19.12.11

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – The Sun Military Awards

The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge were joined by Prince Harry at the Imperial War Museum to attend The Sun Military Awards in London tonight.

Catherine dazzled the troops wearing an Alexander McQueen velvet strapless gown.

She accessorized the gown with a sparkling necklace with pink gemstones.

Even with David Beckham in attendance, I’m sure with that stunning gown and that gorgeous smile that all eyes were on Kate.

Whilst I’m not her biggest fan style-wise, I really love this look on this occasion as it’s so very elegant without being boring.

You may remember that Naomi Campbell wore a similar – fashion forward – version of this dress to the 2010 British Fashion Awards.

Shoerazzi has spotted the Catherine is wearing Jimmy Choo ‘Cosmic’ pumps.

J. Mendel Pre-Fall 2012

J. Mendel Pre-Fall 2012

Red Carpet Fashion Awards: Best Of 2011

Red Carpet Fashion Awards: Best Of 2011

52 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – The Sun Military Awards

1. Sara December 19, 2011 at 22:32 #

The makeup has changed! Hurrah!

• noo December 19, 2011 at 23:25 #

yeeeeeeees :D the eye liner is tame :D

• Hannah December 20, 2011 at 00:20 #

I thought that too, and then I looked at other photos. It’s still super black :(

• D December 20, 2011 at 09:15 #

this is the only down side of this look!!! i adore everything else!!

2. Vidhya December 19, 2011 at 22:48 #

She looks stunning! I’m more interested in her belly rite now! Natalie also wore a goth dior when she was hiding it!

• noo December 19, 2011 at 23:26 #

a royal news reporter saw her today and said she didn’t look pregnant :D

• Vidhya December 19, 2011 at 23:54 #

Disappointment :( :( I was already matchmaking the royal baby to little Harper :(

• noo December 20, 2011 at 18:51 #

don’t worry, if they have a girl she can marry one of the older beckham boys :D that will be the hottest set of in-laws ever :D

3. molly December 19, 2011 at 22:50 #

This is the first time that I have actually been “wowed” by Kate. Its a stunning dress and I adore the pink gems. This is further proof that she looks best when she dresses her age, and the best part is that she seems to have gotten that eyeliner under control! Hopefully this will also silence those pregnancy rumors. I just cant help but be distracted by the cute red head standing next to her…. (:

• Amanda December 19, 2011 at 23:12 #

+1 Swoon for Harry!!!

• Fashion Critic December 19, 2011 at 23:15 #

This is something about Harry

• Elaine2 December 20, 2011 at 16:45 #

Harry is the star for that night!

• Linda December 19, 2011 at 23:14 #

You can say that again :)

4. Jordi December 19, 2011 at 22:50 #

Has she finally changed a little bit her medium class eyes make up? perfect and necessary improve, maybe next time we cna see somthing diferent. gorgeus gone. I thinks she is always waring as and old person, beautiful now she is young but what is going to happeng as the time gone and she became old?

5. Ella December 19, 2011 at 22:54 #

Personally, I think it is a great look, her jewels adding just a little pop of color.

My only criticism is too much eye makeup. I love her hair, though I know plenty of people on here say they find it boring ;-)

• D December 20, 2011 at 09:16 #

does she do her own makeup?

• Terry December 20, 2011 at 09:26 #

I don’t think her hair is boring at all. I love its color and it’s so shiny!

6. gurlygurl December 19, 2011 at 22:56 #

FINALLY!! Something worth talking about. I agree completely with you FC. Generally I find the Duchess’ style uninspiring as pretty as she is. This has a bit of sass and sex appeal. The black is really working for her and it’s a stunning gown. I’ll even forgive her for keeping her usual hairstyle … I must say her locks are gorgeous and shiney. She looks great!

7. Mahima December 19, 2011 at 23:01 #

As per usual her hair is down. I must say though I wish my hair had as much bounce as hers.

8. Linda December 19, 2011 at 23:13 #

Yeah, I’ve gotta hand it to her, she looks glamourous. I really, really wish she wore the dress without lining the sheer bottom, but I suppose that would have been too much to ask. Her hair is amazing and the makeup does look better. Naomi Campbell looked awesome in her similar dress.

9. peach December 19, 2011 at 23:24 #

just gorgeous and very princess-like!

10. Fiona-Brasil December 19, 2011 at 23:31 #

Fabulous!The girl has class and poise which is very rare these days.Kudos to her!

• EmmaWoodhouse December 20, 2011 at 00:57 #

A very definite +1! The makeup is a little softer here, which is good. I LOVE this dress, the jewels, her hair, her poise–one of my style and personal icons!!!

• EmmaWoodhouse December 20, 2011 at 00:58 #

BDOTW contender for sure!!! :)

11. mm December 19, 2011 at 23:44 #

Love seeing them! Harry is sexy!

12. Luis December 20, 2011 at 00:16 #

She looks like a black swan… plus i hate velvet!

13. Nat December 20, 2011 at 00:30 #

Nice dress (nothing exciting but nice), gorgeous necklace, pretty hair. Still too much makeup and too little flesh on her bones (girl needs to eat, seriously). But she’s taking baby steps towards the right direction. :-)

14. TeaAtTwo December 20, 2011 at 02:45 #

I’m what the difference here is apart from it being a black dress but I do like it a lot. The green Mulberry dress, now this, her repertoire is expanding.

15. Lily December 20, 2011 at 05:46 #

Absolutely gorgeous! The pictures above don’t even do the dress justice. She looked stunning.

16. Taylor December 20, 2011 at 06:23 #

“Whilst I’m not her biggest fan style-wise, I really love this look on this occasion as it’s so very elegant without being boring”…Couldn’t have said it better. The hair is shiny and bouncy and the arm candy (especially the red headed one) takes this look wwwaaayyy past her usual.

17. roxana December 20, 2011 at 06:23 #

so beautiful. so princess!

18. Cara December 20, 2011 at 06:52 #

i normally LOATH velvet.. but i LOVE this

19. Andrea December 20, 2011 at 09:12 #

VERY VERY beautiful … But too black ! the shoes, the dress, and the clutch bag, too bad !

20. Vicky December 20, 2011 at 11:03 #

It’s OK, but nothing too memorable for me.
    Once again it’s her hair and makeup that boooooores me..

I know she LOVES to wear her hair down but she can still style it a bit differently every once in a while.

What’s the point of having such a gorgeous necklace (and earrings?) when you’re covering it with all that hair! Just pull a few bits from the face back and it would have made it much better.

• Alina December 20, 2011 at 14:14 #

Truer words were never spoken.

• Anna December 20, 2011 at 17:45 #

I think that in this case, having her hair down is better, as it covers up some skin (I don’t think royals are supposed to go strapless).

That being said, I do wish she’d try some new styles with her day looks.

• ahot December 20, 2011 at 20:09 #

amen to that!

• MN December 20, 2011 at 21:39 #

Yup… couldn’t agree more…

21. robbie December 20, 2011 at 11:04 #

i wish she had her hair up or even pulled back so we could see the necklace more it looks so beautiful.

prince harry though oh my, i may need to sit down.

22. Emi December 20, 2011 at 12:45 #

I love velvet gowns… and I love black and McQueen, so I like this. The necklace is very beautiful with those pink gems. I like the slight change of the make up. I’m waiting for a change of hairstyle, too because I don’t understand why she never try something new, with all the events she attends. Harry looks good in tux..

23. Yo December 20, 2011 at 13:02 #

Catherine is really defining her style at this point and I like the direction she’s heading considering the rigid confines in which she has to adhere too. However, when it comes to the Princes, I think Harry nailed it here– the cut and fit is spot on, but for Wills, I really feel he should move away from the double breasted suits and tuxedos. A fine look for his father, but not him.

24. J December 20, 2011 at 13:06 #

Love this. She looks amazing. Oh and, Helloooo Harry! :D

25. Maz December 20, 2011 at 13:25 #

Finally she’s worn something that matches up to her post wedding Jenny Packham! Gorgeous.

26. Lancel December 20, 2011 at 13:58 #

The whole look reminds me of 80’s. She looks great as always though.

27. Jess2 December 20, 2011 at 16:02 #

Stunning!! With the perfect combination of black and Mcqueen she can’t go wrong and the styling in awesome!! love love

28. Elaine2 December 20, 2011 at 16:53 #

I like the dress, but that’s it. It fits her well and has a bit of the McQueen edge to it, and could be a versatile dress in the future. Seemed as if she sort of struggled with it’s length in a video I saw of her walking in it. Maybe the tailor can fix that.

Duchess’ makeup is still off, IMO. At least her eyebrows aren’t as bad at this event as they were when they went to brunch with the Queen…..Catherine continues to have a problem with makeup.

Now that necklace – the design looks childish and costumey to me. Terrible waste of perfectly good diamonds and rubies. Her hair is a real distraction in this look, but maybe it wasn’t a bad thing to keep that necklace covered up! :-) I do like her bracelet, though, that is a classier timeless design.

29. Elaine2 December 20, 2011 at 17:29 #

On further consideration, I think that dress would look better on someone with some cleavage…….

30. Nat39 December 20, 2011 at 19:05 #

I believe that we are looking at this week`s BDOTW winner most likely. Gorgeous, perfectly done look.

31. Lucía December 20, 2011 at 21:42 #

I think she looks amazing. I know sometimes she might seem a little boring, but she always looks so perfect! Anyway, I don’t think it’s boring this time

32. lee December 21, 2011 at 01:11 #

man she is beautiful! but i could have done without the necklace. a pair of stunning statement earrings would have worked better (which probably also means doing an updo with her hair)

33. Raquel December 21, 2011 at 15:42 #

Well, I guess I’m the only one who was not impressed. I’m all for dressing for the occasion, and she is correct, but the whole look… I feel like I’m seeing something Diana would have worn circa 1997. It kinda of ages her and the hair, as pretty as it is, should have been up – or at least in a sophisticated ponytail.

34. JessicaR December 23, 2011 at 08:40 #

first thought: “THE HAIR! THE HAIR! THE HAIR IS STILL THE SAME!”