30.01.12

Viola Davis In Marchesa – 2012 SAG Awards

Viola Davis attended the 2012 SAG Awards, where she is nominated in the ‘Best Actress’ category.

She wore a custom Marchesa gown for the occasion.

The white Grecian silk-chiffon gown was embroidered with an antique gold detail along the sweetheart neckline.

This is not my favourite look from the actress. In fact, it is my least favourite, especially with the messy, ‘windswept’ hair.

Let’s hope she bounces back to prime form in time for the Oscars.

Did you like this look, or do you think Viola was just trying too hard?

Credit: Getty

Must-Have Monday

Must-Have Monday

Angelina Jolie In Jenny Packham - 2012 SAG Awards

Angelina Jolie In Jenny Packham – 2012 SAG Awards

55 Responses to Viola Davis In Marchesa – 2012 SAG Awards

1. gurlygurl January 30, 2012 at 04:39 #

This is not my favourite look for Viola either. I actually don’t mind the hair for a change it really opens up her face and reminds me a bit of Oprah ;) The dress for me just doesn’t work. The white is uninspring, Viola looks incredible in color. The neckline for me is just too in your face. It just feels wrong. On her previous outings on the red carpet Viola was so effortless, like a veteran who knows what works for her. This just doesn’t work.

• Linda January 30, 2012 at 04:44 #

gurlygurl, you said it all. I agree with every word and I’ll add that I can’t believe this is custom because the fit around the bust just isn’t cutting it. I kept waiting for her breast to pop out while she was on stage. I’m really tired of Marchesa too.

• Linda January 30, 2012 at 04:47 #

In fact, I didn’t recognize her at first because this looks so matronly compared to her last few colourful, modern dresses and hairstyles. She’s been hitting it out of the ballpark (I just looked back at recent posts on her) but this is unfortunately very disappointing.

• gurlygurl January 30, 2012 at 05:26 #

I agree.. I can’t believe this is custom either. It really lacks support for the bust. I love Viola so it was really hard to have to say this is not working for me but I know she could have done so much better.

• Martin January 30, 2012 at 04:45 #

Totally agree. Spot on in every respect.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) January 30, 2012 at 13:14 #

Didnt move me in the least. I was apprehensive to read the comments since I thought I would be the only one who was disappointed, head to toe.

2. Aline January 30, 2012 at 04:42 #

I actually love it. It was my favorite of the night. She looks like an African Goddess.

• mm January 30, 2012 at 11:49 #

I agree, I loved it especially the hair. Her hair stylist has given her very different looks everytime she is on the red carpet.

3. JuliaC January 30, 2012 at 04:45 #

I actually think both of your critiques were pretty harsh. This gown isn’t necessarily the most “wowing” look out there, but she looks quite beautiful and classic. I think the asymmetrical detail adds a bit of unexpectedness to the gown. Her hair isn’t even messy in my opinion- at least not nearly like Blake Lively or anything.

4. Merrie January 30, 2012 at 04:46 #

I think she looks radiant, like a goddess. The fit is beautiful, but still age appropriate. She looks the best she’s ever looked.

• Shauni212 January 30, 2012 at 20:44 #

I completely agree!

5. T from Sydney January 30, 2012 at 04:48 #

i dont like the hair and make up but that dress is WOW. amazing on her!!!

• Alina January 30, 2012 at 13:28 #

Agree.

6. Prudence January 30, 2012 at 04:53 #

I completely disagree! she looks amazing and this is such a change for her i love it. and whats with the hair comment? her hairs so chic. This has been an amazing run for viola and I know shell killllll it at the Oscars.

• Agathe January 30, 2012 at 16:32 #

Oh I love her hair too, and her lip colour is perfect. The dress is great for her skin tone, in my opinion, and quite flattering. It doesn’t age her at all, I think…

7. molly January 30, 2012 at 04:54 #

I actually really like this. I think she looks beautiful and even though we have seen dresses like this before, I like this one best. The beading is incredible.

8. argentina January 30, 2012 at 05:02 #

Dont know why I like the look, is refreshing on her but the neckline is wired.

9. Bea January 30, 2012 at 05:13 #

This was one of my favorites. She was radiant! The dress really complemented her GORGEOUS skin! I thought she looked beautiful.

• Bunnie Watson January 30, 2012 at 20:29 #

She was radiant and classy. Her skin was absolutely burnished perfection, which was complimented by the golden needlework. I’ll take a look like this any day over a Tilda freak show or all the drooling over Angelina, Lea, JLo, Sofia, SJP, blah, blah, blah.

10. rebecca o January 30, 2012 at 05:15 #

I actually really like this. It’s different to what she normally wears and it’s refreshing to see a nice Marchesa dress for once, instead of the ice skating messes they usually make.

11. Amanda January 30, 2012 at 05:19 #

SHE LOOK AMAZING!!!!! Stunning!

12. LoveMeDo January 30, 2012 at 05:56 #

Viola Davis looked gorgeous tonight. I loved her entire look. One word. Radiant.

13. Karen January 30, 2012 at 05:58 #

This looks like she is trying too hard. Put the boobs away, girl! She has a great body, she could do something different but still retain that bit of edginess she has shown thus far.

14. mattison January 30, 2012 at 06:53 #

The ill-fitting neckline kills what could have been an otherwise lovely look, in my opinion.

• Fiona January 30, 2012 at 10:02 #

I agree – I think it just doesn’t fit her correctly. The dress looks like it was made for someone a little younger, and I think she was seduced by the flowy princessy style and went for it. I don’t hate it but it is not my favourite look, normally she looks so elegant and sophisticated. So glad she won though…

15. anne January 30, 2012 at 07:11 #

I like too, at least it’s a Marchesa gown that works cause lately, like everyone else i haven’t been impressed with the designs. I agree the top of the dress doesn’t look great but hey kudos to her for wanting to feel sexy; after all she has the body for it.

16. Anne gaelle January 30, 2012 at 08:11 #

She’s beautiful, radiant and happy.
    I Love hair and the dress.

17. Chinyere January 30, 2012 at 08:35 #

I loved everything about this look minus the hair. Marchesa was among one of my favorite designers, but as of late their collections have felt alot more costumey so this dress is a refreshing change to many other Marchesa gowns that we have seen on the red carpet as of late. Agreeing with “Aline” that she looks like an African goddess! :)

18. lou January 30, 2012 at 08:37 #

i think she looks fantastic. the makeup around her eyes and cheeks is the only offputting thing for me, they don’t match her skin. otherwise i really love her dress, earrings, and hair

• dee January 30, 2012 at 13:54 #

I agree with you. I think the makeup is slightly off but other than that I think she looks great.

19. d January 30, 2012 at 08:42 #

I think you’re way off this time. She looks simply gorgeous.

20. nathalie January 30, 2012 at 09:49 #

You are sooo wrong! She looks amazing!!! best look i’ve seen on her!

21. Kudzi January 30, 2012 at 11:34 #

She looks stunning, was actually shocked at how beautiful she looks

22. Rory January 30, 2012 at 11:58 #

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the criticism of this look is ALL WRONG. She looks beautiful, her skin looks amazing, body looks great, make up and hair are on point. Beautiful.

23. SandTony January 30, 2012 at 12:08 #

This dress is stunning! I would die to wear this one! My favourite by far! The only thing I don’t like is the make up, it feels too heavy for the dress

24. gossip_bangkok January 30, 2012 at 12:12 #

I actually like the dress, as I found it to give off the classic vibe. I think the gold details give the dress a much more interest look. However, I agree with you on the hair. I think overall, she was quite stunning.

25. Jen January 30, 2012 at 12:13 #

The only thing I don’t like is the neckline — too much cleavage. It actually makes her bust look unflattering! But I do love the hair, and the dress was nice in theory.

26. Regina January 30, 2012 at 12:14 #

I seem to love her no matter what! The hair isn’t great, I agree, but I do like the dress.

27. bianca January 30, 2012 at 12:31 #

Oh my GOD, she’s perfect!Look at that skin against the white dress..this is to die for… and she wears it with so much grace, I just love it.Her features remind me of Oprah, another beautiful woman.

28. Jones19 January 30, 2012 at 13:41 #

There’s something off about this look, the fit around the bust is not so good.

29. Luis January 30, 2012 at 13:49 #

Blark. No boob support…

30. AW January 30, 2012 at 13:56 #

I love it, she looks gorgeous.

31. CJ January 30, 2012 at 16:29 #

Totally disagree with caption comments. I think this is the best she’s looked on the red carpet in the last two years. LOVE the hair, love the make-up, love the dress and the cleveage. She looks refreshed and she’s glowing. Simply Stunning!!!

32. Geech January 30, 2012 at 16:38 #

She looks SUBLIME!!!! This is the best she has ever looked! Her hair is styled in beautiful curls. Wow & the fit is perfect from every angle. Any lower or higher would have totally ruined pictures….

33. Penè January 30, 2012 at 18:19 #

Viola sweetheart thats a good choice of dress but what happened neck upwards. Wish i was your stylist

34. Allywan January 30, 2012 at 21:54 #

Viola was flaw free. The end.

35. Michael January 30, 2012 at 22:00 #

She’s absolutely stunning. Radiant. While she wears color very well, I think going for white once and a while is a great change, she looks extremely elegant. She’s also 46 and kicking every 20 something’s ass on the red carpet.

36. Jim January 31, 2012 at 00:14 #

Wow, her tits are amazing, she looks the best she has in awhile, no SAG there!

37. Ann January 31, 2012 at 01:08 #

She looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL & RADIANT. To say otherwise I would just be in denial and full of envy. That is how you work the red carpet… be stunning from head to toe. Flawless!

• Fashion Critic January 31, 2012 at 08:51 #

To say we are envious is juvenile.

We don’t like it and we have said why

38. Jen January 31, 2012 at 04:46 #

I think she looks fantastic. the hair and makeup are just okay, but the dress is great on her.

39. carmen sandiego February 2, 2012 at 02:53 #

Man, I thought she looked great. It’s actually daring in a weird way. She has managed to be mature and sexy at the same time.

40. Virginia February 2, 2012 at 11:04 #

It’s true that on this picture not everything is perfect but when you saw her on television she was absolutely radiant! Very beautiful!

41. Katie February 2, 2012 at 11:58 #

The dress doesnt fit her around the bust, its ok its not really working for me either!

42. Parvati February 2, 2012 at 19:11 #

I actually like this look. I like what she did with her hair and the gown is beautiful.