Emma Stone In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2012 Oscars

Emma Stone gown may have matched the red carpet, but she still stood out at the 2012 Oscars tonight in Hollywood.

The actress is one of my favourite stars to watch on the red carpet, and she did not let me down in this Giambattista Valli Couture Spring 2012 gown.

The high-necked gown with a bow is already drawing comparisons to Nicole Kidman’s Balenciaga gown at the 2007 Academy Awards.

Although the similarities are undeniable, Emma’s impeccable personal style gives the look a new lease of life.

A slick bun, red lippie Louis Vuitton clutch and Louis Vuitton jewels complete the look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Jessica Chastain In Alexander McQueen - 2012 Oscars

Jessica Chastain In Alexander McQueen – 2012 Oscars

58 Responses to Emma Stone In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2012 Oscars

1. Ramsay February 27, 2012 at 02:13 #

NOOO! Nicole’s dress is way better – Very disappointing

• Elle February 27, 2012 at 02:26 #

I agree. I don’t think ANYBODY has or will beat Nicole’s Balenciaga ravishing red bow-on-the-neck gown for a very long time.

• Shaina February 27, 2012 at 02:52 #

I also agree, I like Nicole’s gown better but Emma’s gown is beautiful on her as well.

• Saree February 27, 2012 at 04:58 #

I would agree I liked Nicole’s better – I think It is a very mature dress and I do not doubt Emma’s maturity but I think it suits someone a lot older. She looks great nonetheless.

HOWEVER…. THANKGOD! SHE doesn’t look like she is going to Prom anymore! I think she dresses too young sometimes and appears too innocent, which strangely she has never given that vibe in her movies.

• Carolina Roq February 27, 2012 at 14:06 #

Agreed. Everyone (even on live tv) realized it was inspired in Nicole’s dress.

2. Nat February 27, 2012 at 02:13 #

This is like a younger, softer, more fun version of Nicole’s gown. Very pretty.

• Kennedy February 27, 2012 at 05:23 #

Exactly. She wears the hell out of it!

• Alina February 28, 2012 at 13:57 #

3. molly February 27, 2012 at 02:15 #

I think Im in love. She looks so beautiful and she is wearing the hell out of this dress. Fantastic.

4. Jones19 February 27, 2012 at 02:16 #

I thought of Nicole Kidman too but she makes this look all her own. Love the dark magenta color. Stunning.

5. Fashionmeal February 27, 2012 at 02:17 #

The gown is beautiful and all, don’t get me wrong. But Emmas sartorial choice is now beginning to bore me because she always just ends up looking the same. It’s always so monotonous now.
    I wish she’d step outside the box and do something fun and daring and sexy.
    I love Emma so much. Wish she could give me something more to love her for!

• gurlygurl February 27, 2012 at 03:16 #

I have to agree. I love this dress, I love that color and I ADORE Emma but I feel like i’ve seen this on her a million times. Maybe the problem is that we see her on the red carpet too often… sacrilege I know!

6. Shopgirl February 27, 2012 at 02:17 #

chic elegent and classy i love it My fev look of the neight

7. Carolyn February 27, 2012 at 02:18 #

I think it’s the bow drawing the comparisons because the body of the two dresses are quite different. I like Emma’s choice tonight and as you said she never disappoints on the red carpet.

8. Hermione Weasley February 27, 2012 at 02:18 #

She looks amazing! Definitely one of my favorites of the night.

9. Meg February 27, 2012 at 02:18 #

Its so similar though! She didn’t even tie the bow on the other side so it would look more original. its cool to copy another celebrities style, as long as its not for the same award show, and when the other celebrity had made history with one of the greatest dresses ever at the Oscars. Besides Emma could have done so much better.

10. call_me_schmeg February 27, 2012 at 02:18 #

This actually reminds me of the dresses Gucci designed for Florence Welch (minus the flowery thing that had around the neckline, of course).

• pepe February 27, 2012 at 03:05 #

when i saw her i was thinking that this was Gucci

• Slash February 27, 2012 at 11:16 #

Exactly my point. :) So JLo at the MET CI gala.

11. Raquel February 27, 2012 at 02:18 #

I don’t care if the look is similar to Nicole’s, she looks stunning. The color, the bow, the hair, I love everything.

• Quinn February 27, 2012 at 16:10 #

12. Hannah February 27, 2012 at 02:21 #

I lvoe her, and I lvoe this, but especially given that this is the Oscars, it is way too similar to IMO one of the most iconic academy awards dresses of all time.
    She looks gorgoeus, but I wish that she would have saved this for another occasion.

13. Rory February 27, 2012 at 02:21 #

I feel like the dress is wearing her. Beautiful dress though.

14. Erin February 27, 2012 at 02:23 #

Beautiful

15. Elle February 27, 2012 at 02:23 #

I almost expected this from Emma. It’s “Eh”. The color is wonderful, but I’ve seen this look so many times on the carpet. For example, J.Lo, Rosie H., Florence, and some others I can’t remember. I would have liked a more ‘sexier’ vibe from Emma since I haven’t seen her sexy at all, just a beautiful girl-next-door persona. The styling seems kinda plain and that bow on her neck seems to be overwhelming her more than flattering.

16. Ariel February 27, 2012 at 02:24 #

I’ve seen this type of dress so many times whether it’s Kidman’s Balenciaga gown or Gucci’s fall 2011 collection. But can’t deny she looks beautiful.

17. Christine February 27, 2012 at 02:25 #

She looks regal.Big fans of hers!

18. smolls February 27, 2012 at 02:25 #

love! I absolutely adore this look – head to toe perfection! Her makeup is flawless.

19. EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2012 at 02:25 #

This was my favorite gown from the collection, and Emma more than does it justice! It looks almost berry colored to me, and that’s a great color for her! She looks so radiant–one of the best of the night. (And thanks for the clutch, Em! Jessica didn’t answer our prayers on that point) Kudos to her as well for keeping the hair and makeup lowkey with this look. In my opinion she more than blows Nicole out of the water! :D

20. Christine February 27, 2012 at 02:26 #

The only “big” similarity to me is the bow. But they look completely different. Maybe it’s just me! Still stunning.

21. Mol February 27, 2012 at 02:35 #

Emma’s gown is younger, softer and more feminine, I like it better than Nicole’s ‘iconic’ gown. I think Emma has worn a look perfect for her light hearted easy going style…..

22. Jeremy February 27, 2012 at 02:35 #

Sorry but Nicole’s dress was better. The bow looked less confused and I love the metal lining of that dress. Kudos for Emma taking a bold choice- she deserves a honorary mention. But those “fashion critics” on E! or gossip mags will rip this dress apart.

23. Tiger Nueng February 27, 2012 at 02:40 #

I tought Nicole Kidman too! But they’re look different.
    Emma look so lovely while Nicole look so stunning,by the way … I love both!

24. robbie February 27, 2012 at 02:41 #

beautiful dress and she looks good in it.

25. MEME February 27, 2012 at 02:43 #

I LOVE it… I saw the comparisons to Nicole’s dress…. but it still reads Emma….

26. Angela February 27, 2012 at 02:43 #

Overall quite nice,forever it would’ve been a knockout had the bow been either smaller or in a different place. It looks like it overwhelms her small frame. Otherwise, she looks good.

27. Sonya February 27, 2012 at 02:45 #

I want to marry the colour. I even like the neck detail, and I’m not usually a fan of the turtleneck collars.

28. mm February 27, 2012 at 02:56 #

Very beautiful

29. Tina February 27, 2012 at 03:14 #

This looks gorgeous!!!!! I LOVEEEEE the colour and the hair!!! One of the best I’ve seen so far. Can’t wait for the rest!

30. bm February 27, 2012 at 03:20 #

I can’t stop thinking Nicole’s dress. This is so wrong.

31. bee7 February 27, 2012 at 03:20 #

the neck detail is similar to nicole’s dress, but it’s still the typical emma – the flowing gown. this is emma being emma, she looks stunning, accessories were perfect, but i wish she would try another style the next time.

32. noo February 27, 2012 at 04:02 #

watching the red carpet live and the telecast, i fell in love with the dress, her hair and her accessories. the beauty of emma is undeniable in this look and not once did i think of nicole kidman!

33. Emerico February 27, 2012 at 04:38 #

I never see the point of commenting on Emma’s sartorial choices. Her personality is so magnetic and fierce and effortlessly cool that she always makes everything she wears look just great. This dress is no exception.

• pipsqueak February 27, 2012 at 05:27 #

Totally agree on Emma’s personality. She was so funny and natural as a first-time presenter tonight. I’m not crazy about the dress. The color didn’t work well with her red hair, but it was still an adorable and feminine dress.

34. rebecca o February 27, 2012 at 06:02 #

This dress is overwhelming her and she’s not tall enough to pull it off.

35. vicky February 27, 2012 at 06:05 #

I love this girl! *girlcrush*

36. Aline February 27, 2012 at 06:24 #

I KNEW she’d wear Giambattista Valli, because this collection simply screams Emma Stone. I think she looks beautiful and very truthful to her style without looking boring. Far from it, actually.

37. nickle90 February 27, 2012 at 06:41 #

Nicole Kidman? The first thing I thought when I saw this was J.LO in Gucci at the MET Gala

38. D February 27, 2012 at 09:05 #

nice colour for her.

39. Meg February 27, 2012 at 09:21 #

She has dressed so much better; there is no wow factor like her dresses last awards season.. the lanvin, the calvin klien. This is just average, And considering its the oscars you could have expected her to bring it.even her golden globes dress this year would have been a more exciting choice

40. roxana February 27, 2012 at 10:41 #

one of my favourite.

41. Kyriaki-Cyprus February 27, 2012 at 10:43 #

She is such a sweet girl, she looked beautiful, really nice colour but ok. Not something wow, even though I think it looked better on TV.

42. Camille February 27, 2012 at 15:00 #

Wow, first thing I thought when I saw this was “oh no, this is just like Nicole Kidman’s red Balenciaga” Second thought, was I’d fire my stylist. No matter how lovely Emma is, she is still wearing a dress that bears a strong resemblance to a rather iconic dress on yet another red haired movie star…not as bad as wearing the same dress to the same event, but in my mind, with all the choices out there, it is almost as bad. Not cool and I would have liked to seen Emma in something that hadn’t already been done before and better.

43. Laura February 27, 2012 at 20:48 #

I’m a huge fan of Emma’s red carpet style and couldn’t wait to see what she produced for the Oscars. But this? I find it overwhelming. And not in a good way. The dress detracts from Emma’s natural beauty. I can’t see her, I can only see the huge bow. Such a shame.

44. ange February 29, 2012 at 10:11 #

too similar to nicole’s 2007 dress to warrant a comment

45. Parvati February 29, 2012 at 23:17 #

I really wanted to love this look, because I always love Emma Stone’s outfits, but I just can’t get the picture of Nicole Kidman out of my head. It feels like a re-run, so I can’t excited about this dress, no matter how great she looks.

46. bianca March 6, 2012 at 11:13 #

She’s my favourite of the night!I would LOVE to wear such a beautiful gown..