27.02.12

Maria Sharapova In Alexander McQueen – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Perhaps Maria Sharapova should stay off the red carpet and stick to the tennis courts.

The tennis pro attended the 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in West Hollywood last night, mingling with Hollywood’s biggest stars.

It pains me to say this, but Maria was my least favourite of the night in Alexander McQueen.

This Spring 2012 short and frilly frock just looks misplaced on Maria’s muscular frame.

Someone much more petite and dainty is needed to pull off the micro-mini hemline and all that frou frou.

Alexander McQueen horn heel platforms, an Alexander McQueen bejeweled Swarovski crystal clutch with skull clasp accessorized her look, along with Dena Kemp earrings, a David Yurman square ring, and head piece by Jennifer Behr.

Would any of you give Maria a pass?

Credit: Getty

Amy Adams In Vivienne Westwood – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscars Party

Amy Adams In Vivienne Westwood – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscars Party

Nina Dobrev In J. Mendel - Elton John’s AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party

Nina Dobrev In J. Mendel – Elton John’s AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party

36 Responses to Maria Sharapova In Alexander McQueen – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

1. dee February 27, 2012 at 20:41 #

Don’t like the dress but she has great legs.

2. Kaz February 27, 2012 at 20:43 #

I actually don’t mind it! The colour of the dress is amazing with her skin tone.

FC – I’ve always wondered, have stars at the parties attended the Oscars too?

• Fashion Critic February 27, 2012 at 20:45 #

Not all the stars attend the Oscars, so they head straight to the parties instead.

3. AW February 27, 2012 at 20:44 #

We can blame it on her frame but imo the dress looks like a half plucked chicken. Not good.

He legs are gorgeous!

4. EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2012 at 20:46 #

Definitely not a pass from me! She looks silly in this tiny, frilly, costumey dress. I don’t think it would look good on ANYONE, but certainly not on her!!

• Linda February 27, 2012 at 23:53 #

Agree 100 percent. The dress is just ugly on whoever would wear it.

5. Luis February 27, 2012 at 20:47 #

I like it! Amazing and event appropriate.

6. Ally February 27, 2012 at 20:53 #

It looks so small on her, like she’s wearing someone else’s (a petit someone) dress.

7. shap_half February 27, 2012 at 20:54 #

She looks like a wood nymph, and not in a good way. The proportions are just not right. Her lower half looks freakishly long.

8. Hermione Weasley February 27, 2012 at 20:59 #

My first reaction was pretty much horrified. She’s too tall to pull off such a short dress, imo.

9. Hannah February 27, 2012 at 21:03 #

I’m sorry, but I really don’t hate it. I find McQueen far more appealing on her than on Florence Welch, and I will say that minue shte shoes, the consistent styling is nice.

10. Jones19 February 27, 2012 at 21:10 #

I have to say that you chose some flattering pictures FC. I’ve seen much worse. This was just terrible.

11. rita February 27, 2012 at 21:11 #

It just looks wrong and that’s my only argument.

12. style server February 27, 2012 at 21:19 #

I actually think it looks really good on her, the colour really suits her skin tone..

13. Jar February 27, 2012 at 21:21 #

I loved the Mcqueen collection on the runway, but I am not liking the way it translates to the red carpet. I have yet to see a star actually wear this collection well. Has anyone see someone who has actually pulled off this collection.
    Also thanks FC for all the great coverage!

• Fashion Critic February 27, 2012 at 21:28 #

14. Emi February 27, 2012 at 21:28 #

Terrible, from head to toe. Terrible.

15. Luis February 27, 2012 at 21:36 #

I don’t understand “Maria’s muscular frame”? It’s her great legs? I think you are used to skinny models already…

16. Giuseppi Giraffe February 27, 2012 at 21:49 #

Not working. Every statement that this statement look is making is wrong: “I’m okay with dressing too young!” “I’m a fairy princess!” “I’m sultry, sexy and delicate with a little twist shabby chic!”

This reminds me of Britney Speers at the MTV music awards in that little sparkly black bikini thing. She wasn’t fat, she wasn’t ugly, but if you’re going to put on an outfit that makes such a public statement (I’m nearly naked!), you have to have the kind of body that backs your clothing up.

17. Lou February 27, 2012 at 22:04 #

Hot mess!

18. nathalie February 27, 2012 at 23:02 #

I don’t mind the length of the dress (as Yes,she does have amazing legs!), but seriously??!! that “little princess” dress for those shoulders??

She looks like Alice in wonderland, she became huge, dress stayed the same

19. Lyn February 27, 2012 at 23:17 #

she is pretty but i won’t forgive the dress.

• Alina February 28, 2012 at 16:34 #

20. gurlygurl February 28, 2012 at 00:09 #

I think Maria has an amazing body. Those are some incredible legs but this dress is all kinds of wrong. It looks like a grown woman wearing a childs fairy costume. It is too short for an event like this, cuts her upper body in all the wrong places, and well is just plain WRONG!!

21. Matt February 28, 2012 at 01:40 #

Am I the only one who absolutely loves this dress and her in it? Her body is amazing, this dress is gorgeous with her skintone. I think she looks beautiful.

22. Rebecca February 28, 2012 at 03:26 #

Someone must have stepped on her dress and ripped it off. It’s missing a lot of parts.

23. Aparna February 28, 2012 at 04:01 #

I thought she looked quite nice. And I agree with the comments about her great legs..

24. Nat February 28, 2012 at 09:44 #

I’m a big tennis fan and Masha is such a great personality, but this…uughhh. It looks like an ice-skater costume (for a programme on Swan Lake music) gone bad.

25. christine February 28, 2012 at 10:52 #

She looks amazing from the waist up!

26. vivek February 28, 2012 at 16:23 #

loking very sexy nd gorge’s

27. Camille February 28, 2012 at 18:05 #

It’s not that bad … but the dress feels a tad “underdress”

28. Elsa February 28, 2012 at 23:37 #

I feel like you have this notion that muscular/athletic girls can’t or shouldn’t wear girly dresses. I think she looks great, but that it’s wrong for the occasion.

29. Angela February 29, 2012 at 05:14 #

I agree that this dress would look a lot better on someone with a more petite frame, but Maria herself looks absolutely stunning nonetheless and her body is smashing.

30. ange February 29, 2012 at 09:41 #

it’s hideous – enough said.

31. Brooke March 1, 2012 at 18:58 #

It appears to me that the fit is the issue which bears improving on this occasion – simple solution? She needed to go up about two sizes and then tailor the fit around her torso. Her shoulder straps are too short and it is causing her to slouch.

She is not too muscular/broad/tall to do a soft look like this, but it has to be styled appropriately – her headpiece and bag are gorgeous but I would have preferred a heeled sandal for the shoe – the closed toe suede is too heavy for such an ethereal look, even in that light shade.

Finally, for the first time ever I take issue with the tone of this commentary. Beginning the piece with ‘maybe she should stay on the tennis court’ and segueing into a discussion about her body (too muscular, not petite and not dainty) instead of her clothes reads as very snarky and resolutely does not fit with this site. She is a beautiful woman who is about a sample size and she is experimenting with her look – all of which is to be celebrated, not denigrated.

• Fashion Critic March 1, 2012 at 20:01 #

Everything is said in a tongue and cheek way. Lauren meant no offence