Claire Danes In Valentino – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

It was hard to miss Claire Danes at the 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party last night in West Hollywood.

It’s no surprise that she chose Valentino – one of the actress’ favourite designers – for the biggest night in Hollywood, but this bright pink colour is not something we’d expect from the actress who tends to favour minimalist looks.

Her Valentino Pre-Fall 2012 gown features sheer, polka-dotted overlay exploding into a tiered, riffled skirt.

This stand-out gown comes dangerously close to looking a bit Barbie princess, but I think the almost-neon pink is a brilliant choice and looks stunning on Claire.

Her styling is flawless, with a slightly messy hairstyle and light pink makeup.

The look is finished with Tiffany & Co. earrings and a Van Cleef & Arpels bracelet.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Emma Stone In Chanel Couture - 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Emma Stone In Chanel Couture – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

Jennifer Hudson's Giuseppe Zanotti Crystal Embellished Wedge

Jennifer Hudson’s Giuseppe Zanotti Crystal Embellished Wedge

18 Responses to Claire Danes In Valentino – 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party

1. Tiffany Nicole February 27, 2012 at 21:17 #

It’s a little quirky, a little cute. Overall, a non-starter for me. I agree about the styling. Fresh and fun.

2. Jones19 February 27, 2012 at 21:19 #

I’m polarized..can’t decide if I hate it or love it.

3. AW February 27, 2012 at 21:22 #

I’m kinda hating this. Okay not kinda, I do hate this.

4. EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2012 at 21:24 #

This dress is very barbieish, and I don’t feel that it’s right for Claire. She does the minimalist thing so well that this feels completely out of character–not to mention that it’s quite ’80s prom.

5. Hannah February 27, 2012 at 21:27 #

I don’t detest the dress, but I do on Calre. It feels way too sccharine and young. I was expecting thsi to have an Elle Fanning moment, like that evne Dakota would have passed it up as being too young.
    I also think it’s very unflattering, it makes her egs look short and her torso long. What I get least is the hair, it would have gone great with last year’s bathrobe dress, but not this one!

6. Ana February 27, 2012 at 21:27 #

Is this really Claire Danes? She’s amazing anyway.

7. jen February 27, 2012 at 21:29 #

i do like the look, but i feel smth is missing, i think if she had added that bowtie that model has on the neckline to her waistline, that would have made it :))))

8. Sam February 27, 2012 at 21:32 #

Wow, this somehow manages to look both cheap and very expensive. Maybe only expensive due to the event. It’s very Barbie goes to prom in 1985.

9. Lori February 27, 2012 at 21:38 #

Love Claire, but I feel really strongly that as grown women, we have to dress like grown women, and this just does not cut it.

10. Bec February 27, 2012 at 21:50 #

I LOVE this!! Her styling and ‘tude keeps it from being too Barbie-ish.

11. gurlygurl February 27, 2012 at 23:55 #

It just does not look like a luxurious designer dress. Perhaps it’s the fabric? perhaps that color should not be worn in such volume? I’m not sure but it certainly just is not right.

12. Orchee February 28, 2012 at 04:04 #

At first glance, I thought this was Clemence Poesy!

13. Andreea February 28, 2012 at 08:09 #

She looks like a 5 year old girl who tries her mother’s dress..

14. Nat February 28, 2012 at 09:39 #

On many other people I would have hated the dress…too cutesy and girlish.
    But I think Claire has an attitude that allows her to pull this off.

15. Janet Snakehole February 28, 2012 at 15:07 #

She is too old to be dressing up like a 5 year old stuck in mom’s closet.

16. Leti February 28, 2012 at 16:10 #

I hate this, at least, on Clare. I might have given it a pass on another, younger actress, but on Clare, this is not working for me on any level. This is a rare occasion where a dress has more volume than it did on the runway, and it doesn’t work, either.

17. Alina February 28, 2012 at 16:44 #

Too cute.

18. Brooke March 1, 2012 at 18:36 #

To me this reads as a direct reference to the Mollie Ringwald movie Pretty in Pink from the 1980s (link: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i5kw8_0L9kQ/TVrrHURwbJI/AAAAAAAAEeU/t51gEHM_eXw/s400/1.jpg), which I think is supported by the fact that she wore it to the after parties and not the main event. It was her moment to have a bit of fun and get completely out of character and she certainly did that :)