03.02.12

Vanity Fair March 2012 Hollywood Issue

Vanity Fair’s March 2012 issue, which is the annual Hollywood Issue, features eleven of the most up-and-coming actresses who were shot by Mario Testino.

The main cover features Rooney Mara, Jennifer Lawrence, Mia Wasikowska and Jessica Chastain.

After the fold we have Elizabeth Olsen, Adepero Oduye, Shailene Woodley, Paula Patton, Felicity Jones, Lily Collins and Brit Marling.

There are always great debates that go on with regards to this cover every year.

I would’ve swapped Mia with Elizabeth and had her on the main cover, and I’m not sure Paula should be considered up-and-coming as she’s been around for a while. Also Shailene is totally unrecognisable.

Each actress wore a pastel-coloured satin dress for the 20s boudoir-themed shoot with screen-siren hairstyles and bold lip colours.

They all look great, but Jennifer steals the cover for me as she’s in full-on bombshell mode. Very Jessica Rabbit.

Here are some extracts from their interviews:

Jessica on her superstar crush:The English Patient. Of course. Those love scenes!”

Jennifer on who else she’s like to work with: “I’d love to work with the Cohen brothers. Tommy Lee Jones. Jack Nicholson. And I’d love to work with Renee Zellweger. I’m a huge Renee Zellweger fan.”

Rooney on her crush growing up: “Thom Yorke.”

Jennifer on her childhood crush: “When I was little, like 90s, era, I had such a big crush on Justin Timberlake from *NSYNC that I almost thew up.”

click on picture to enlarge

Rooney Mara in Ralph Lauren, Jennifer Lawrence in custom Donna Karan, Mia Wasikowska in Ralph Lauren, Jessica Chastain in Giorgio Armani, Elizabeth Olsen in Salvatore Ferragamo, Adepero Oduye in Carolina Herrera, Shailene Woodley in Ralph Lauren, Paula Patton in L’Wren Scott, Felicity Jones in Burberry, Lily Collins in Calvin Klein and Brit Marling in Tommy Hilfiger.

Eva Longoria's J Brand Houlihan Skinny Cargo Pants

Eva Longoria’s J Brand Houlihan Skinny Cargo Pants

Cate Blanchett In Alexander McQueen - 2012 AACTA Awards

Cate Blanchett In Alexander McQueen – 2012 AACTA Awards

15 Responses to Vanity Fair March 2012 Hollywood Issue

1. Laura February 3, 2012 at 21:22 #

I refuse to believe that Ashley’s head is THAT much smaller that everyone else’s. Poor photoshopping right there.

• Linda February 4, 2012 at 15:22 #

LOL

2. marie February 3, 2012 at 22:21 #

OMG FC..that interview made me fall in love with Jessica.. although her beauty doesnt really translate to still pictures..but she’s so pretty in motion..and oh, there’s something really off with Rooney..

• christine March 15, 2012 at 10:38 #

i agree, Jessica Chastain is stunning in movies and interviews but somehow seems bland in many photographs and I am so done with Rooney!

3. june February 4, 2012 at 02:24 #

this is such a white cover. seriously, there are only two up and coming women of colour in all of hollywood? give me a break.

• christine March 15, 2012 at 10:40 #

i thought this was a fashion blog

4. Aline February 4, 2012 at 04:27 #

I’m sorry, I cannot properly comment over the shock of seeing Rooney Mara in a color different than black/white.

5. Megs22 February 4, 2012 at 05:15 #

Jennifer really does steal the cover. She looks incredible!

6. Raquel February 4, 2012 at 05:39 #

I would be a bit more impressed if they had toned down the Photoshop.

• Linda February 4, 2012 at 15:23 #

I’ll say. The photoshop we see on covers these days has become a parody of itself.

7. pipsqueak February 4, 2012 at 06:05 #

The clothes are a blah, but typical of Vanity Fair. Paula Patton and Lily Collins should be off the cover. They can’t act. Patton, just like Tom Cruise, tends to overact. I’d replace them with Melanie Laurent (great in The Beginners this year, yet not nearly as famous as Marion Catillard) and Greta Gerwig (great in Greenberg last year and then starred in a few successful and stupid mainstream movies). 2011 was all in all a barren year for new talent.

8. Alina February 4, 2012 at 08:02 #

Jessica Chastain is my favourite.

I agree with you about Paula Patton.

9. Elizabeth February 4, 2012 at 18:02 #

This is a poorly executed concept for a magazine cover. Most of the stars here look terrible/over photoshopped, and their poses look forced and uncomfortable. If I saw this on a magazine stand, I would probably pass it by.

10. EmmaWoodhouse February 4, 2012 at 20:13 #

Jennifer, Jessica, and Shailene are the most stunning for me. Love the theme! They all look gorgeous! But WOW does Lily Collins look like Elizabeth Taylor or what?

11. Cat February 5, 2012 at 02:32 #

i think Felicity and mia steel the show, they have natural class and sex appeal every one else is posing!