Helen Mirren In Dolce & Gabbana – 2011 British Comedy Awards

Helen Mirren added a touch of glamour to the 2011 British Comedy Awards on Friday in London.

The annual event in London celebrates the UK’s biggest comedy talents on stage and TV and was presented by Jonathan Ross.

Mirren was also on hand to present the Lifetime Achievement award to the team behind hit current affairs show, ‘Have I Got News For You’.

She did so looking as gorgeous as ever, wearing a Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2011 dress.

Many of you had Dolce & Gabbana star-print fatigue earlier this summer, but you have to admit that the grand dame looks outstanding in this star-print Dolce & Gabbana charmeuse lace inserts dress which she sexed up with leather gloves.

Helen added a necklace with a cluster of stars, a black clutch, tights and black pumps to complete her look.

Even with the pumps and tights, she’s already in strong contention for being my favourite this week.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

LeAnn Rimes' Alaïa Serpent Tier Dress

LeAnn Rimes’ Alaïa Serpent Tier Dress

Estelle In Diane von Furstenberg - VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul

Estelle In Diane von Furstenberg – VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul

36 Responses to Helen Mirren In Dolce & Gabbana – 2011 British Comedy Awards

1. Pati December 19, 2011 at 11:34 #

She looks fabulous (as always)! She is a living proof that you can age beautifully without botox and plastic surgery..

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 19, 2011 at 16:47 #

She has definitely had work, but of the best kind…refreshed but not wind blown.

I don’t care for anything about this look. Awful neck to toe.

• Emi December 20, 2011 at 12:28 #

I totally agree with you. And this one of the worst outfit of the month, honestly. Terrible.

2. artemis December 19, 2011 at 11:41 #

It is one of the rare times I disagree with you FC ;-)..I don’t like this look at all and I don’t find it appropriate for her age..I have too admit she looks beautiful though!

• Nick December 19, 2011 at 12:41 #

I agree…i dont understand the love for this look i think its the worst she has EVER looked and i have hated the star print since it debuted on the runway

• Giuly December 19, 2011 at 13:08 #

I totally agree! it is not appropriate for her age and for her look. The star print and the lace are too much! Not to mention the necklace and the gloves.

• dee December 19, 2011 at 14:07 #

I agree with all of you. This is horrible. I usually love Helen’s choices but this does nothing to enhance her beauty.

• Hannah December 19, 2011 at 17:21 #

I really don’t like the look. The dress by itself with calmer styling would have been preferred, but even so I don’t like the dress. Her hair and makeup are beautiful, and she is so charming, but that’s all this look has going for it, unfortunately.

• Verena Hafner - musings of a fashion stylist December 19, 2011 at 22:51 #

My thoughts exactly. I don’t think the dress is necessarily too young for her as many others have noted but she most certainly overaccessorised the look: the tights (that block the last lace panel and weigh everything down), the gloves, the necklace – it all needs to go, really.

• smolls December 19, 2011 at 23:26 #

I agree with both of you – the best part of this look is Helen. The worst part of this look – everything else. :(

• Giuseppi Giraffe December 20, 2011 at 00:41 #

That was my exact same thought- I like/respect HM enough to take a positivie view of this, but it looks like something Avril Lavigne would wear (and I’d cringe at her dressing too young in it).

It’s bold, I’ll say that, and I love, love, LOVE her example in aging gracefully, so I’m willing to forgive the fact that I don’t care for this look. But if I’d seen this on anyone who I didn’t think was as sophisticated and intelligent as her I would be disgusted, really.

3. Martin December 19, 2011 at 11:44 #

Not the biggest fan of Helen the Great in this look. The dress is pretty complicated to begin with and Mirren just manages to complicate it even further by adding the gloves and the necklace to an already loud dress. In my honest opinion, total overkill. Strip it back, keep it clean and simple and this could have worked.

• CreoleLady December 19, 2011 at 12:19 #

+1. Too too. I love the Dame but this is a complete miss for me.

• Saray December 19, 2011 at 14:06 #

I agree. Even Helen makes mistakes though..

• mol December 19, 2011 at 17:18 #

What else can one say, agree completely!

4. The Dame December 19, 2011 at 11:46 #

I think she would have rocked this had she chosen edgier shoes, something in black leather and wrapped around her ankles. Gorgeous from the knees up!

5. Mayuki December 19, 2011 at 11:56 #

i think she did so looking as gorgeous as ever.

6. CTgirl December 19, 2011 at 12:43 #

Love Helen but the outfit is a Helena Bonham Carteresque nightmare. Holy crap this is awful. Too much going on and she looks kind of insane in this dress.

7. robbie December 19, 2011 at 13:05 #

head to toe disaster.

• Alina December 19, 2011 at 14:21 #

Ditto.

• Suz December 19, 2011 at 14:54 #

Agreed. She looks ridiculous.

8. Ju Aquino December 19, 2011 at 13:17 #

I LOVE it !!! I think it’s appropriate and different from what she has worn before.

9. Valeria December 19, 2011 at 14:20 #

as much as I try…i can’t like this look from chin down

10. TeaAtTwo December 19, 2011 at 14:51 #

My issue here isn’t one of age but how it does nothing for her fantastic figure. Also the over accessorising is awful.

• Rebecca Z December 19, 2011 at 16:55 #

Exactly–way too fussy, the dress is stuck to her legs–it doesn’t celebrate her figure or style. Unusual failure from this beautiful and tasteful woman.

11. Sinéad December 19, 2011 at 15:35 #

The leather gloves are by Irish designer Paula Rowan. It’s great to see Helen Mirren endorsing some of the world’s newest and most established fashion brands.

12. Raquel December 19, 2011 at 15:44 #

I really don’t see the age issue, really. But I have always disliked this print, it looks cheap and it does no favors for whoever wears that. This said, I think the dress works better without the gloves and with nude legs.

13. Rahel December 19, 2011 at 15:58 #

I like the dress on Candice. She looks very cute in it. But Helen doesn’t. She shouldn’t have worn it with glowes and black tights. It’s too much.
    If she would have dropped the accessoires and changed the shoes (I like the idea of white shoes to this dress) then it could have worked.

14. Tati M December 19, 2011 at 16:01 #

Ridiculous

15. Jones19 December 19, 2011 at 18:22 #

She looks like a Christmas tree and not in a good way.

16. EmmaWoodhouse December 19, 2011 at 18:33 #

I’m dying! Helen is AMAZING and one of my favorite style stars of all time, but this! This! So terrible…a mish mash of patchwork and bad lace…not to mention those gloves! She is SO much better than this.

17. Isadora December 20, 2011 at 00:15 #

I don’t mind the print, I don’t mind her age, but I do mind that full-cup bra look this dress seems to have around the bust.

18. msd December 20, 2011 at 07:49 #

I love Helen Mirren but urgh … the necklace, the gloves, the hair, the shoes. This is awful.

19. Linda December 20, 2011 at 13:26 #

This is the one time she has a total miss. Way too much going on and to top it off the fussy hair. I really don’t like this at all.

20. Parvati December 20, 2011 at 17:34 #

I hate to say this, but I find this look awful. I’ve always admired how stylish she looks in anything, so this is a huge disappointment. The gloves and the tights are probably the accessories that ruin the look for me. I would be really curious to see how it would look without gloves and tights (or with sheer tights).

21. Lou December 20, 2011 at 19:44 #

I ususally love everything Helen wears but I think this look really doesn’t work on her at all. I am also finding it hard to live on the model/catwalk – not an easy look to pull off