24.02.12

With so many events happening yesterday evening, Jessica Chastain opted to attend The Hollywood Reporter’s ‘Nominees’ Night 2012′ which was a celebration of the 84th Annual Academy Awards, held Getty House in LA.

It has taken us a while to warm to Jessica’s red carpet style, but in the lead up to the Oscars she appears to be stepping out of her comfort zone.

This week we’ve already seen her wearing a daring Alexander McQueen look and her best look to date; Elie Saab.

Casadei silver sandals and a spiralled updo completed her look.

Sophia Bush In Katharine Kidd - The Art Of Elysium Hosts 5th Annual 'Pieces Of Heaven' Art Auction

Sophia Bush In Katharine Kidd – The Art Of Elysium Hosts 5th Annual ‘Pieces Of Heaven’ Art Auction

Paula Patton In Marchesa - 5th Annual ESSENCE Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon

Paula Patton In Marchesa – 5th Annual ESSENCE Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon

32 Responses to Jessica Chastain In Vivienne Westwood – The Hollywood Reporter’s Nominees Night 2012

1. AW February 24, 2012 at 16:11 #

Sloppy is a good word.

This entire look screams “OMG his wife burst into the bedroom before I could get my dress on the right way”.

The hair too.

• Caro February 24, 2012 at 22:49 #

LOL

2. cartouche February 24, 2012 at 16:14 #

I agree FC, this dress is truly unflattering..
    the hem and sleeves look very sloppy. aren’t westwood dresses usually corseted too? it is making her look so wide

3. Shelby February 24, 2012 at 16:37 #

I like the asymmetrical neckline, but I think it would have been better followed by a column dress. Maybe in a different fabric as well. I DO like that she changed up her hair with this look :)

• SkirtTheIssue February 24, 2012 at 21:11 #

Absolutely agree Shelby- the top of this dress would have worked better with a slick column skirt. I liked that she has tried something different with her hair too- but I think the sloppiness of the dress is highlighted by this do? I think it needed a slicker hairstyle to pull the look together better

4. dee February 24, 2012 at 16:44 #

If this was fitted more in the bodice this would have been a lovely look.

5. robbie February 24, 2012 at 16:49 #

it would look great if she had it more nipped in at the waist to give some shape. westwood dresses always seem to have the same problem for me though they always look as if there is too much excess fabric.

6. GiGi February 24, 2012 at 17:16 #

This poor thing needs a (new) stylist in the worst way. I am scared to see what she’ll wear to the Oscars.

I have never liked Vivienne Westwood dresses, and this is no exception. The only person who could (possibly) pull this nightmare off is HBC!!

7. Alina February 24, 2012 at 17:54 #

The hair is beautiful and the colour works for her.

8. Moxie February 24, 2012 at 17:56 #

The whole thing is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

9. Dhppy February 24, 2012 at 18:02 #

The Seinfeld “puffy shirt” episode comes to mind. This dress looks like it was hemmed by a 101 year old partially blind seamstress whom no one has the heart to let go, and as a good deed Jessica bravely wore her work in public.

• hally February 25, 2012 at 04:56 #

ha! I couldn’t have described it better. The hem in particular is truly embarrassing. I add Jessica to my list of women who need to fire their stylists. (Angelina Jolie and Katherine Heigl are tied for top spot on that list)

10. bm February 24, 2012 at 18:42 #

Like you said, love the color, but not the fit.

11. MG February 24, 2012 at 18:51 #

she looks tired. bad makeup/hair/dress option!

12. EmmaWoodhouse February 24, 2012 at 19:01 #

“On this occasion I’m not so enamoured, as I find her Vivienne Westwood dress highly unflattering.
    The colour is gorgeous, but the dress makes her look thicker around the waist and the draped sleeve looks sloppy.”
    Couldn’t say it better myself! Hope she cleans it up for the Oscars!

13. mattison February 24, 2012 at 19:15 #

The bottom hem looks unfinished and I wish the other side twisted off the shoulder, too- still wouldn’t be my favorite look, least of all with that prom hairstyle, but it wouldn’t look like a satin robe hanging off half of her body.

14. Nat39 February 24, 2012 at 19:42 #

Her sexy black Balenciaga was my fav/her best look in my opinion.

15. Giuseppi Giraffe February 24, 2012 at 19:49 #

I love the sloppy Vivienne Westwood look- THIS is what Chloe Moretz should have worn instead of the calf length black one.

16. Kennedy February 24, 2012 at 19:56 #

Why Jessica… WHY?! She teased us with one of the best looks I’ve seen on her and then she goes and throws on… this. On a slightly better note, I do love her hair like this.

Still holding out hope for Queen Jessica to blow us away at the Oscars. Would love to see her win too (even though she was nominated for the wrong film).

17. CoutureRani February 24, 2012 at 20:13 #

NOT a very good look. no likey

18. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) February 24, 2012 at 20:35 #

A mess. Somehow the color with her transluscent skin reminds me of veins. Looks like a Greys Anatomy illustration.

• Hannah February 24, 2012 at 23:15 #

I agree, the makeup and the greyish sheen on it just really washes her out. The shoes really don’t help. It just all looks a bit greywashed.

19. Nat February 24, 2012 at 20:59 #

Sloppy and unflattering.

Also, she tends to favour this kind of shiny/translucent fabrics, which are not really modern nor appealing, in my personal opinion.

20. Marian February 24, 2012 at 21:11 #

Hate the hem but love the shoes. A miss for me.

21. SandTony February 24, 2012 at 22:56 #

She looks fantastic from the waist up, plus the shoes, only from the waist down the dress is not very flattering

22. R. February 24, 2012 at 23:08 #

FC, did you see Leven Rambin? Blew this away!

• Fashion Critic February 25, 2012 at 01:50 #

No. I will check her out

23. Hannah February 24, 2012 at 23:11 #

Even she looks sad wearing it.
    I love the neckline, and that’s about it. I would have loved teh bleu had it been a proper blue, not a sickly blue. The hair is good, the makeup is blah, and I really don’t get the red toenails especially withthe clear fingernails.
    I think that her shoes are Casadei :)

24. Ramsay February 25, 2012 at 01:38 #

I think the main issue with Jessica Chastain is that she’s all over the place – she seems to lack a well defined style- she changes a lot whether designers, cuts, shapes, etc. which is a good thing but you want to keep some common ground to define your style – this is why i believe stylists for michelle williams and natalie portman for example have done a great job ( i actually think it’s the same person kate young) because they have really well defined their styles and thus crafted an image of these stars in people’s minds – i still don’t have an idea of who Jessuca Chastain is: at some point she seemed to remind me of nicole kidman then later if julianne moore then later of noone (which is the case niw) because i don’t she has defined a real identity for herself and this ill fitting dresses after the very well fitted elie saab is not helping out

25. pipsqueak February 25, 2012 at 01:39 #

I like the hair and the shoes, but the dress looked rather sad. She looked like a maid. And please … save this kind of neckline for your 50s and aboe (think Meryl, Oprah and even Viv Westwood).

26. Kaitlin February 25, 2012 at 07:42 #

What is with the neckline? It’s a unique dress, but it’s not doing anything for her except draping around her like a window curtain!

27. kiwi February 25, 2012 at 12:37 #