and try-hard.

4. CreoleLady March 2, 2012 at 15:20 #

When she’s good, she’s very very good. When she’s bad, she’s slovenly. Here, she’s bad imho.

5. andrea March 2, 2012 at 15:30 #

I like her style – there are a lot of pieces I wouldnt personally wear but I like that she is edgy, incorporates high fashion, and has a cool, I-dont-care-what-you-think attitude. HOWEVER, the shirt around her waist that is tucked into the shorts and sticking out the bottom is just plain stupid and unnecessary.

6. Brianne March 2, 2012 at 15:31 #

What I love about Rihanna’s style is that it feels very authentic. It doesn’t feel like she’s trying to shock, which is rare with music stars. That said, her looks are hit or miss for me.

7. Annelise March 2, 2012 at 15:39 #

She looks like some teenager desperately trying to be edgy and ‘push the envelope’. If only she’d go back a few years to her more polished looks that were still fashion forward without the try hard vibe and the shock me attitude

8. Vanessa March 2, 2012 at 15:42 #

Really try hard, especially last outfit!! But I do like the two tone zany to heels

9. doc March 2, 2012 at 16:32 #

After a week in Rihanna’s closet, you should scream “LET ME OUT! LET ME OUT!!!” It’s interesting that so many young woman will look to her as a style icon and someone whose fashion should be emulated. Look at this foolishness. It’s terrible. She tries so hard to buck convention and be different and the end result makes her look out of touch and even stupid. For those wondering, she apparently no longer works with the stylist that revamped her image in 2007/2008.

• Fashion Critic March 2, 2012 at 16:37 #

LOL @@ “After a week in Rihanna’s closet, you should scream “LET ME OUT! LET ME OUT!”

• Nina March 3, 2012 at 00:58 #

That’s why things have gone downwards since, now I get it.

• Dominique March 3, 2012 at 19:03 #

Mariel Haenn has been styling Rihanna from the beginning of her career. She just recently stopped working with her after seven years. I’ve read Rihanna saying she just wanted less of a “styled” look about what she wore. Mariel is notorious for over-styling her clients. Look at Jennifer Lopez and The Smith family.

10. eimearoconnor March 2, 2012 at 16:37 #

I love Rihannas style, its a real i dont give an F, and ya gotta respect that, she is beautiful and mixes it up over and over again. Of these four, i actually like the first one best, like the nineties/early 2000 desert boots vibe, very LA rap, feels the least try hard and most what rihanna would wear!

11. Ade March 2, 2012 at 16:40 #

This is absolute rubbish. But she wears it with confidence so I’ll give her that.

12. Z March 2, 2012 at 17:35 #

She looks like Mary J Blige or 80iest raper

13. rosie March 2, 2012 at 17:50 #

Love the Elizabeth Taylor sweater + long skirt outfit! The boyfriend jeans and tacky boots aren’t really working for her in the others though.

14. Marybeth March 2, 2012 at 18:13 #

I’m tempted to pick the last look only because the hat entirely covers up those awful dark roots in her hair.
    But if I ignore the hair — which, alas, I really can’t — I’d choose the first look.

15. robbie March 2, 2012 at 18:15 #

this girl is trashy, she manages to make snookie look stylish, that last look should be on a hooker.

16. argentina March 2, 2012 at 18:39 #

The second look is maybe the hurtless one to see. I like the shirt, the shoes and the sweater but nos the hole thing. The rest is just crapy, she tries it to hard in a bad way i much preffer Lea Michelle triying hard than Rihanna, this kind of looks were good to “We Found Love” video but not for everydays closet

17. Ana March 2, 2012 at 19:24 #

Hate it. And I don’t like the “attitude” either. It seems forced, not authentic, like she’s trying very hard to be different. The hair is awful.

18. Lisa-kaye March 2, 2012 at 19:41 #

Hooker trailer trash, far too try hard….

19. dan March 2, 2012 at 20:29 #

not loving the hair but she’s fearless if anyone can get away with thigh highs and studded shorts surely its going to be rihanna??? she looks great… P.S not loving the hooker and trailer trash comments off people its a tad harsh and just rude really isnt it.

• Ginger March 2, 2012 at 22:00 #

I agree with dan vis a vis the ‘hooker trailer trash’ comments…please, really. This type of comment says more about you than Rhianna. And anyway, I don’t mind a bit of trash on a woman; why should we all aspire to be prim and well groomed? She looks like she’s having fun; the second outfit is my fave, even something I’d wear.

• Dominique March 3, 2012 at 02:34 #

I totally agree. I’m 22 years old and most of the time I don’t want to be “prim and well-groomed”. I want to have fun! That’s what I love most about Rihanna. Her edge and boldness. She really goes for it. All of these looks are a mess, but in such an awesome way. I love her style.

20. Chantell March 3, 2012 at 17:27 #

no ma’am
    I like the 1st look the best, an homage to east coast American hip hop while she’s in London, that’s cool
    2nd look-like the Liz top and the shoes and that’s it
    3rd look is my least favorite cuz I can go down the street to Wal-Mart and see that outfit anytime…it’s terrible
    Last look is terrible..I’m not a fashionista like most of you are so can someone explain why two denim shirts? those shorts? the shirt tucked into the shorts? Just don’t get it..

21. Tina March 4, 2012 at 09:02 #

Where did her sence of style go:( I used to love her outfits. Now plain uglyness.

22. Flutterbang March 4, 2012 at 22:18 #

If I didn’t know it was Rihanna I’d probably think it was some hobo.

23. bianca March 9, 2012 at 22:28 #

I think Rihanna wants to be a young Madonna of our times