27.02.12

Viola Davis In Vera Wang – 2012 Oscars

Viola Davis added a pop of colour on the red carpet for the 2012 Oscars, held in LA tonight.

The ‘Best Actress’ nominee wore a vibrant emerald green Vera Wang gown.

Her custom Vera Wang corseted gown with a floral crystal appliqué bustline, cascading ruffles and a pleated accordion skirt was teamed with silver accessories.

Perhaps my favourite part of this entire look is Viola’s choice to rock her natural hair plus the fact that the twins are under control on this occasion.

Credit: Getty

Frugal Friday

Frugal Friday

Michelle Williams In Louis Vuitton - 2012 Oscars

Michelle Williams In Louis Vuitton – 2012 Oscars

53 Responses to Viola Davis In Vera Wang – 2012 Oscars

1. Mahima February 27, 2012 at 01:25 #

I hate this dress. I don’t even know what’s going on. Nice colour but looks like a disaster to me.

• Alina February 28, 2012 at 13:51 #

+1. I’m sad because she started really well …

2. Rory February 27, 2012 at 01:25 #

I can’t breathe.

3. EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2012 at 01:25 #

I’m glad that she decided to go natural with her hair–she totally pulls it off–but the dress is really horrendous imo. It looks like a cheap off-the-rack prom dress. I’m so disappointed! :( :(

• Kennedy February 27, 2012 at 05:22 #

I hate the dress too :(

The makeup is also too much. Does she not realize how gorgeous her skin is? It’s like she slaps on an entire bottle of foundation. Way too much eyeliner too IMO.

4. Jones19 February 27, 2012 at 01:27 #

It kinda looks like the bust doesn’t fit but other than that she looks amazing.

5. Katey February 27, 2012 at 01:27 #

for me too much boobies again…

6. Raquel February 27, 2012 at 01:27 #

I love the green, love the hair, the makeup, but I hate the top of the corset. Not flattering.

7. molly February 27, 2012 at 01:27 #

I dont like this at all. The fabric is horrid and the beading looks cheap. I love her hair, but thats it.

8. ramsay February 27, 2012 at 01:28 #

Thank God no wig! The earrings look good

9. robbie February 27, 2012 at 01:28 #

perhaps im just being a pain on the a$$ and picky, i love the look but the seam around the waist bugs me a little, i wish there was a way it wasnt showing. she looks beautiful though such a lovely smile.

10. JacobGH February 27, 2012 at 01:29 #

worst dressed

11. Shaina February 27, 2012 at 01:29 #

The skirt of the dress is kind of weird to me but I love her in this gown, this color and her amazing hair.

12. Hannah February 27, 2012 at 01:30 #

I seriously do nto liek this dress, I think it’s grown on me, but not a fan.
    I don’t like the pleating trim stuff around the top of the hem, and and the one random bit without chiffon or whatever. It looks like a tiger or something scratched it. I don’t like the fabric of the bodice, it feels old & stiff ot me, adn I don’t like the strange pointy bits on the bodice. The colour & hair is greta, but I still fele like this isn’t the most flattering dress, chest-wise.

• Hannah February 27, 2012 at 01:33 #

Also I jsut ead your twitter, and the best browser that I have ever used with regards to crashing in Firefox, it seriously never seems to crash for me.

13. CreoleLady February 27, 2012 at 01:37 #

Other than the color, the dress doesn’t wow me. Still trying to figure out what is going on toward the botrom of the dress. Mixed feelings about the new hair color although I still love her natural hair.

14. karine February 27, 2012 at 01:38 #

I’m not sure i like this color on her, which kind of disapoints me a bit. She does look good still, but I expected better

15. Marlie February 27, 2012 at 01:40 #

I don’t like the bottom half of this dress. Wished there were no pleats. It looks like the dress was slashed with scissors. Love the colour and I think she looks beautiful

16. Carla February 27, 2012 at 01:44 #

SO THRILLED to see her rock her natural hair texture but I can’t say I love the color. I hope it’s her good luck charm tonight, though.

17. Carolyn February 27, 2012 at 01:46 #

I think more than anything, unless of course she wins tonight, she will be remembered for wearing her natural hair…which looks marvelous and she should do this ALL the time!

18. Snowlion February 27, 2012 at 01:51 #

I want to love it, but I don’t. Although I am so pleased she went wig-less again.

19. Leti February 27, 2012 at 01:55 #

Love the color, hate the rest. I think it looks overworked.

20. Moxie February 27, 2012 at 02:02 #

It had potential, but the fit is off around the bust. Also, what is with that slash in the skirt?

21. Paulo February 27, 2012 at 02:03 #

I tried to get on board with this one…I. just. can’t.

22. anne g February 27, 2012 at 02:05 #

beautiful woman but ugly dress

23. MEME February 27, 2012 at 02:24 #

I’m not too keen about the dress… but I love that she rocked her natural hair….

24. Carolina February 27, 2012 at 02:25 #

I’d love to see her in softer looks.

25. Christine February 27, 2012 at 02:28 #

Love the fact that she don her natural hair on Oscar night. Respect.

26. Jeremy February 27, 2012 at 02:38 #

My gosh, the corset part looks incredible cheap and unflattering. If I didn’t know this was Vera Wang, I’d have thought this is some evening dress from Sear’s off-the-rack sale.

27. gurlygurl February 27, 2012 at 03:23 #

I have to agree… Viola with her natural hair makes for a head turner. I love the color of her dress but I don’t love the dress. She still looks beautiful though. Those earrings are divine!

28. bm February 27, 2012 at 04:07 #

This is a bad dress. Don’t love it.

29. Gail February 27, 2012 at 04:09 #

I can’t put my finger on it, but I’m not liking this look, at all! IMO, Viola’s best look was the white dress she wore to the “Essence Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon”.

30. noo February 27, 2012 at 04:13 #

the look is just rubbing me all the wrong ways. the ruffle details on the dress are weird and the girls look in control but like they’re trying to make a run for it. that said, i like the color against her skin and for the first time ever i LOVE her hair.

31. Aline February 27, 2012 at 06:36 #

I was very disappointed, to be honest. She’s worn so many beautiful gowns this award season and on the most important night she decided to wear… this. It’s a shame.

But I loved that she ditched the wig xD

32. Kyriaki-Cyprus February 27, 2012 at 10:50 #

Love the colour on her, the skirt of the dress is perfect, I’m having a bit of a problem with the bust again but it wasn’t as destractive as the previous time. I like the hair too.

33. Slash February 27, 2012 at 11:22 #

I love this. I might have had some problems with the ruffles but I love this. What a colour.

34. justme February 27, 2012 at 12:59 #

I’m not a fan of the dress but yaaaaaaaaasssss to the natural hair. As promised, I’ll build her shrine lol.

35. Carolina Roq February 27, 2012 at 14:10 #

Love the hair.

36. SandTony February 27, 2012 at 14:18 #

I seriously can’t believe she chose this dress to the Oscars, very disappointing..

37. Bomshii February 27, 2012 at 14:37 #

Why’s her face lighter that her shoulder?

38. Nat February 27, 2012 at 14:49 #

Honestly, this was the greatest disappointment of the night, for me. :-(
    She has been so consistent throughout the entire award season, mixing it up (also with bold colours, which I love), but always choosing the right silhouttes for her and keeping it classy.

The only thing I really like here is the colour, which is gorgeous.
    The top of the dress is weird, and makes me think that her cleavage will keep undercontrol only if she DOESN’T MOVE, while the bottom looks like some tore her skirt apart.

39. Tiffany Nicole February 27, 2012 at 15:15 #

Not thrilled about the dress, but I get teary every time I see this picture because I think about all the little girls who may not have long, straight, “Hollywood” hair who might see this, on the biggest night in Hollywood and think, “oh yeah, my hair is beautiful, too. Just the way it is!”

40. Camille February 27, 2012 at 15:22 #

I didn’t like this, but I’m more disturbed by the color than the actual gown. I love green and so many stars have rocked emerald green gowns so I don’t have anything against green. I just don’t think it is a good color for Viola. Her hair color is sort of orange and the bold green color just clashes horribly with that orange hair. The colors are just jarring and not complementary to her at all. I would loved to have seen her in a rich cream color. That green just clashes with her orange hair in such a 70′s psychodelic kind of way. One of my least favorites and Viola has such potential to look truly stunning.

41. Andy February 27, 2012 at 16:00 #

Man, I was hoping for something more. She’d been knocking it out of the ballpark for so long, but I honestly feel she dropped the ball on this one. That particular shade of green does nothing for her beautiful skin, and she proved that she can pull of saturated colors so well. Sigh.

Also, while I love her and her natural hair, I don’t like the reddish color on her. Imagine how beautiful it would look if it just were a touch darker! I would be willing to overlook that, had she chosen a darker shade for her eyebrows. Viola just is a beautiful woman, but I don’t think that she has photographed well these past two events and I think that that’s ONLY because of the eyebrows.

I wanted to like it, I really did. :(

42. MsDivaMom February 27, 2012 at 16:41 #

She’s a lovely lady but I’m always disappointed her foundation never matches her skin tone. She’s too light on the face and her boobies look like they are going to pop out. I’m loving her hair though. #teamnaturalalltheway

43. Deena February 27, 2012 at 18:51 #

Nil points! I love Viola and I really hoped I would like what she was wearing but I truly don’t. Hair… hmmmm…. Not feeling the colour but like the style.

44. Julia February 27, 2012 at 20:24 #

This is a knockout dress! I love it– stunning color, construction and fabric. She looks fabulous.

45. Gianni February 27, 2012 at 22:12 #

Everythings beautiful at first glance.But once I really got a good look at the dress I didnt like it.I like the color but that’s it. Love the Hair, makeup, and accessories though. I was prayer that she would wear look 32 or 33 from Zac posen prefall
    ,but my prayer came unheard. *sigh*.

46. Prudence February 28, 2012 at 20:46 #

ugh. i had such high hopes, she was the queen of red carpets leading to the Oscars. i kind of wish she would have worn her golden globe dress here and worn the vera wang to the globes. i love the color, i love the earing, i love the hair and i even love the makeup. the only issue is the dress. seriously what was vera thinking. the bottom part is just horrific.

47. Jess2 March 1, 2012 at 13:35 #

OMG I am so so so happy that she went with her natural hair. She is just so beautiful and looks young and vibrant!! Love the colour on her and I like that she took a risk. I don’t think it is the best dress she has worn but she just looks amazing!! I love her to pieces!!

48. LizLemooooon March 6, 2012 at 21:27 #

I hate the dress. The colour is divine on her but I hate the dress. LOVE her hair tho and will always love her for going natural to the Oscars that I’m not even mad about the hair colour. What a stunning woman.

P.S. I know I’m late FC but I wanted to thank you for keeping us all updated during award season :)

• Fashion Critic March 6, 2012 at 22:00 #

my pleasure…i have enjoyed reading your comments x

49. mememe March 28, 2012 at 16:56 #

I don’t care about the dress. She’s glowing!