Who Wore Christian Dior Better? Zhang Ziyi or Charlize Theron

Zhang Ziyi wore this polka-dot Christian Dior Resort 2012 dress during the ‘Love for Life’ Rome Film Festival photocall last month.

It’s far from being my favourite Dior look. The open sleeves are particularly jarring, but that pretty necklace provides a nice distraction.

Charlize Theron wore the same dress with a black blazer on ‘The Tonight Show with Jay Leno’ recently to promote her new movie, ‘Young Adults’.

Whilst the dress is not great, the blazer is too heavy for it, so Zhang wins for me.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Florence Welch's Emilio Pucci Crystal-Embellished Velvet Dress

Florence Welch’s Emilio Pucci Crystal-Embellished Velvet Dress

Nicholas Oakwell Fall 2011 Couture

Nicholas Oakwell Fall 2011 Couture

13 Responses to Who Wore Christian Dior Better? Zhang Ziyi or Charlize Theron

1. Kevin December 21, 2011 at 11:45 #

Why blazer?!- -

2. Martin December 21, 2011 at 11:47 #

Don’t want to bang the Galliano drum (again), but THIS is what Dior has become? This dress looks as though it belongs in a Winter Kate designed by Nicole Richie collection. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with Winter Kate itself, but the house of Dior should stand for something a little more dramatic and elegant than a split-sleeve chiffon maxi dress. So common. And neither Charlize nor Zhang Ziyi can elevate it unfortunately. Zhang’s accessories are mismatched and Charlize most certaintly did not need to add a weighty jacket to a dress with sleeves. I’m torn, toss a coin …

• Fashion Critic December 21, 2011 at 12:12 #

“This dress looks as though it belongs in a Winter Kate designed by Nicole Richie collection”

I’m gonna have to agree with you very strongly on this point

• Jones19 December 21, 2011 at 13:28 #

Couldn’t agree more, this dress is hardly up to Dior’s standards.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 21, 2011 at 16:08 #

+3. Coin toss, with a leaning towards Zhang. The heavy velvet blazer defied all reason.

• EmmaWoodhouse December 22, 2011 at 03:18 #

+1 DivaDebbi–I voted for Zhang because the blazer made her look like she was trying to mix a boho vibe with a job interview!

• Verena Hafner - musings of a fashion stylist December 22, 2011 at 03:40 #

Charlize wins for me because she manages to calm the dress down. Why she picked it in the first place is a mystery to me. Spot on with the Winter Kate comparison! Too true, in fact.

3. gabis December 21, 2011 at 12:08 #

The dress the model is wearing looks a bit different and surely a lot prettier. If they actually changed to the actresses, they made a huge mistake.
    Either way, I still prefer it on Zhang Ziyi. If Charlize wanted to hide the open sleeves, she could’ve picked a lighter, smaller jacket…

4. Camille December 21, 2011 at 12:43 #

Hi
    I find Charlize Theron’s styling way better. It’s simple and cute. Even if the blazer is a little bit heavy, the whole silhouette is prettier. Charlize’s do is perfect with this dress.
    Zhang Ziyi’s hairstyle is not working at all!

• Juliana December 21, 2011 at 21:09 #

+1 Also, I love that she pulled up her blazer sleeves.

5. lelaid December 21, 2011 at 15:19 #

Poppy Delevigne also wore this dress to the Christian Dior show too. I think she wore it better than both tbh.

6. jani December 29, 2011 at 15:25 #

Charlize! She is my girl crush :) haha

-Jani

7. CD March 25, 2012 at 02:55 #

I love the look with the blazer!