30.01.12

Michelle Williams In Valentino – 2012 SAG Awards

After seeing so many neutral shades on the red carpet at the 2012 SAG Awards, Michelle Williams added a bright pop of colour.

She looked heavenly wearing a red asymmetrical Valentino gown with a gathered waist and lace details.

Her dress was teamed with matching Roger Vivier ‘Cage’ sandals, a Lanvin ‘Red Passion’ minaudiere with a gold trim and Fred Leighton jewels.

This dress suits Michelle’s demure style, but I can’t help wishing she’d taken a bit of a racy risk and opted for a sans lace version of this dress.

Do you agree?

Credit: Getty

Must-Have Monday

Must-Have Monday

Kaley Cuoco In Romona Keveza - 2012 SAG Awards

Kaley Cuoco In Romona Keveza – 2012 SAG Awards

35 Responses to Michelle Williams In Valentino – 2012 SAG Awards

1. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) January 30, 2012 at 01:10 #

For me FC, it’s just perfect. This is my favorite Michelle look ever.

• Jones19 January 30, 2012 at 01:51 #

Not better than her mustard Oscar gown from 2006???

• Emi January 30, 2012 at 09:15 #

That is the only memorable look from her. She looked gorgeous, form head to toe.

2. Jones19 January 30, 2012 at 01:10 #

She has such a gorgeous body so sometimes I grow tired of her demure style but she does look gorgeous. The new hair color looks especially good here.

3. Laura January 30, 2012 at 01:11 #

I really like this dress. But I’m not so sure about the length, and I don’t like the matchy-matchy shoes.

4. Foteini P. January 30, 2012 at 01:12 #

She looks beautiful! I love the length of the dress and what the gathered waist does for her feagure! The lace, I think gives that something special to her dress!!! I would have liked to see studded pearls or diamonds on her ears though!!

5. Martin January 30, 2012 at 01:16 #

This look is a largely unremarkable one for me. I like that Michelle opted for colour, but there is a flatness about this dress that stikes me as uninspiring. And that hemline is competing with the weight of the shoes and the ankle strap. Pretty and adequate, but not spectacular.

• Linda January 30, 2012 at 04:35 #

Martin, I agree with you completely in this case. Sometimes you put my thoughts into words. I always enjoy reading your comments because they are so well thought out and well written.

• Martin January 30, 2012 at 12:09 #

Thank you Linda. You are too, too sweet. I must admit that I take great pleasure in reading your comments as well. Even though I sometimes (although not too often) disagree with them, they are always expressed so cogently and articulated with clarity and reason. And if I’m being completely honest, on more than one occasion I’ve actually reassessed my initial opinion of a look after reading your comments about it. The ultimate influencer!

• Linda February 24, 2012 at 20:10 #

That *is* the ultimate influence! Thanks for the comment, you made my day.

6. Hannah January 30, 2012 at 01:18 #

I would have loved this without the lace, but it is valentino, so, to me at least, something matronly had to be chucked in there. I also hate the shoes, they are just plain ugly. Although I thick that the lighting at this event (you know what I mean) is really not flattering to any of these looks, they all look much less glamorous, I think a sexier attitude and smokier eye would have worked wonders. The only thing for me is that the shape gives me déjà vu to Jennifer Lawrence at the director’s guild awards last year in prabal gurung.

7. Alex January 30, 2012 at 01:18 #

This is perfect for Michelle. Such a massive improvement on Jason Wu for the Globes. Love, love, love!

8. Shaina January 30, 2012 at 01:18 #

I agree, she would look even more sensational without the lace but even with it she looks amazing.

9. EmmaWoodhouse January 30, 2012 at 01:20 #

I did like her Globes look, but it was a tiny bit matronly. This is awesome! It feels young, fresh, but characteristically demure–I’m almost feeling a Great Gatsby vibe from it (though this look is more ’30s than ’20s).
    Great job Michelle!

10. AW January 30, 2012 at 01:20 #

I don’t mind the lace, i do dislike the hem and shoes. Also the solid material (jersey) looks a little “day at the mall”/Lord & Taylor $159.

• Lara January 30, 2012 at 12:26 #

In my view, without the lace Michelle’s dress would have seemed rather ordinary. The lace adds a red-carpet-worthiness to it. I think she looked absolutely beautiful and I would not change a thing.

11. Nat39 January 30, 2012 at 01:29 #

Such a delight to see a sultrier Michelle instead of childish or matronly. Very nice, not quite loving the sandals, they seem a bit bulky. The lace makes this gown a bit more interesting, I like it.

12. ash January 30, 2012 at 01:51 #

she looks absolutely amazing tonight!It’s good for her to try some brighter colors!Hope she wins 2nite:)

13. mm January 30, 2012 at 01:51 #

I agree it would be nice for her to channel a lil Ms. Monroe. She does look lovely.

14. Karen January 30, 2012 at 02:19 #

It’s hard for me to believe, at times, that this is the same actress who wore one of the most sensational Oscar dresses in Oscar history. What happened to that style? That subtle sexiness? Maybe it’s the hair. I liked Michelle’s hair when she was at Cannes last year. But even with the current hair, she can do so much with that magnificent body and perfect skin of hers. She wore an outstanding Chanel number to the DGA Awards.

Anyone else think that she had some work done to her face? Michelle is the last person I would suspect of getting any work done, but something is going on with her eyelids. Her lips have always been full but they seem extra pursed in some pics.

• Linda January 30, 2012 at 04:38 #

Yes, that has occurred to me. Her face does look different, her eyes are more open, I’m not sure about her lips.

• Karen January 30, 2012 at 06:09 #

She’s only 31 and seems very comfortable with herself, so I hope she didn’t do anything :( Maybe it’s a bad makeup job. A consistently bad makeup job…? Lol.

15. Aline January 30, 2012 at 03:59 #

I really do try to like her looks, I really do, because I love her acting and she seems to be such a nice person. But she just can’t seem to work any dress. Just none of them. I don’t know if it’s the hair or the lack of sex appeal, but everything that she wears falls flat to me.

16. rebecca o January 30, 2012 at 04:11 #

Both the shoes and the dress look cheap. Like others have said, everything she wears just falls flat to me.

17. Bea January 30, 2012 at 05:26 #

I’m not crazy about this dress. I don’t like the asym hemline (especially with the ankle straps), and I’m SO tired of the one shoulder thing. The color is pretty, but to me it’s not flattering on her for some reason. I love red on redheads, so I don’t know what it is. Love the hair color, and her makeup is gorgeous!

18. Andreea January 30, 2012 at 08:21 #

Really nice dress,but i’m not that fond of the shoes she picked.She looks great,but i really hate her hair.

19. bee7 January 30, 2012 at 09:51 #

i think she needs to grow her hair out. she has a round face which doesn’t go well with pixie cut

20. Jess2 January 30, 2012 at 10:22 #

Please don’t hate me and it pains me to say this but I am not loving the shoes. Ankles up is complete perfection but I don’t like the shoes, peep toes would have been better I think. amazing colour for her though

21. SandTony January 30, 2012 at 12:17 #

I really dislike this dress, it looks like a 5 year-old dress

22. Terry January 30, 2012 at 13:04 #

Her sandals were by Roger Vivier (the style is called “Cage”).

• Fashion Critic January 30, 2012 at 13:23 #

23. J January 30, 2012 at 13:25 #

I’m normally not much a fan of MW’s red carpet style, but I really like this one.

24. Alina January 30, 2012 at 13:53 #

Aging.

25. robbie January 30, 2012 at 15:28 #

i love michelle, she seems absolutely charming in interview and is talented and beautiful. this dress though seems a little “summer wedding” for me, all thats missing is a big hat. although if it was floor length i dont think it would be so bad.

26. Carolina Roq January 30, 2012 at 20:38 #

They chose the least sexy woman to play Marilyn Monroe…