Emma Watson In Valentino – Lancôme Pre-BAFTA Party

As the face of Lancôme, Emma Watson was the guest of honour at the Lancôme Pre-BAFTA Party which was held at The Savoy Hotel in London this evening.

The British actress wore a red Valentino Pre-Fall 2012 mini dress with a lace top and a satin bubble skirt with a side bow.

Her hair was slicked back with a side-parting and she added a pop of red to her lips.

I really want to love this look, but I just can’t.

Emma’s looks are starting to give me a strong case of déjà vu.

Lace mini dress, check. Lacquered locks, check. Bold lip colour, check.

I don’t know about you, but as nice as this is (sans Christian Louboutin shoes) it’s nothing new to me.

Time to change the hairstyle or be more experimental with her dress choices me thinks.

I’m dying to know what you guys think.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nina Hoss In Elie Saab - ‘Les Adieux de la Reine’ Berlinale Film Festival Premiere

Nina Hoss In Elie Saab – ‘Les Adieux de la Reine’ Berlinale Film Festival Premiere

Virginie Ledoyen In Chanel - Les Adieux de la Reine’ Berlinale Film Festival Premiere

Virginie Ledoyen In Chanel – Les Adieux de la Reine’ Berlinale Film Festival Premiere

58 Responses to Emma Watson In Valentino – Lancôme Pre-BAFTA Party

1. Katie February 10, 2012 at 22:48 #

I love it, so chic, but still fresh and young. Love her!

• Emma February 10, 2012 at 23:29 #

• Foteini P. February 10, 2012 at 23:46 #

• Kennedy February 11, 2012 at 00:19 #

Agreed. How is this not up for BDOTW?!!

• Liz February 11, 2012 at 01:56 #

Completely agree. I love it from head to toe! Perfection. I love that she didn’t wear red shoes like the model. I didn’t like it when Michelle Williams wore red shoes with her Valentino at the SAG awards.

Emma also looked stunning in the black Valentino she wore earlier today.

2. Effie February 10, 2012 at 22:55 #

I agree completely, the shape of this dress is her go to look now and it feels very played out. To be honest, i also happen to think it’s not the most flattering cut either. It would be a beautiful look on anyone else right now, but on her, it exhausts me.

3. Annie February 10, 2012 at 22:57 #

i agree with you, i think that we are all expecting more from young actresses especially since the like of felicity jones and rooney mara

• Lisa February 10, 2012 at 23:48 #

rooney mara? really? she just wear black-white color…

• taksi February 11, 2012 at 02:29 #

But the looks have been consistently interesting. Minimalist but still feminine. Her stylist has done a fantastic job.

• Kennedy February 12, 2012 at 06:27 #

I thought she had 2 standout pieces… the Prabal Gurung black dress and the red Valentino. I wanted to like the Givenchy “corpse bride” look but Rooney just doesn’t sell it for me. Everything else was a bit meh. I think she certainly stands out amongst the ingenue girls at the moment because she isn’t dressing bright and colorful but her looks have been way too repetitive- something black with cutouts and no smile. Personally, I prefer Felicity Jones if I had to pick the shining fashion star class of 2012 ;)

4. Hermione Weasley February 10, 2012 at 22:57 #

I, for once, am glad that she wore color. But I agree with you, the dress is nothing new. So tired of the slicked back hair (Evan Rachel Wood has shorter hair than her and tried out so many stiles!). The make-up + slicked back hair is too heavy for me. And I absolutely don’t like the shoes. I much prefer the other Valentino look from earlier today.

5. Hisadora February 10, 2012 at 23:01 #

I think she looks amazing…. but I really dislike those black pumps, why those???? :(

• Liz February 11, 2012 at 01:56 #

Those Christian Louboutins are amazing. I want them.

• Voldamawt February 11, 2012 at 05:32 #

I agree, the shoes are simple and chic
        And her looks may be consist of similar elements, but I think she looks amazing every time, and her looks are far more interesting than many others

• Pati February 11, 2012 at 12:10 #

I too think she looks great, but the shoes! Why oh why?? I appreciate their´re not plain black heavy pumps, but they´re still black… Strangest choice.

6. Barbs February 10, 2012 at 23:04 #

I agree with you. Same old, same old. The shoes don’t go at all with the dress.

7. Hannah February 10, 2012 at 23:11 #

The lace, the full skirt the smile & the pose remind me so so much of that one London premiere look she wore for Harry Potter 7 (I think)in Rafael Lopez.

• Fashion Critic February 10, 2012 at 23:12 #

yes, both Rafael Lopez dresses

• Jerusa February 11, 2012 at 23:55 #

Yesss! I was trying to remember the dress lace top and feathers on the skirt. I agree with you FC she looks GREAT but nothing I haven’t seen before.

• mm February 10, 2012 at 23:42 #

I was thinking the same. The shoes arent helping. I can see what you mean about heading to a style rut. But I still like it.

8. firien February 10, 2012 at 23:13 #

I think this is exciting enough to pass. Sans the shoes, of course.
    If we forgave Taylor Swift all those many light-coloured mini dresses, I don’t think there’s anything to complain about.

9. Fiona February 10, 2012 at 23:22 #

I see your point, she has used this look many times successfully but it seems like time has stood still for her clothes. I do like the dress, don’t think the shoes do anything for it, would love her to try something different though.

10. gabis February 10, 2012 at 23:25 #

D’you know when you know something is wrong but can’t tell exactly what it is? This is how I feel about this look. The bright color of the dress, the bold lips and the black loboutins somehow are just not working together.
    Her makeup isn’t really agreeing with the dress either. While the dress feels fresh and young, the makeup ages her.

11. Ola February 10, 2012 at 23:32 #

Am I the only one who thinks she looks like a wrapped gift? I usually love her looks, but this is too sweet.

12. EmmaWoodhouse February 10, 2012 at 23:40 #

I didn’t like this collection–to eighies, and this dress is no exception. I do like the color on her, though, but this is not a great look. :(

13. What Is The New Black February 10, 2012 at 23:44 #

I get your point and I’ve been starting to feel the same way about many of her looks, but I actually think that this one stood out. I love the design och the color of the dress and I think it’s a great look for her!

14. Lisa February 10, 2012 at 23:49 #

I think she looks gorgeous.

15. V February 11, 2012 at 00:18 #

cute enough in theory, but she isn’t tall enough to wear this dress – you can tell because the skirt sits too low on the hips! unfortunate choice.

16. Rebecca Z February 11, 2012 at 00:31 #

I really like the makeup and the dress is pretty, but I agree it is time for a change. She is growing up and can go more chic and sophisticated than she does. And I agree that a dropped waist with a puffy skirt is not the very best shape for her–too girlish.

17. Lena February 11, 2012 at 00:38 #

I agree that she’s kinda fallen into a formula, but I have to love this look (minus the shoes) if not for anything else because the color is the most amazing red she could have found for her coloring, that said I really miss the old experimenting Emma. Many of her looks may have been fails back then but at least each year brought surprises.

18. Sharon February 11, 2012 at 02:22 #

What I think, FC, is that she looks like she’s going to a Christmas party with a cute holiday dress and bad shoes. And then of course there’s my usual bugaboo: stand up straight, please.

19. taksi February 11, 2012 at 02:29 #

It’s repeat but why not go for what works? She looks good.

20. lu February 11, 2012 at 02:32 #

I actually like this, I know what you mean about the deja vu, she wore a very similar one in black, with same hair and lips, but I like this one better (except for the shoes), love the color on her.

21. Anne February 11, 2012 at 02:34 #

I totally agree with you on this! Definitely a change of hairstyle is in order.

22. Megs22 February 11, 2012 at 04:45 #

I love the bodice of the dress, but that is all. Too much makeup for someone so naturally lovely.

23. jas February 11, 2012 at 05:36 #

there is definitely something wrong… can’t put my finger on it. maybe the skirt needs to sit higher? cos it just doesn’t look as cute as it does on the model. it even looks a bit manly with the neckline… maybe a necklace? shoes are terrible.

24. Li February 11, 2012 at 05:46 #

The shoes are definitely too heavy for this look, though on their own, they are still very nice shoes. And yes, Emma does seem to be following a formula but you know what? It works, and it looks good. I think too many people want and expect ‘trends’ and ‘fashion’ irrespective of whether or not it looks good and it is appropriate. I would rather have Emma Watson wearing the same silhouettes over and over and see someone like Alexa Chung being ‘trendy’ and ‘cutting-edge’.

25. Alina February 11, 2012 at 05:53 #

Boring.

26. Guest February 11, 2012 at 05:55 #

“I’m dying to know what you guys think.”

I think she’s going to be a little embarrassed when she finds out her right pastie came off inside her dress before these photos were taken.

Heh.

27. bee7 February 11, 2012 at 06:02 #

mini and the same hair, this has become a formula for her. but fret not, she is growing her hair out! in months she’ll be probably sporting a new hair style. back to this, the dress is lovely but i hate that ugly shoes.

28. Jem February 11, 2012 at 06:27 #

I think the proportion of the dress on her is what’s throwing me off. There is too much lace. the Skirt part should start closer to the natural waist line. I think she could have done something more fun with her hair too.

29. kiwi February 11, 2012 at 08:06 #

well…. I love this look, the colour is lovely.. don’t know why she worse black shoes???

30. Alex February 11, 2012 at 10:08 #

It’s her statement look, so what? I love it!

31. Bec James February 11, 2012 at 12:46 #

I think EW looks amazing. Love the dress and colour on her. Definitely one of my fave looks for Emma.

32. Lina February 11, 2012 at 13:33 #

I think she’s been boring for a while now. Bring back Caroline Sieber.

33. Jess2 February 11, 2012 at 14:21 #

I really want to like this as well, and I do a little bit but I am a bit tired of the slicked back hair, I would like to see her do something different. I’m not really sure what is that makes this look a bit off for me but I am not loving it.

34. Emi February 11, 2012 at 15:15 #

I think that with better shoes it would have been a prefect outfit. Black shoes are not a good choice.

35. Sophie February 11, 2012 at 15:38 #

For someone so young she almost always wears way too much makeup on the red carpet. That’s what bugs me the most about her style

36. Lucía February 11, 2012 at 15:54 #

I really like the look, I love the color on her. However I do get what you say FC, I had a dèja vu feeling when I saw this too, and I’m also getting tired of that hair.

37. Delphine February 11, 2012 at 16:11 #

I like the dress, but i’m not a big fan ( Déjà vu at the premiere of HP and the deathly hallows part 1 in London.)

38. Jess February 11, 2012 at 18:40 #

I love current Valentino, but this is too 80′s! I never really liked Emma or understood the fascination with her…

• MEME February 12, 2012 at 06:13 #

I definately agree… it is 80′s prom Queen… although I like the look… I think her smile is throwin’ it off…. it looks very Katerina Witt circa ’94 Olympics…. but wit’ black sexy heels…

39. Ericka February 11, 2012 at 22:30 #

I disagree. I think she looks fabulous here. There is a nod to the 80s but I think she keeps it modern, young, fun. Gorgeous girl.

40. msd February 11, 2012 at 22:38 #

The skirt seems to have lost its shape on her, somehow. It looks sort of droopy compared to the model. It’s certainly not a bad look but as you say, her styling is getting monotonous. She just needs to shake things up a bit I think.

41. Parvati February 12, 2012 at 02:48 #

It’s not that bad, but it’s not very good, either. I agree about the hairstyle and I think the dress isn’t very flattering for her. Plus, I don’t understand why she wore black shoes with an all-red outfit. Red shoes would have been too much, but she could have worn nude, or silver, or gold sandals…

• MEME February 12, 2012 at 06:15 #

I love her short hair by the way…. best decision ever made to cut it….

42. Tiffany Nicole February 13, 2012 at 21:52 #

your instincts are right on. reminds me of when she first gave of this look in a black dress with the same pose. SHe killed then. She bores now. The shoes hurt my feelings … a lot.

43. Jessica&Nick March 13, 2012 at 04:59 #

I think she could be better.