26.01.12

Elie Saab Spring 2012 Couture

Dear Mr. Saab, I am running out of superlatives to express how much I admire your work.

Yesterday the red carpet maestro sprinkled his no doubt bejewelled wand to create yet another amazing Couture collection for Spring 2012.

The front row was double booked as everyone wanted to see which looks celebrities stylists will be fighting over for their clients this awards season.

Apart from the embellished gowns and mini dresses which came in many beautiful forms, I loved the selection of floral pieces.

Mr Saab doesn’t often do prints, so this was particularly exciting for me.

I noticed some mini trends during this collection, such as capes draped over the models’ shoulders creating a train on the gowns, and voluminous skirts which gave the looks a strong silhouette like the white gown above.

On a colour palette of pink, mint green, sky blue, lemon, ice white and coral, nearly every look was embroidered with tulle flowers or delicate lace petals.

The contemporary majestic bride glowing with hints of pink closed the show.

Usually you have to put a gun to my head to pick a favourite, but these two gowns did it for me.

The first floral print gown would look amazing on the Cannes Film Festival red carpet. I can picture Fan Bingbing and even the petite Sarah Jessica Parker in this gown.

I’m praying to see the second gown on the red carpet. This my pick for Hilary Swank.

Front Row: Sonam Kapoor, Berenice Bejo and Olga Kurylenko

Who I See Wearing This Collection: Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis, Angelina Jolie, Emmy Rossum, Mila Kunis, Kate Beckinsale, Kate Winslet, Elizabeth Olsen, Sonam Kapoor, Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Lane, Shailene Woodley, Jane Fonda, Felicity Jones, Penelope Cruz, Emma Stone, Taylor Swift, Anne Hathaway, Tilda Swinton, Kery Washington, Katy Perry, Keira Knightley, Hilary Swank, Catherine Zeta Jones and Cate Blanchett

Constance Jablonski In Alberta Ferretti - ‘Birdman’ Venice Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

Constance Jablonski In Alberta Ferretti – ‘Birdman’ Venice Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

KARL by Karl Lagerfeld Exclusively at Net-A-Porter

KARL by Karl Lagerfeld Exclusively at Net-A-Porter

34 Responses to Elie Saab Spring 2012 Couture

1. niknok January 26, 2012 at 12:02 #

Those dresses look divine! xx

2. fashion~lover January 26, 2012 at 12:19 #

Elie Saab Couture is the only Couture that gives me a jaw dropping moment when I see its dresses, because I always adore his collections. And those dresses are not exceptions. Gorgeous!

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2012 at 17:11 #

I agree.

Everyone is a winner

3. Alina January 26, 2012 at 12:29 #

I love every single piece from this collection. LONG LIVE THE KING!

4. Miss W January 26, 2012 at 12:34 #

These dresses make my heart swoon!

5. Diana January 26, 2012 at 12:44 #

The coral shades look especially stunning. I want to see Catherine Middleton, Anne Hathaway, Dita Von Teese and Sonam Kapoor wearing these gorgeous dresses. I feel these women have a very feminine build, and they will be able to carry off Elie’s creations just beautifully. What do you feel FC?

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2012 at 13:26 #

I think all the people you listed would look amazing in his dresses. Catherine would be amazing, but I don’t think she would ever be so bold

6. Hisadora January 26, 2012 at 12:46 #

Seriously, I was like speechless when I saw all the runway photos. This man is fantastic!!!! I just can’t pick a favorite…..

7. Yeliz January 26, 2012 at 13:03 #

I was counting days for this collection finally to be shown and I was sure the king wouldn’t disappoint me, because he never does.
    FC I can not describe my admiration for his work too. He is designing dresses and gowns like they are from heaven. I would be so satisfied if I could only touch a dress made by him.

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2012 at 17:12 #

there are just no words :)

8. Jess2 January 26, 2012 at 13:33 #

Sooo beautiful, Elie Saab is unbelievably amazing. I am in love with your two choices FC, the printed gown is out of this world.

9. EmmaWoodhouse January 26, 2012 at 13:47 #

I feel like I’ve died and gone to heaven! This is an indescribably beautiful collection…one of his best yet! (They just get better and better!)
    I think Taylor Swift would wear this too!

10. Nat January 26, 2012 at 14:23 #

I’m running out of words, too.
    Drop dead gorgeous collection, as always.
    I’m particularly in love with the mint green gowns…what an anusual and beautiful colour! It would look great expecially on redhairs.
    And I love the capes: they make me think of that Grace Kelly-ish classic elegance that never goes out of fashion.
    I hope we’re going to see a lot of these on the red carpet!

11. anne January 26, 2012 at 14:28 #

An impressive collection! I usually add one or two looks to my lookbook on style.com from a collection but this time i think i ended up adding every piece. The craftmanship is spectacular. If i were a celebrity and/or could afford these designs i wouldn’t wear anything else. Plus you know everyone is going to like it as his designs are universally beautiful.

12. Colleen January 26, 2012 at 15:39 #

Woah. One gown is more gorgeous than the next. I couldn’t pick a favorite even if I tried (however, look #31 on style.com is leading the pack for me!). So feminine, so stunning.

13. Eva January 26, 2012 at 17:11 #

Ok, I love Elie Saab as much as the next person, would probably sell my soul for one of his gown but……..I wanna see something different. It’s getting too predicable and this collection seems (to me) to be too similar to his last one. I know what to expect now, come on Elie I wanna be surprised.

Saying that, I do love this collection and will probably sell my car for look 12 :p

• Fashion Critic January 26, 2012 at 17:16 #

I love your rant which ends with selling your car to pay for look 12 lol :D

• Nat39 January 26, 2012 at 18:16 #

I`ve had a similar reaction. It`s a beautiful `top-quality` collection but I find it hard to get excited about it, in fact, it feels slightly underwhelming next to his previous collections.

• Yeliz January 26, 2012 at 20:11 #

Very good idea, I would sell my car for look 12 and look 25.

14. Hannah January 26, 2012 at 18:38 #

I feel like there is no need saying how gorgeous the colelction is, even though it is very similar to the last few couture collections in aprticlar that he has done, it is a great collection all teh same.
    Call me crazy, but I would die for Meryl Streep to wear the pale coral long sleeved gown you featured above (look 22), or maybe even the opening look, to the Oscars. I know it probably (read: Definitely) wont happen, but a girl can dream!

15. Jones19 January 26, 2012 at 20:10 #

This is what beautiful looks like.

16. Bec January 26, 2012 at 21:55 #

I don’t care that its familiar…..that’s what I love about it…you look at it and instantly can tell by the intricate details and the immaculate tailoring that it’s an Elie Saab piece….J’adore! :)

17. molly January 26, 2012 at 22:06 #

Please excuse me while I have a Saab-gasm. This is too much pretty to take in.

18. Viola January 27, 2012 at 01:06 #

Saab’s creations are so beautiful that he seems to love producing different versions every season of essentially the same dress. I can’t decide whether this is a good or a bad thing.

• bee7 January 27, 2012 at 05:28 #

+1.no doubt his dresses are beautiful but most of them look similar with his past collections. same silhouette only with different colour or embellishments.

19. CreoleLady January 27, 2012 at 13:41 #

A little too pastel, “Easter egg basket” for me. Prefer one of his earlier collections which featured juicier, bolder colors. Of course I’m biased because if I were to wear some of these pastel colors, I would look like I was coming down with the flu. On a person with the right coloring, these dresses will look wonderful.

20. andrea January 27, 2012 at 16:14 #

Elie Saab , as others will argue especially women that are cut after the pattern of vogue etc. and other metaphorical figures of fashion will absolutely agree that he is undoubtedly one of the greatest, designers dedicated to throw light on the couture world that has been delineated by the word ‘beauty’ and ‘grace’ by designers who argued about the the vast perspective of interpreting and finding its most atrocious meaning, but sometimes as I oooooooh and aaaah when I watch his fashion shows

21. andrea January 27, 2012 at 16:15 #

am concerned if whether I am going to appreciate elie saab intellectually (what I mean is to make a critique on his innovation , originality, and everything that concerns the sort of ‘cerebral’ part of his work that also consists of the flow of ideas and how it can apply to tastes and standards of those who are the classicists and the modernists), and here comes the ‘women’ part of me (whether I would just throw myself into the oohh and the ahh thing without really trying to touch the cerebral

22. andrea January 27, 2012 at 16:15 #

part of his designs and own standards) because as I try to weigh and gravitate myself to the different opinions of those who have watched elie saab’s; if one would really separate the bias thing on one’s mind regarding elie saab’s designs, both those who oppose and who are the unflinching followers pf him have strong points of arguments, there is the applicability the functionality, the fluidity and the impeccability on his designs while others critique him his originality, the ideas that

23. andrea January 27, 2012 at 16:16 #

re abundantly poured on his ‘ethereal’ designs and the sort of ‘oh my god i know what will be next’ consciousness in connection with his works… so i believe that elie saab whether he would try to be edgy or NOT ( and I believe he would absolutely stick on his aesthetical ideals) wil lFOREVER BE regarded as one of the most distinguished grand cotouriers of our time because of the UNIVERSALITY of his designs and the way how every single details of his designs are linked and drastically

24. andrea January 27, 2012 at 16:18 #

connected with each other, THUS; creating a subdued, ‘easy to digest’ designs and a harmony to that is absolutely tasteful and applicable to every one’s delight…….. tell me what u think

25. Luca S January 28, 2012 at 20:34 #

Sorry to break up the lovefest, but I feel like I have seen these dresses from him 5,000 times before. Sure the embroidery is beautiful and pastels are great for spring but I’m getting a serious sense of deja vu here. How many of these gowns can he parade down the runway before the whole thing is stale? I think he truly needs to experiment more because that is what couture is truly about, taking risks. And I don’t see any risks here, again I won’t deny the beauty of the gowns but after years of sameness he has not proven that he can truly think “outside the box” or design anything different. Now, before you all jump on me and call me a “hater”, I am entitled to my opinion and I believe Mr.Saab could benefit from a little constructive criticism.

26. Fiona January 29, 2012 at 17:52 #

Just wondering, is it just me or did you not post the credits for the pictures on this post? Please reply! The collection is such classic Elie, soooo beautiful and heavenly.

27. let February 2, 2012 at 06:07 #