Hayden Panettiere In Gucci – ‘Vanities’ 20th Anniversary Party

It’s déjà vu all over again.

At the ‘Vanities’ 20th anniversary party in Hollywood on Monday night, Hayden Panettiere walked the red carpet in a dress that we’ve already seen not once, but twice before.

Both Eva Mendes and Karen Elson have donned this bright red Gucci Fall 2011 silk chiffon gown.

This 70s-inspired dress is so gorgeous that I can understand why we keep seeing it on the red carpet.

Hayden attempted to put her own spin on the gown with a bright yellow Laura Merkin clutch and Louboutin snakeskin platforms.

Does Hayden wear the look better than Eva and Karen?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Taylor Swift In Honor - 'Dr. Suess' The Lorax' Los Angeles Premiere

Taylor Swift In Honor – ‘Dr. Suess’ The Lorax’ Los Angeles Premiere

Florence Welch In Alexander McQueen - The Universal Brit Awards After Party

Florence Welch In Alexander McQueen – The Universal Brit Awards After Party

25 Responses to Hayden Panettiere In Gucci – ‘Vanities’ 20th Anniversary Party

1. dan February 22, 2012 at 12:05 #

i like the platforms they’re cool, but im not too sure on the yellow clutch???

2. Jess2 February 22, 2012 at 12:27 #

I much prefer Hayden’s updo with this dress. I don’t like the combination of the shoes and clutch though, I think she should have gone for one standout piece not two.

3. Claire February 22, 2012 at 12:32 #

Karen owns it

• Mol February 22, 2012 at 13:37 #

Agreed!

4. Ade February 22, 2012 at 12:40 #

Does she wear it better than Eva and Karen?

Short answer: NO, Long answer: Hell NOOO

This dress looks like an Asos imitation on her

5. Linda February 22, 2012 at 12:44 #

I don’t like this dress at all. It’s matronly and the colour is jarring in a dress with that much fabric. That said, I dislike it least on Hayden, who tones it down with her light colouring and the yellow clutch.

6. FC February 22, 2012 at 12:47 #

Deja-vu!
    Eva Mendes wins.

• Rebecca Z February 22, 2012 at 15:27 #

Totally! On Hayden it looks like a mother of the bride dress.

7. Jacqu February 22, 2012 at 13:45 #

It’s a great dress, but she looks way too young for it.

8. Fiona-Brasil February 22, 2012 at 13:58 #

Eva and Karen any day!Hayden is way too young and too short for this dress.Frankly I don’t like the dress or/and the yellow clutch with the dress.

9. Carolina February 22, 2012 at 14:13 #

Eva, for me. But my mom had this sort of thing in the 70s. I am irreconcilably reminded of Lawrence Welk with this style.

10. EmmaWoodhouse February 22, 2012 at 14:22 #

The yellow clutch is horrendous, and the dress is too old for her. I don’t really like the dress, but Eva Mendes looked the best in it.

11. Emi February 22, 2012 at 14:24 #

No, she doesn’t, absolutely. The dress should have been longer, and the yellow purse is a terrible choice.

12. Alina February 22, 2012 at 14:34 #

I think she would have won the battle with the others two, but she ruined it with the yellow clutch.

• Nat39 February 22, 2012 at 17:47 #

She totally ruined her look with the yellow clutch, why in the world did she choose it as the statement piece I really can’t understand, it takes all the attention away from this pretty flowy dress entirely. Bad.

13. robbie February 22, 2012 at 14:43 #

light flowy and airy dress weighed down by bricks.

14. AW February 22, 2012 at 15:22 #

I love this dress and she looks great but I think Eva looked better

15. bm February 22, 2012 at 15:37 #

Karen Elson, of course.

16. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) February 22, 2012 at 16:10 #

I don’t care for the dress. I think the Gucci name is giving its patina of cool. Looks like it came from a resale shop specializing in 70s frocks to me.

Loathe the yellow clutch and shoes.

17. Sonya February 22, 2012 at 22:54 #

She’s far too petite and delicate for this dress, she’s swimming in it.

18. Clover February 23, 2012 at 01:32 #

Hey FC, honest question – why is it so bad for more than one person to wear a dress? I see you sometimes refer to it as a ‘rerun’, and mostly the talk I see is that it’s a negative thing. Myself, I *love* the ‘who wore it better’ comparison that comes along with more than one person wearing the same dress, and seeing someone interpret a piece differently, but it seems to be really frowned on. Shouldn’t a stunning piece be given a few chances to make an impact? I’d love to hear your thoughts, and everyones thoughts actually.

• Fashion Critic February 23, 2012 at 06:27 #

I think with so many looks by so many designers, why wear a dress that someone else has worn?

• Dhppy February 23, 2012 at 18:05 #

From the point of view of those of us watching the looks, I can see why repeats are either boring or a downright bad decision considering unflattering comparisons are bound to be made. However, if I were the one with the good fortune to wear a dress I truly adored (I’m thinking of you Elie Saab), I wouldn’t care if 15 celebrities wore it before me.

19. Dhppy February 23, 2012 at 18:00 #

It’s a shame none of the women kept the original neck detail, which is one of the things I like most about the dress. I think in Panettiere’s version, either the shoes or the handbag work well with the dress, just not together. Even though I tend to detest the 70s styles, I have to admit this is a good dress since all three look quite pretty in it. However, Karen Elson has that model training that puts her over the top.

20. bianca March 3, 2012 at 23:21 #

Eva Mendes is clearly the winner, here