06.02.12

Rooney Mara In Thierry Mugler & ASOS – 2012 Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon

After a brief flirtation with wearing a colour outside her comfort zone on Friday, Rooney Mara was back to black and white whilst attending the 84th Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon which was held at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in California earlier today.

I’ve been onboard with nearly all her minimalist looks, but I just can’t get excited about her black ASOS jumpsuit, which she wore with a white Thierry Mugler jacket.

The look is very chic in theory – well the jacket is – but her looks are starting to feel a bit samey, plus I don’t like the way the pants are overwhelming her tiny frame.

This isn’t the first time she’s gone high-end, low-end on the red carpet, because she’s worn a Givenchy jacket with an ASOS playsuit once before, but it’s the first time I’ve not been particularly fussed by it.

She switched things up by opting for blunt bangs after sporting a lacquered look for a while.

What do you think about this look – would you take it or leave it?

You can buy Rooney’s Mugler blazer from LuisaViaRoma.
Credit: Getty

Bérénice Bejo In Elie Saab - 2012 Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon

Bérénice Bejo In Elie Saab – 2012 Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon

Viola Davis In Juan Carlos Obando - 2012 Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon

Viola Davis In Juan Carlos Obando – 2012 Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon

21 Responses to Rooney Mara In Thierry Mugler & ASOS – 2012 Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon

1. Esther February 6, 2012 at 23:35 #

I actually like the minimalistic look on Rooney. It suits her unique features and this type of styling actually makes her stand out from the rest of the typical Hollywood actresses. She’s fabulous :-)

2. Martin February 6, 2012 at 23:40 #

This look doesn’t make much sense to me. Perhaps if the pieces were worn independently they would look great (that jacket looks particularly sharp), but when put together it all looks like a bit of a mess and generally unflattering.

The ruffle on the jumpsuit doesn’t sit well against the open jacket and (perhaps because of the angle of the photo and her stance) the jumpsuit makes her appear much wider than she is. Average, very average.

3. Rebecca Z February 6, 2012 at 23:41 #

I agree with you FC. she looks lost in the pants-it is just too blah.

4. Linda February 6, 2012 at 23:45 #

Love the jacket. The jumpsuit looks like it could be a great piece but it looks to baggy on her and way too long. So no, not one of her better looks.

• Marybeth February 7, 2012 at 01:09 #

5. Kennedy February 6, 2012 at 23:54 #

This is no good, Rooney. The jumpsuit looks 3 sizes too big and the blazer looks so out of place. I am not a fan of the ruffle on top either. She’s way too petite to pull this off. But she is consistent, no argument there… her style (with an exception of maybe one or two looks) aligns perfectly with her personality… or lack thereof. I was in the audience at SBIFF this weekend, and boy did she suck the air out of the room. She’s incredibly stoic and boring… I’d rather see Blake Lively on the red carpet… yikes.

6. lee February 7, 2012 at 00:07 #

you should be in this!

• Fashion Critic February 7, 2012 at 00:11 #

I would be terrified :)

7. moe99 February 7, 2012 at 01:03 #

shouldn’t it be Thierry Mugler?

• Amy February 7, 2012 at 09:42 #

No, when Nicola Formichetti became creative director he changed the name to MUGLER.

8. AW February 7, 2012 at 01:31 #

ZZZZZZzzzzzz

Meh

9. noo February 7, 2012 at 07:50 #

i’m surprised at my own opinion because i like this!

10. Katrin February 7, 2012 at 09:10 #

I like it. I always like how she looks. Reminds me of Audrey Hebpurn. I love the jacket on her, it’s perfect for her style. And I don’t get why people say she has no personality. I’ve watched interviews with her and she seems nice and intelligent and with a good sense of humour.

I do agree about the pants tough :)

11. Lara February 7, 2012 at 14:22 #

Has anyone actually seen the movie? I finally did this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think she deserved both her Golden Globe and Academy award noms… total transformation. But I am starting to be confused by her… she didn’t strike me as “Lisbeth Salander” before the movie, but now it’s almost like there is little separation between the two. I actually quite love her styling, even if every once in a while she doesn’t get it quite right. I wonder if Rooney knows who Rooney is anymore.

• Kennedy February 7, 2012 at 22:33 #

I’ve seen it. I think there were other actresses more deserving of the nomination (Charlize Theron and Tilda Swinton) but I’m not too pissed about it. I do think Noomi Rapace was the better Salander. For me, Mara’s physical transformation was more jarring than the performance. Rapace channeled Lisbeth like no one else.

• Lara February 8, 2012 at 18:14 #

Hmmm… I have the Rapace versions at home. Will have to make a note to watch them so I can fairly compare…

12. Can February 7, 2012 at 14:39 #

I suspect that the minute she changes her hair colour and style, and stops channeling her Girl With The Dragon Tattoo character we’ll see less of the minimalist monochrome. Maybe not a whole lot less but less.

I think I’d prefer that jacket with a colour, preferably a dark one.

13. TeaAtTwo February 7, 2012 at 14:45 #

I’ll cry if she wears black to Oscars.

• Fashion Critic February 7, 2012 at 14:52 #

get your tissues ready just in case :)

14. Alina February 7, 2012 at 17:42 #

I like this. :)

15. EmmaWoodhouse February 7, 2012 at 19:38 #

The pantsuit is terrible–overwhelming and same old same old. I do think that the blunt bangs worked here, though.