Rooney Mara In J. Mendel – 14th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

Rooney Mara also attended the 14th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards in Beverly Hills on Tuesday evening.

The actress gave us a new colour on the red carpet by wearing this plum J. Mendel Fall 2012 dress.

Rooney is one of the first actresses to wear a look from this collection which was presented just last week.

A plunging v-neck is a new look for Rooney, and despite her requisite ‘shy’ pose on the red carpet, she is working it.

Deep plum lips and lacquered hair add a signature goth touch.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Amber Heard In Antonio Berardi - Vanity Fair Montblanc Party

Amber Heard In Antonio Berardi – Vanity Fair Montblanc Party

Amy Adams In Roland Mouret - ‘Vanities’ 20th Anniversary Party

Amy Adams In Roland Mouret – ‘Vanities’ 20th Anniversary Party

34 Responses to Rooney Mara In J. Mendel – 14th Annual Costume Designers Guild Awards

1. EmmaWoodhouse February 22, 2012 at 20:04 #

Love the plum color but that dress has practically no top!

2. Pati February 22, 2012 at 20:15 #

Love it!

• SilentVisitor February 22, 2012 at 20:33 #

3. Nat39 February 22, 2012 at 20:20 #

Yes I think she is working it (although she still needs to work on her pose) – it’s in her facial expression, finally there’s some life and excitement in her eyes.
    The look feels a bit bare, unbalanced. Darker colour sandals would’ve made it more balanced.

4. Emma February 22, 2012 at 20:26 #

Finally a change! I love it…from head to toe

5. gabis February 22, 2012 at 20:34 #

I beg to differ. I don’t think she’s werking it. As much as I like to see her finally wearing a color other then black, and coordinating it with the lips to top it off, her attitude ruins it. She looks pretty uncomfy on her outfit and that is even clearer when compared to the runway model. Plus, I don’t know if she changed the dress or somehow ironed it down, but I prefer the runway version with the bouffant/volume skirt.

• AW February 22, 2012 at 23:30 #

Ditto

She sucks all the life out of this dress.

• Nina February 23, 2012 at 01:28 #

On the runway this dress was great, on Rooney, I don’t even know.

• Jones19 February 23, 2012 at 17:40 #

I don’t think she’s werking it either…I wish she was because this dress is HOT.

• bee7 February 24, 2012 at 16:04 #

actually she was looking pretty comfortable and confident in other pictures from this event. check them out on getty.

6. Carla February 22, 2012 at 20:36 #

This is lifeless on her; I prefer the fullness of the skirt on the runway.

7. paula February 22, 2012 at 20:39 #

i lov her minimalist style!waiting for more

8. fromchi-town February 22, 2012 at 20:56 #

I am not really digging the look. I am glad she wore a color other than black, I don’t like the matching lip color and also the dress kinda looks boring on her. The dress looks lovely on the runway.

9. Kennedy February 22, 2012 at 21:30 #

I actually really really like this dress and the way it looks on Rooney MINUS the lack of oomph around the waist. It’s much more flared on the runway which makes the look IMO.

FC, why do you think a plunging neckline is new for Rooney? I feel like this is standard. Just curious. Wasn’t her GG look in the plunging territory? And I thought her Miu Miu ensemble she wore while promoting Dragon Tattoo was more plunging than not.

10. Mol February 22, 2012 at 21:59 #

Perfection to me: a change but still true to her minimalist style……and that plum color, oh my, soooooo good!

11. Leti February 22, 2012 at 22:06 #

I like this on Rooney, but I would have liked it more had she worn the skirt as full as the runway model. She could have done more with her accessories, as well. There’s minimalism, and then there’s bare.

12. anna February 22, 2012 at 22:19 #

i liked the look!
    loved the shoes!

13. Sonya February 22, 2012 at 22:52 #

What a gorgeous colour!

• Alina February 23, 2012 at 16:06 #

14. MG February 22, 2012 at 23:32 #

love the look. but i’m starting to hate the hair. can she try sth with volume?

15. Sharon February 23, 2012 at 00:13 #

The color is beautiful and looks great on her, but I’m tired of her pose. The runway version has so much more life. Rooney’s version looks like it got caught in the rain. Different shoes would’ve helped.

16. bm February 23, 2012 at 04:56 #

I think, if she choose to plum lippie, then she should not wore the nude sandals, instead the red or black strappy sandals.

17. kiwi February 23, 2012 at 05:52 #

Loooove the colour but.. she is not working it

18. Kyriaki-Cyprus February 23, 2012 at 08:10 #

I love the colour of the dress, her make up and hairstyle. The skirt part of the dress is nice but the plunging v-neck not so nice. On the other hand,it isn’t as dreadful as Viola Davis’, so in general it’s a nice look from her.

19. lila February 23, 2012 at 12:13 #

No, sorry, not working it at all. She’s making the dress look like a short jumpsuit. And plunging v-neck is not flattering and falls flat when you don’t have a lot of boobage going on.
    I agree with MG on the hair… and giving what she’s done with the dress… is she what a girl against volume? LOL

20. Carolina Roq February 23, 2012 at 13:43 #

She always looks so uncomfortable.

21. Dhppy February 23, 2012 at 17:32 #

I love the look. I like that she sticks to her minimalist aesthetic. She carries it off well. I agree that this dress would do well with dark shoes, but the nude works too. Thank goodness, she left the gloves on the runway.

22. Parvati February 23, 2012 at 18:46 #

This dress is a refreshing change for Rooney Mara, but I think she looks really uncomfortable here.

23. christine February 24, 2012 at 00:10 #

Why is it that this girl sucks the life out of al the amazing dresses she wears? its so frustrating. the dresses always seem to look better on the models than on her and it has nothing to do with her figure, just her attitude. it was interesting for a while now I’m done with it.

24. Katharine February 24, 2012 at 04:33 #

I’d love to see Rooney Mara wearing her hair in a Louise Brooks bob, rather than the Three Stooges homage, but she looks great here – fantastic colour on her.

25. Airi February 24, 2012 at 08:19 #

I like the plum color on her, and I wish she’ll wear something to the OSCARS in another shade than black (this color will do, but I hope to see her in, like, red wine shade of gown). It doesn’t hurt if she’ll accessorize a bit, even a simple pair of earrings or an eye-catching clutch will do (both my mom and I noticed that she doesn’t accessorize much). And yeah, she really needs to work on her poise in the red carpets. She should relax and enjoy.

About the dress, my own pair of boobies feel chilly for hers (hehe), and the shoes should have been black instead.

26. morgan February 24, 2012 at 08:57 #

I think this is a great look for her! If you look at other pictures of her in this dress, she’s smiling and happy. This is just an unflattering picture of her unfortunately.

27. Jess2 February 24, 2012 at 15:01 #

woohooo what a new and gorgeous colour!!

28. Michelle February 24, 2012 at 17:12 #

That colour is devine and my girl crush continues. She is awesome.