Charlotte Gainsbourg In Balenciaga – 2012 Berlinale Film Festival

Balenciaga’s Creative Director, Nicolas Ghesquière, has forged a powerful bond with Charlotte Gainsbourg.

The French actress and singer is regarded as his muse and she has recently fronted the campaign for Balenciaga’s latest fragrance, l’Essence.

Charlotte is one of the jury members for Berlinale Film Festival, so we shouldn’t be surprised that all her looks so far have been Balenciaga.

On Thursday she joined Jake Gyllenhaal for the Jury Photocall during day one of the 62nd Berlinale Film Festival.

She wore one of my favourite looks from the Balenciaga Spring 2012 collection which included a simple white vest, paired with terracotta pants with an orange pocket.

This is a great look for Charlotte, but I prefer the colour of the runway shoes.

Later on that same evening, Charlotte joined Diane Kruger and Lea Seydoux on the red carpet for the ‘Les Adieux de la Reine’ premiere wearing her second look from the Balenciaga Spring 2012 collection.

Whilst Charlotte is staying true to her style, I’m not crazy about this look. Even though it is simply a pleated blouse and colour-block shorts, it’s not really a premiere-worthy look and she has muted it with the tights.

I would’ve loved her to have worn one of Balenciaga’s gowns from the archives.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jil Sander Navy Fall 2012

Jil Sander Navy Fall 2012

Gabrielle Union In Amsale - 'Think Like A Man' LA Premiere

Gabrielle Union In Amsale – ‘Think Like A Man’ LA Premiere

31 Responses to Charlotte Gainsbourg In Balenciaga – 2012 Berlinale Film Festival

1. eimearoconnor February 10, 2012 at 13:30 #

Eh….. no. Hate! Ugh.

2. Jones19 February 10, 2012 at 13:34 #

I have no idea who this girl is but she looks great, Balenciaga seems to suit her.

• Alina February 10, 2012 at 14:15 #

• mm February 10, 2012 at 16:48 #

She is a very good actress she was in Jane Eyre and Golden Door.

The color of the shoes are distracting with each look for me.

3. Luiza February 10, 2012 at 13:38 #

i LOVE the second look on the model. but Charlotte styling is horrible. and she should have done something with her hair

4. Martin February 10, 2012 at 13:38 #

I love Charlotte and generally adore Balenciaga (although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the S/S 2012 collection), so it pains me to say this – Charlotte’s photo call look is one of the worst that I have seen on the red carpet this year. Those pants are an affront to humanity and I hope to the heavens that I never see them grace a red carpet again. I actually can’t think of the last time that I saw a pant as unflattering to the female form as that terracota monstrosity, adorned for no particular reason with a puzzlingly oversized orange pocket. Even Liu Wen on the runway, who would be a size 0, is struggling to make them work. Truly horrid.

• CreoleLady February 10, 2012 at 15:32 #

Rotflmao. +1.

• Jess2 February 11, 2012 at 15:06 #

+2 you are so funny Martin, love your comment

• Lee February 12, 2012 at 05:43 #

Lol! I couldn’t agree more. And those shoes are hideous!

5. allie February 10, 2012 at 13:44 #

Horrible

6. AW February 10, 2012 at 13:53 #

How could anyone think it acceptable to stand next to sexy Jake looking so terrible?

I actually like the top and pants, just not on her and not with those shoes. The hair and makeup is HORRIBLE.

The second look is awful from head to toe.

• andrea February 10, 2012 at 16:44 #

+1. Even Mr. Ghesquière appears to be second guessing his choices in the photo – whether it be the muse or the outfit.

• Jess February 10, 2012 at 17:37 #

that’s not Nicolas Ghesquière in the photo! Or were you joking…?

7. dee February 10, 2012 at 13:55 #

I like the first look. The red carpet look is awful.

8. Cátia Santos Reis February 10, 2012 at 13:59 #

I think she looks amazing. The second look may not be a “premiere” look but she’s rocking it. In my opinion, she’s one of the few actresses with real personal style.

9. Luis February 10, 2012 at 13:59 #

Love Balenciaga…

10. CTgirl February 10, 2012 at 14:53 #

Charlotte has such a sense of self that she pretty much makes whatever is put on her back work. You go girl!

11. Naomi February 10, 2012 at 15:11 #

I can see why some people don’t like her style, for me it seems an acquired taste. I like her aesthetics and fashion sense. It is unusual, but together it just works out.

12. TeaAtTwo February 10, 2012 at 15:37 #

The 1st look is cool, I would have preferred the pants without the orange patch. I’m kinda liking the foot wear too. The 2nd look should have been saved for another photo-call or something informal. One of the dresses or the pants from look 22 or 23 with the halter top or printed blouse may have been a better choice for the smarter occasion.

13. Rebecca Z February 10, 2012 at 16:21 #

I can agree with just about all of these comments, both positive and negative. I wish she didn’t have her hands in the pockets of the skirt because they distort the line terribly. Yes, she has her own style and this Balenciaga collection is a good match for it. I also agree that she could do more to turn herself out for the event–hair and makeup are a terrible let down.

14. rita February 10, 2012 at 17:05 #

My problem with French actresses ( I am French lol) is they tend to forget that on the RC you can be natural without being “too natural”. They forget to put make up on and especially Charlotte, she thinks she can get away with no washing or brushing her hair, which kills most of her looks to me. She always looks unhygienic and untidy and when you wear a great outfit I don’t care for it anymore. Come on, you don’t need to look fake but a little glamour wouldn’t hurt and I don’t think besides Marion Cotillard ( and sometime Audrey Toutou) that a lot of French have the @glamour@ on the red carpet. We saw it with Berenice Bejo, she is gorgeous man man she always looks like she’s just left the Parisian market and put her Eli Saab gown in a hurry!

15. Jeremy February 10, 2012 at 17:47 #

I personally think she looks effortlessly amazing. Nicolas Ghesquière once said “not every girls can wear Balenciaga”. And I rarely see anyone who can pull a Balenciaga’s runway look beside Jennifer Connelly and Gainsbourg. So kudos for her making these look work.

16. mol February 10, 2012 at 17:52 #

The shoes seem clumsy and oversized – that is what jumps out at me. The outfits themselves are intriguing and seem to suit her style, but I agree that the bottom one doesn’t measure up for a premiere.

17. Shauni212 February 10, 2012 at 18:03 #

I actually love the look with the red pants. It was one of the few looks from this collection that I actually did like. The second look is kind of sloppy.

18. Francois B February 10, 2012 at 20:27 #

Oh! I had pictured this look on Zoe Saldana and Charlotte finally wears it ^^ I didn’t expect her actually!

19. Tiffany Nicole February 10, 2012 at 21:07 #

Diggin everything about everything about this look. Dying and giving my last regards about her shoe!

20. Shaina February 10, 2012 at 22:08 #

I love the first ensemble, she looks amazing and I don’t mind the shoes at all. I actually prefer that color. The second look is great (minus the tights) but I do agree that this isn’t very event appropriate.

21. Fiona February 10, 2012 at 23:31 #

Not for me, the pants are unflattering but I like the colours in both outfits. I just dislike Charlotte Gainsbourg’s sloppy almost slovenly appearance, I don’t get the fascination people have with her and her personal style. I still haven’t recovered from her pregnancy look I think it was at Cannes.

22. EmmaWoodhouse February 10, 2012 at 23:53 #

No. Both are terrible! Sloppy, messy, odd…I don’t like either at all!

23. kiwi February 11, 2012 at 09:55 #

nope-both looks don’t work for me