I nearly had a heart attack when I came across the pictures of Sarah Jessica Parker on the red carpet at the amfAR New York Gala to kick off Fall 2012 Fashion Week this morning.

I was shocked to see her wearing a Theyskens’ Theory ‘Jotor’ leather biker jacket over her Oscar de la Renta Pre-Fall 2012 gown.

After a frantic search I was able to find a picture without the jacket which fully revealed that her pink crimped pleated gown was teamed with a beautiful statement necklace.

Phew.

Back to SJP’s arrival red carpet look – you can see her pointy grey pumps which matched the grey leather shoulder bag she carried under her arm.

Why didn’t she just carry a clutch?

White gloves completed her look.

Once again I’m left baffled by SJP’s choice of accessories.

You can buy SJP’s Theyskens’ Theory leather jacket from Net-A-Porter.com.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Reese Witherspoon In Miu Miu - 'This Means War' LA Premiere

Reese Witherspoon In Miu Miu – ‘This Means War’ LA Premiere

Beyonce Knowles In Monique Lhuillier - Jay-Z Performs At Carnegie Hall

Beyonce Knowles In Monique Lhuillier – Jay-Z Performs At Carnegie Hall

36 Responses to Sarah Jessica Parker In Oscar de la Renta – amfAR New York Gala To Kick Off Fall 2012 Fashion Week

1. Terry February 9, 2012 at 12:44 #

The dress and that crystal necklace are gorgeous, but the jacket, the gloves and the *shoulder* bag (the horror!) are just incredibly out of place. It’s a pity because she ruined a potential showstopper.

• Nat February 9, 2012 at 12:58 #

Well, I adore leather jackets with basically everything, and I think it gives a great contrast to the cutesy dress, but the shoes and especially the bag are a miss.

2. CTgirl February 9, 2012 at 12:54 #

Maybe she bought into the myth of Carrie Bradshaw and not having the services of the show’s stylist available is leading to these bizarre choices.

• Maria66 February 9, 2012 at 14:40 #

i was totally going to say the same about her being Carrie…

3. Martin February 9, 2012 at 13:10 #

I’m baffled by this entire look frankly. Sarah Jessica Parker has got to put an end to this contrived quirkiness of hers, it is getting quite tiresome. The dress is okay (although the shininess of the fabric gives it a slightly cheap look for me), but everything else is pretty diabolical. The necklace gives new meaning to the word “overdone”, the leather jacket makes no sense in the context of a floor-length de la Renta gown, the shoes and bag look like accessories that one would wear with a pant suit to work and the gloves … well, the less said about those, the better.

• Alina February 9, 2012 at 13:29 #

DITTO.

4. rita February 9, 2012 at 13:30 #

Her and Blake lively need to know that is OK to have a stylist. He or she knows fashion better than themselves, that’s their jobs,dressing up people! I understand she doesn’t like clutches ( like Jessica Chastain) but then she needs to lay off the OVER accessories. It kills the entire look every time. SMH

5. bee7 February 9, 2012 at 13:32 #

i’ll just pretend that i have never seen the photo of her wearing the leather jacket+ grey pumps+ white gloves. she did look fabulous in the second photo with the necklace.

6. Jess2 February 9, 2012 at 13:33 #

The red carpet picture nearly killed me!! I love the dress on the runway, it is gorgeous. I like the look once the jacket, bag and gloves are gone and you can’t see the shoes. The necklace is lovely and works really well but I cannot get past the first picture!!

7. Innaker February 9, 2012 at 13:40 #

can’t get pass her face, she looks BAD, and that’s just me being subtle. gosh.

8. robbie February 9, 2012 at 13:47 #

call me crazy but i love it, sarah jessica and only sarah jessica could pull off a look like this.

• noo February 10, 2012 at 00:36 #

we are the minority my friend :D

• Katerina - Greece February 10, 2012 at 10:52 #

I totally agree!!!

9. Manja February 9, 2012 at 14:13 #

I don’t see anything wrong with her face,but jacket,gloves and even shoes are not working at all,not even on her.And she can pull lot of things off,but not this time.2nd photo I like a lot,that neckalce is vau,but I like it.

10. Tamia February 9, 2012 at 14:19 #

I LOVE the jacket!it’s her way of saying “yeah,Im wearing a ball gown but guess what?I’m also really cool”love the contrast of the black against the pink too

11. TeaAtTwo February 9, 2012 at 14:24 #

Who the hell thinks biker jacket when they’re going to a formal gala? Also, what’s up the Madonna gloves? Why does she always avoid a elegant evening pure or minaudière? The fabric of the doesn’t look look great either. Car crash couture indeed.

12. fromchi-town February 9, 2012 at 14:50 #

This could have been a great look. But frankly the biker jacket, the bag, the gloves – it all screams trying too hard. We get it – you want to be cool and quirky and different. But it doesn’t work here. Also, honestly I am not a big fan of the color of the dress on her.

13. Ariel February 9, 2012 at 14:59 #

The bottom picture for BDOTW! That necklace is stunning!

14. vanessa February 9, 2012 at 15:03 #

gorgeous dress.. necklace fits so well.

15. mandy February 9, 2012 at 15:11 #

That necklace and that dress is just so amazing together ! Just love it ! Everything else got to go !!

16. roxana February 9, 2012 at 15:21 #

SJP doesn’t have a great style. she is famous for the amazing clothes she wore in sex and the city, but the reality is sometimes tragic.

• T. February 9, 2012 at 16:03 #

I agree! +1

17. mol February 9, 2012 at 15:45 #

The top image seems beyond ridiculous, but in the bottom photo, she recovers somewhat, wonder what she’s holding in her hand – table napkin? Closest she seems to get to a clutch – haha…

18. T. February 9, 2012 at 16:02 #

Why is she wearing that jacket, the gloves and the shoulder bag??? It’s horrible!

19. Emi February 9, 2012 at 18:25 #

Just another tasteless outfit from her, she chooses terrible accessories sometimes.

20. CreoleLady February 9, 2012 at 18:36 #

Heh, these comments are hilarious — and so is SJP in that first picture.

21. Hannah February 9, 2012 at 19:04 #

I’m pained to say it, but this just reminds me so much of when Lindsay Lohan wore a leather jacket with her Nina Ricci sbeautiful silver gown a few years ago.

22. Linda February 9, 2012 at 19:17 #

LOL at “After a frantic search I was able to find a picture without the jacket”. I like the hair, necklace and dress, but not the rest.

23. Aline February 9, 2012 at 20:32 #

OMG this dress is so beautiful, why did she have to ruin it?!!? I honestly feel like crying. You just don’t do that with an Oscar de la Renta gown. You just don’t.

24. Parvati February 9, 2012 at 21:07 #

The gown with this necklace is BEAUTIFUL, but everyhting else is just wrong for me.

25. Elisa February 9, 2012 at 21:33 #

Often I just find her looks a bit too much “crazy bag lady”. I like her, it’s not that, but I’m always able to take away at least two of the pieces and think that it would be better.

26. EmmaWoodhouse February 9, 2012 at 22:02 #

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Stop it! This dress is beautiful, why would she do that? The jacket…the handbag…the shoes…atrocious.
    P.S. I do like the necklace :)

27. Vidhya February 10, 2012 at 00:08 #

the material looks so cheap .. and all these loads of accesories just make her look ridiculous.. pink and grey is a pretty classic combination but a grey handbag and pointy pumps?? not really! The gloves are just tragic and the biker jacket is her trying too hard as always!

28. Stylista February 10, 2012 at 06:48 #

Mid-life crisis?!? I really don’t know.. I used to love SJP’s style, but lately her accesories are so out of place…

29. Kudzi February 12, 2012 at 07:48 #

Love the dress hate the jacket and gloves worn with
    the dress

30. Iconiclook.com February 13, 2012 at 09:50 #

Love the color of the first pink dress. The second one looks cheap/