Cate Blanchett attended the Maison Louis Vuitton Roma Etoile opening party on Friday evening in Rome, Italy.

We have seen Cate wearing a look from the Louis Vuitton Spring 2012 collection, so considering that one look from said collection pretty much represent them all; I’m not surprised she picked a look from the Pre-Fall 2012 collection.

Her grey knit sleeveless dress embellished with bronze and gold sequins has a ivory silk tiered and ruffled skirt.

Whilst her hair and makeup are flawless, I’m not so enamoured by her Louis Vuitton champagne coloured, bow front peep-toes. The toe-cap pumps the model is wearing are much more complementary.

A gold metallic Sofia Coppola for Louis Vuitton Pochette completed her look.

Love it or loathe it?

I’m on the fence.

The shoes really pull down the look. I’m also missing the furry, embellished collar but Cate made the right choice by not wearing it on the red carpet.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Amber Heard In Roland Mouret - 2012 Directors Guild Of America Awards

Amber Heard In Roland Mouret – 2012 Directors Guild Of America Awards

21 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Louis Vuitton – Maison Louis Vuitton Roma Etoile Opening Party

1. Henrique January 29, 2012 at 12:51 #

I love it. I love it a lot.

2. Alina January 29, 2012 at 13:02 #

I don’t like it and mostly because of the shoes.

3. robbie January 29, 2012 at 13:04 #

i wish she wore the collar because the neckline just looks so plain without it, the shoes look cheap.

4. Sashaqueenie January 29, 2012 at 13:10 #

Oh dear, this is another misstep for my beloved Cate. What’s going on with those peplum? Frumpy and dowdy.

• NooG January 29, 2012 at 17:38 #

I’m awfully scared – how can Cate misstep? My world is coming to an end…

5. Martin January 29, 2012 at 13:15 #

This is an incredibly audacious piece and, as much as I am in awe of Cate the Great, I’m not quite sure she makes the dress work. She does a better job with it than the model, but the shape is on the whole unflattering and the mix of contrasting textures and tones and elements doesn’t make much sense to me. Furthermore, the shoes are woefully heavy for a dress which is already so complicated. Don’t love it, but neither do I loathe it. I guess that I’m kind of in a state of confusion as to where Cate (and Marc Jacobs for that matter) were going with this dress.

6. Mick January 29, 2012 at 13:41 #

Horrible, both on her and on the model. Even Cate can do missteps sometimes!

7. Emi January 29, 2012 at 13:44 #

The shoes ruin the outfit, for me. It deserved something edgy, for me, and the color is totally wrong. What a pity.

8. sonia January 29, 2012 at 14:32 #

no fence for me! I hate it! I can’t believe someone can put on that dress and think she looks beautiful!

9. Nat39 January 29, 2012 at 17:41 #

Loathe. This look simply doesn´t suit mature womanly Cate. Paired with those foolish shoes, this looks plain silly on her.

10. Hannah January 29, 2012 at 17:43 #

The thing about Cate is that she always, or almost always, look incredible. Yes, this isn’t a great look nor was the other LV one, but given that she has had to wear LV, I think she did well. It’s a terrible dress but I think it looks amazing on her. The shoes are unfortunate, but I really imagine that in real life without the photographer’s flash, which I imagine does nothing for the fabric or colour, they would have made sense. What I cannot find reason for is her hair, which is terrible and matronly here, as it was with the Givenchy look. Her makeup is still flawless.

11. red January 29, 2012 at 21:14 #

What is interesting is that Giorgio Armani’s patronage of the Sydney Theatre Company (of which Blanchett is the artistic director) ended at the end of 2011, and since the end of last year Cate has now attended the openings of 3 LV Maisons. So its clear that she has now begun a relationship with LV, looking at the results its clear that Cate + Armani = PERFECTION. I don’t think LV and Blanchett in general make a good match, i’m just hoping her contract with them expires ASAP so she return to wowing us in Prive!

• Fashion Critic January 29, 2012 at 21:49 #

how interesting. didn’t realise that was the case.

I agree she should return to the house of Armani…pronto

• Martin January 29, 2012 at 23:22 #

The current (and final) term of Cate and her husband as co-artistic directors at the Sydney Theatre Company will come to an end in late 2013, so I assume that if Louis Vuitton does step in as a patron of the company that Cate will pretty much be wearing the label for the next two years.

The company itself has not revealed whether they will assume a patronage role, but Vuitton’s CEO has commented that they are looking for opportunities to contribute to the cultural life of Sydney. Sounds like a deal to me. Sadly, I think the era of Cate and Armani has well and truly come to an end. It was lovely while it lasted.

• Fashion Critic January 29, 2012 at 23:52 #

breaks my heart quite frankly.

• CreoleLady January 29, 2012 at 23:39 #

Thank you, red, for this info — it explains a lot. Do not like what I am seeing of the LV collection if this is representative. This dress is an embellished A-line sack. I will be in mourning if Cate continues to be hamstrung fashionwise for the foreseeable future by this new relationship with LV.

12. TeaAtTwo January 29, 2012 at 21:56 #

I think the ruffled skirt part of the dress is hideous.

13. EmmaWoodhouse January 29, 2012 at 23:15 #

Even though I don’t like the dress, she still manages to look so regal in it. The shoes aren’t great, but her hair and makeup are flawless! Love her!

14. Bethany Charming January 30, 2012 at 00:04 #

Cate Blanchett looks good in just about everything. I think her shoes are really nice but don’t really go with the dress. I like the styling done by Louis Vuitton better also.

15. Carolina January 30, 2012 at 05:05 #

well – it’s certainly interesting! I would’ve had her pull her hair back, sleekly, and wear the same shoes as the runway look.

16. Carmen January 30, 2012 at 05:48 #

Completely dislike the shoes! I find Cate looks so lanky and awkward, which is very unlike her.