22.12.11 Best Of

Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2011

Here are the results of the Readers’ Choice Best Dressed Of The Year 2010.

1. Cate Blanchett in Givenchy Couture – 2011 Oscars
2. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge in Alexander McQueen – Royal wedding
3. Nina Dobrev in Donna Karan – 2011 Emmy’s
4. Mila Kunis in Elie Saab Couture – 2011 Oscars
5. Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace – 2011 Golden Globes
6. Diane Kruger in Jason Wu – 2011 Met Gala
7. Emma Watson in Oscar de la Renta – ‘Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2′ London premiere
8. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley In Gucci – ‘Transformers: Dark Of The Moon’ Moscow premiere
9. Nicole Kidman In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture – 2011 Grammys
10. Zhang Ziyi in Christian Dior – ‘Love for Life’ Rome Film Festival premiere

See who just missed out on the Top 10

11. Lady Gaga in Alexander McQueen – 2011 Bambi Awards
12. Leighton Meester in Burberry Prorsum – 2011 Golden Globe Awards
13. Michelle Obama in Alexander McQueen – President Jintao State Dinner
14. Zoe Saldana in Armani Privé – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Tree Of Life” Premiere
15. Anne Hathaway in Armani Privé – 2011 Golden Globe Awards
16. Diane Kruger in Elie Saab Couture – “The Ides Of March” Venice Film Festival Premiere
17. Kirsten Dunst in Derek Lam – Bulgari Le Gemme Eyewear Collection Launch
18. Olivia Wilde in Marchesa – 2011 Golden Globe Awards
19. Zoe Saldana in Elie Saab – 2011 Latin Grammy Awards
20. Beyonce Knowles in Lanvin – 2011 MTV Music Awards

Credit: Getty

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 - Lupita Nyong’o

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 – Lupita Nyong’o

Brand Ambassador of 2011 - Victoria Beckham

Brand Ambassador of 2011 – Victoria Beckham

93 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2011

1. Maz December 22, 2011 at 16:09 #

So glad Nicole made it in there, this is the best she’s looked in forever…lets not forget the recent Stella McCartney horror! Wish Kirsten in Derek Lam had made it…

2. Emma December 22, 2011 at 16:09 #

Lovely top ten except #9, I’ll never like this lady whatever she wears.

Wish Leighton Meester would have been in the top ten with that gorgeous unexpected Burberry Prorsum dress. And Zoe Saldana in that amazing Elie Saab number.

• yop December 22, 2011 at 17:32 #

3. Giuseppi Giraffe December 22, 2011 at 16:14 #

No surprises here :)
    I totally forgot about Angelina Jolie in that green Versace. Yummy :)

4. Alice December 22, 2011 at 16:15 #

I’m genuinely surprised by the lack of Zoe Saldana and Olivia Wilde’s Golden Globes outfit.

Thrilled that Nicole Kidman’s Jean paul Gaultier dress is there though, my personal favourite from the year.

• Jones19 December 22, 2011 at 19:04 #

+1 on Olivia’s Marchesa Globes gown.

5. shap_half December 22, 2011 at 16:16 #

Shocked that Fan Bingbing failed to make even the Top 20! Maybe everyone’s getting Fan fatigue?

I voted for Nicole so I’m glad she made it in the Top 10…

• Moxie December 22, 2011 at 16:40 #

She had a LOT of great looks, IMO, rather than one or two standout looks. She probably split the votes amongst several great looks.

6. Chloe December 22, 2011 at 16:16 #

Second year in the row on top for Cate.

• Alina December 22, 2011 at 17:09 #

She deserves it. She had only 5 looks featured on this site this year and she still managed to win. Kudos !

• Hannah December 22, 2011 at 17:41 #

Exactly. she is amazing, I cannot wait until the Hobbit, hopefully she’ll be promoting that a lot (and I am a major LOTR fan, so doubly-exciting). Always flawless.

• bas December 22, 2011 at 18:23 #

+1 :)

• EmmaWoodhouse December 23, 2011 at 19:46 #

Wow, I totally agree. I LOVE Cate–especially because she was in LOTR, which is my favorite movie and I can’t wait to see her in The Hobbit. Here’s hoping that she promotes it like, ALL YEAR LONG! :D

• Martin December 22, 2011 at 23:34 #

+ 1. The woman is perfection and she even topped last year’s effort in this Givenchy Haute Couture creation. When she brings her A game, there is simply no contest. I mean, come on, she beat the most photographed dress of the 21st century so far for heaven’s sake! Well deserved. Flawless.

7. Nat December 22, 2011 at 16:18 #

None of these was in my personal Top Ten, but I like this list.
    Cate Blanchett was definetly in my Top 15 and nobody can disagree on the fact that the Duchess’ wedding gown was the most iconic dress of the year.
    I still think that Nina Dobrev’s gown is a bit over-rated and that there are better Elie Saabs than Mila’s, but all in all – as I said – I like this list.

• Maria December 22, 2011 at 22:12 #

I totally agree with you!!! :D

8. evelyn December 22, 2011 at 16:20 #

SO DISSAPPOINTED NOT TO SEE JLO OR ZOE MAKE IT……..LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE BEST DIVA AWARD(JLO)..

• RebelR December 23, 2011 at 00:11 #

Agreed about J.Lo.

9. Nicole December 22, 2011 at 16:23 #

Wow. This is exactly my top ten favourite looks of the year except instead of Diane Kruger I had Olivia
    Wilde in Marchesa. Doesn’t matter though as Diane looked stunning and definitely deserved to make the top ten.

• jo December 22, 2011 at 23:05 #

I had Olivia instead of Nicole :) I’m so glad that Cate won, she is flawless.

10. Mario December 22, 2011 at 16:26 #

I knew Cate would’ve been best dressed of the year again, I immediately voted for her.

• Fiona December 22, 2011 at 23:15 #

Me too – I just couldn’t go past this Givenchy look, she was so brave and beautiful. I thought it may be an unpopular choice, but I was thrilled to open up this morning and see that many great minds think alike!!

11. Grace December 22, 2011 at 16:28 #

I just can’t help but feeling like Cate was eating a hot dog and dripped some mustard on her shoulder’s in this gown.

• yourockmyworld December 22, 2011 at 17:16 #

hahah

• Dhppy December 22, 2011 at 19:37 #

I must say, I felt like the only person on Earth who couldn’t appreciate that Givenchy gown on Cate Blanchett .

• Moxie December 22, 2011 at 23:36 #

You’re not alone.

12. marie December 22, 2011 at 16:34 #

sad that Zoe didnt make it, but happy that Diane made it in her Jason Wu number..and yes, Nicole really looked amazing

13. Sabina December 22, 2011 at 16:39 #

My top 3 were Amber Heard in Elie Saab, Diane Kruger in Jason Wu, and Halle Berry in Elie Saab

14. Moxie December 22, 2011 at 16:41 #

Not surprised Cate won, even though it isn’t my favorite. Not surprised by the Top 10, even if only two of my faves made it.

15. Zineb December 22, 2011 at 16:44 #

Voted 20 times for Cate Blanchett. Can we give the award of Best dressed of the decade ? haha she’ll win for me !

16. Rita S. December 22, 2011 at 16:46 #

Loved Emma Watson this year, that look was perfection.
    Great list, but I haaaate the necklace in Nina’s look. It ruins the whole thing for me.

17. Paul McLauchlan December 22, 2011 at 16:52 #

Rooney Mara?

18. Paddy M December 22, 2011 at 16:55 #

Not a single mention for Fan Bing Bing! I imagine she cancelled herself out, unfortunately.

• Fashion Critic December 22, 2011 at 17:34 #

yep…many votes but too far spread over many looks

• Liz December 22, 2011 at 21:12 #

I know I’m surprised Fan Bing Bing in Jason Wu didn’t make it. Or anyone of the Elie Saab’s she wore. She was going to be my number one choice, but I didn’t get a chance to vote.

These are all still great choices though. Most of them would’ve made my top 10 list, with the exception of Nicole Kidman (I don’t even remember her wearing that) and also Rosie in Gucci…she looks lovely, but the dark blue Burberry dress was my favorite of hers from this year.

19. Samantha December 22, 2011 at 17:10 #

Count me in as someone who doesn’t get Cate Blanchett’s gown, and this is from someone who usually is in love with her style. I just didn’t like the yellow!

I think Catherine should have been #1, but I’m happy with #2. Also loved Nicole, Angelina, Diane, Nina, and Rosie. Although, I would have picked another Rosie look. Emma’s was good, but I’m surprised to see it in the Top 10. I knew Mila would be here, and I thought she looked nice, but definitely not my fave. And Zhang’s dress was just too princess-y for me.

I think the biggest snub is Michelle Obama’s McQueen gown. So close to the Top 10, but she definitely should have been up there!

20. Janet Snakehole December 22, 2011 at 17:12 #

Nina Dobrev in that red Donna Karan is THE BEST dressed celebrity of the year. She literally made me gasp for air.

Im surprised that no Zoe Saldana or Emma Stone on the list? What gives? Emma was INCREDIBLE all year long.

• Jones19 December 22, 2011 at 18:28 #

I agree. My vote went to Nina, flawless gown with flawless styling and she worked the hell out of it. I’m so happy that she made #3!

21. Emi December 22, 2011 at 17:21 #

My favorite isn’t in the list, but I like it, anyway, because there’re some of my favorite looks of 2011, like Diane, Mila, Angelina, Rosie… i voted for another Diane Kruger’s outfit, but at the end of the day I could vote any of her outfits, she’s definitely my favorite red carpet’s diva. I’m sorry that Natalie Portman is not in the list, I think she wore beautiful gowns when she was pregnant.

22. GGG December 22, 2011 at 17:22 #

Whoo hoo! I voted for Cate! Two years in a row, she’s won… What a gorgeous, unique, talented woman. ** Sigh **

23. Emi December 22, 2011 at 17:23 #

And I’m curious to know your favorite one, FC.

• Fashion Critic December 22, 2011 at 17:32 #

It will be posted tomorrow :)

• Mario December 22, 2011 at 18:03 #

I bet it’s Cate’s Givenchy :D

• Ala December 22, 2011 at 18:13 #

I remember last year when you posted the BDOTY readers choice, it felt like forever between then and you posting yours… even though I knew it was just a day.

My curiosity made it feel like quite a bit of time, though I doubt I was the only one! :P

• Fashion Critic December 22, 2011 at 18:14 #

lol..yes I remember :D

24. DSI December 22, 2011 at 17:26 #

Kudos to the lovely women. But where is Fan Bing Bing???

25. Yeliz December 22, 2011 at 18:02 #

Three of my favorites are in it (Nina, Mila and Rosie) and the list is almost like I expected it to be.
    But I’m really shocked like the rest of you that Fan Bing Bing couldn’t make it even to the Top 20! She really had her moments this year – especially because she wore my favorite designer several times and almost all of her looks were BDOTY worthy. Let’s hope that she will go on with that in 2012 and make it to the list then.

FC I’m really excited about your favorite too.

• Moxie December 22, 2011 at 18:20 #

FC said the votes for Fan Bingbing were spread over many great looks. The woman had hardly any missteps.

26. Ala December 22, 2011 at 18:10 #

My favorites are 6, 9 and 10… I feel they were glamorous, fashion forward and everything about the look was perfect. The others I feel like there was one or two things wrong with them… and with a best dressed of the YEAR top ten list, EVERY single look should be the top of it’s game.

At the same time, it’s nice to see what RCFA readers voted for :)

27. jeny December 22, 2011 at 18:26 #

my favorites Nina,Rosie,and Zhang ,and relly i can’t chose the bast ,it’s hard all of them looks gorgeous’but am suprise where is Fan bing bing!

28. Jones19 December 22, 2011 at 18:29 #

Great list, my favorite Nina Dobrev is #3 so I’m happy. The only look I’m sorely missing is Olivia Wilde in Marchesa at the Golden Globes, loved that dress.

29. Maria December 22, 2011 at 18:43 #

As usual my choice didn’t get the TOP 10! :(

30. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 22, 2011 at 18:49 #

So many delicious looks! I was a huge fan of Cate’s Oscar dress (and flawless makeup and hair), until I saw the back of it.

Thanks for all the gorgeous eye candy FC!

31. Femme December 22, 2011 at 18:53 #

Yes! Cate was totally my number 1 :D, how could she not be number one, look at her! :p

32. Fer December 22, 2011 at 18:59 #

I really PRAYED that Eugenia Silva at the Elle Awards 25th Anniversary in Armani Privé could make it to the list, i really don’t know who she is and i DON’T care, but her style, that dress, the hair, the clutch, the shoes, EVERY single detailled in that look made it breath taking and for me is one of the most memorable and unique looks i’ve seen in the whole year, what do you think FC?

33. glenn December 22, 2011 at 19:23 #

i love the top ten except for Cate Blanchett in Givenchy Couture, this dress is horrible !!!!!

• Dhppy December 22, 2011 at 19:43 #

I wouldn’t say horrible, but no, I don’t get it either. The yellow spots in particular drive me up a wall filled with “why?”.

• noo December 22, 2011 at 21:37 #

even though i like this one, i completely get your feeling! i was not a fan of her BDOTY look from last year!

34. http://whatisthenewblack.blogspot.com/ December 22, 2011 at 19:31 #

What a great list! All those gowns are so beautiful! I am a little surprised to see that Nina Dobrev’s Donna Karan dress was ranked THAT high, but I’m super happy about it, because she’s just amazing!

35. Estranged December 22, 2011 at 19:39 #

Five of my ten choices made it to the top #10. I’m so glad Angelina made it, I think she never looked more beautiful. Also can’t wait to see your choices, FC!

36. Case December 22, 2011 at 19:46 #

I’m so grateful for this list because it reminds me of all the looks I loved and forgot about. Especially for Rosie H-W’s Gucci dress. She killed her promo tour for Transformers and this dress was the pinnacle of it for me!

37. Dhppy December 22, 2011 at 19:55 #

Well, I matched 4 of the Top 20 , so that’s something. I didn’t rely as heavily on gowns for grand affairs. I picked more street style outfits.

38. Carmen December 22, 2011 at 20:02 #

Sooo many gorgeous looks to choose, but I voted for Nicole, I was so happy and impressed when I saw her in that JPG dress after so many disappointing looks.
    I wish she would had worn this dress in the Oscars.
    Thanks for all the work you have done.
    Besoss

39. J.A. December 22, 2011 at 20:18 #

Cate Blanchett’s Givenchy Couture look was my absolutely favorite of the year, so happy it is #1. Kind of dissappointed Lady Gaga didn’t make it, but still happy with the other 9 who did.

40. molly December 22, 2011 at 20:59 #

All of my favorites made it one here!
    Emma, Rosie, Nicole, Cate, Diane, and Mila!
    Im actually surprised that Catherine made it on the list. I loved her wedding dress, but I was dissapointed in Sarah Burton. The dress was just so generic, it could have been made by anyone. Then again, it was the most talked about dress of the year, so it makes sense.
    And I so called Cate being best dressed way back in February :)

41. alice December 22, 2011 at 21:18 #

I’m sad not to see Christina Ricci in Zac Posen … I really loved it

42. Parvati December 22, 2011 at 21:25 #

I agree that this is a really good Top 10, although it includes only 3 looks that made it to my personal top 10: Cate Blanchett, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge and Mila Kunis.

I was a bit disappointed not to see Bar Refaeli in Roberto Cavalli making it to the Top 20, at least. She looked stunning and she was my personal favourite this year. But sure, everyone has different opinions and after all, Cate won, so that’s good! :)

43. bec December 22, 2011 at 21:44 #

Ugggh I hate that Angelina makes the list just because she decided not to wear black for once! Other than that I am happy with the list :)

44. Cory December 22, 2011 at 21:48 #

No Rachel McAdams at Cannes? THAT MARCHESA DRESS WAS BRILLIANT!

I am so happy no Blake Lively. Most overrated “fasionista” of the decade.

45. TigerNueng December 22, 2011 at 22:03 #

I votes for Nicole Kidman!

46. Leela December 22, 2011 at 23:15 #

#8 & #10 – pure perfection! I voted for Rosie a few times

47. Suzette December 23, 2011 at 01:02 #

I thought of all the ladies in green gowns this year (Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, & Zoe Saldana) Gwyneth far surpassed them in That Elie Saab gown from the Spring 2012 collection. Jennifer Lopez not making an appearance in the top ten is a gross mistake. I much preferred Rihanna in her Gaultier dress instead of Nicole Kidman. Mila Kunis, Kate Middleton and Diane Kruger have no business being mentioned in the top ten either. I’m fine with everyone else except for the number ranking assigned to each women.

48. dorothy December 23, 2011 at 01:11 #

I just want to know who made this list. I doubt it’s authority.

49. EmmaWoodhouse December 23, 2011 at 02:07 #

Cate wasn’t my vote but I couldn’t be more glad to see her Royal Awesomeness on top–I voted for the Duchess’s wedding gown, it made #2! I wish Fan Bing Bing had been on the list–she had some AMAZING looks this year, particularly at Cannes! LOVED that Emma’s de la Renta made the list–she deserved that spot. :) Mila looks great and Zhang’s dress was definitely on my list! Angelina’s green goddess look was also fabulous. Great list–just wish that Fan had made it! :)

• EmmaWoodhouse December 23, 2011 at 02:23 #

When will your list be up FC? I’m excited to see what you pick!

• Fashion Critic December 23, 2011 at 09:28 #

later today

50. Raquel December 23, 2011 at 02:21 #

Ah, the wonders of democracy. I would have never guessed that Cate would make it…. Because the dress is just, meh.

Emma looks stunning.

51. Trin December 23, 2011 at 02:49 #

Cate Blanchett is one of the best dressed of all the times !!! She was flawless in Givenchy. A goddess. I love her !

52. Jess2 December 23, 2011 at 03:19 #

An excellent top 10 but I personally was not blown away by Cate and Nicole like I was with the others. I thought Dita, J.Lo and Emma Stone would make top 20. I do think it is cool that Cate has come out on top both last year and this year. Good on her.

53. Ayesha December 23, 2011 at 04:43 #

Great job….happy holidays :)

54. yu December 23, 2011 at 06:10 #

Zhang Ziyi

55. Jallen December 23, 2011 at 07:52 #

Definitely i love Zhang Ziyi’s dress it’s so amazing like a beautiful princess!!!! she is my favourate actress in Asia

56. eva December 23, 2011 at 09:39 #

where’s my beloved Bingbing…kinda schocked…

57. roxana December 23, 2011 at 09:45 #

perfect top!

58. Darien December 23, 2011 at 10:45 #

Cate was one of the best no doubt, more than thrilled to know she topped the list two years in a row with such little appearances, All hail the Queen!! :) also Christina Ricci in Zac Posen was one other dress that trully took my breath away, my personal BDOTY, :)

• Darien December 23, 2011 at 10:46 #

*such few appearances, :P sorry

59. ahot December 23, 2011 at 14:27 #

i personally voted for one & that´s Cate, so yeah! I like this list
    Nina was trully breathtaking.
    Diane, ah Diane so chicsexyedgy!
    Angie was sizzling in Versace of course,
    Zhang, very princessy,
    Nicole really statuesque
    Emma was really cute
    & i might be the only one who wasn´t stunned by the duchess; she looked gorgeous & all but there was nothing trully iconic for me there. i think that eyeliner is the one thing going in history, lol.
    & Rosie had a really great run, but she is a model, so it´s to be expected imo

60. ash December 23, 2011 at 16:11 #

Yay, I got 6/10! I`m sooo happy that Cate the Great is no. 1 for the 2nd year in the row. She`s really the only one who wears Fashion sooo damn well

61. Rahel December 24, 2011 at 21:12 #

I don’t get the love for Cate Blanchett’s dress. I understand that people have diffrent opinions but why this dress? To me it looks like someone on Voyager would wear it.

62. juneR December 25, 2011 at 04:42 #

zhang zi yi is so amazing she is like Cinderella