Shailene Woodley In Valentino – 2012 Directors Guild Of America Awards

Shailene Woodley also attended the 2012 Directors Guild of America Awards, which took place on Saturday evening in Hollywood, California.

The young actress wore a Valentino Spring 2012 gown.

As her red crochet gown was totally see-through she also wore a strapless two-tone mini dress underneath.

Whilst Diane Kruger sported a similar look last week, it matched.

On this occasion I wish the strapless dress had been less fussy and a bit longer. A simple nude long slip dress is another option.

That being said her youthful take is more interesting and I think she manages to pull it off.

Barely-there makeup and a braided ponytail side-swept ponytail completed her look.

Yay or nay on the strapless two-tone dress as an underlay?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Cameron Diaz' Valentino Silk And Cotton Dress

Cameron Diaz’ Valentino Silk And Cotton Dress

Ashley Benson's Jeffrey Campbell Lita Shoe

Ashley Benson’s Jeffrey Campbell Lita Shoe

22 Responses to Shailene Woodley In Valentino – 2012 Directors Guild Of America Awards

1. Nat39 January 29, 2012 at 19:58 #

My initial reaction was nay but then with a nude slip, this long lace dress with the modest neckline could`ve easily ended up looking too mature/ matronly on her. So, it`s a YES from me – both the two-toned mini-dress and the playful braid are perfect youthful touches that save this look from being aging.

2. dani January 29, 2012 at 20:09 #

she looks great! much improved from the velvet valentino at the producers guild awards last weekend

3. Sinead January 29, 2012 at 20:11 #

Agreed. I love the youthful look and red lace is still a big trend. But WHAT THE HELL are the side flaps about on either side of the dress. It’s throwing me off more than the black

4. Tina January 29, 2012 at 20:12 #

I wish her dress had been shorter and at the length of the black strapless underneath. That wold make it more youthful and the red crochet won’t be overwhelming her.

5. Emi January 29, 2012 at 20:33 #

Nay, I don’t like it, what a pity…

6. Lola January 29, 2012 at 20:36 #

I cannot for the life of me understand what’s ageing about the tunwayversion?! She looks way more girlie than Shailene. I think the twotone minidress under this beautiful and elegant dress is ruining it. The hippie braid is not working for me either – i think this look shows a total lack of style…

• Fashion Critic January 29, 2012 at 20:43 #

Who said it was ageing?

• Lola January 29, 2012 at 20:47 #

It was implied by one of the comments that a nude slip, as i guess is worn by the runwaymodel would age the look of the dress…i guess i disagree with that?!

• Nat39 January 29, 2012 at 21:13 #

I did :) the runway version itself is not aging but could`ve been on Shailene who looks a lot more playful and youthful than the model, in my opinion.

7. Jess January 29, 2012 at 20:41 #

I actually love it- the strapless dress underneath gives the overlay a really interesting shape and creates angles and depth. She really pulls it off.

8. Camilla January 29, 2012 at 20:51 #

Are those big cream, saggy pockets? Why haven’t you addressed this, it seems like the glaring issue!

9. christine January 29, 2012 at 21:00 #

i say yay! i actually really love this look and hair and make-up looks great!

10. mary beth January 29, 2012 at 21:05 #

I TRULY love this look! she is so sweet and beautiful I don’t even mind the two-toned slip. A+ for me

11. molly January 29, 2012 at 22:23 #

I was really excited to see this dress on the red carpet, and wow, what a let down. This is truly awful. I dont really mind the black slip, but I hate that its a short slip. It looks like she is ready to go to the club after the awards! All she has to do is pull off the lace. And dont get me started on that awful braid. This is just so dissapointing.

12. EmmaWoodhouse January 29, 2012 at 23:13 #

Ugh! The dress was lovely on the runway but Shailene’s lining is ridiculous! Pick a dress and stick to it!

13. JessCar January 29, 2012 at 23:31 #

Actually prefer her styling to the runway, by a long mile. BUT not the two tone part of the dress, should have just been black…. first thought was pockets???

14. zelda January 29, 2012 at 23:55 #

It’s RAD! She is the only girl on the red carpet who doesn’t look styled – she looks her age, effortless and stylish. If only there were more red carpet girls could pull this off, Celebrity Fashion would have so much more clout. GO SHAI!

15. june January 30, 2012 at 00:23 #

the flappy pockets on the two toned mini is very strange to see through the dress. the mini under the dress, yes, the mini with flappy pockets, no.

16. Jess January 30, 2012 at 00:36 #

I really like it, the two-tone underlay creates an interesting visual effect

17. katchimo January 30, 2012 at 05:19 #

I’m probably one of the few that didn’t like Diana Kruger’s dress last week because I wasn’t a fan of the underlay. I really did enjoy the uniqueness of the angled skirt but I still thought it was extremely unflattering.

On the other hand, I LOVE Shailene’s take on her red Valentino. A lot of people have commented that the underlay should either be nude or black, not both but I can imagine that having an entirely black or nude minidress would cheapen her outfit. I love the touch of black with the nude panels though, it makes her look curvier and elegant without screaming that she wants to be older than she really is. And the hair is perfect, she’s young so she should dress down and more fun. This is so appropriate. Love it.

18. Rahel January 30, 2012 at 16:05 #

She looks cute in it. Finally someone young going for cute.

19. Ritika January 30, 2012 at 19:26 #

I would never have expected this dress to be worn this way. i think it’s a brilliant touch!