Charlize Theron In Stella McCartney – ‘Young Adult’ LA Premiere

Charlize Theron smoothed out her wavy locks for a sleek, straight hairdo on the red carpet for the LA premiere for ‘Young Adult’.

The blonde beauty wore a Stella McCartney Spring 2012 dress.

Now, many of you have struggled to like a single Stella McCartney Spring 2012 look on the red carpet, so how does Charlize ‘I can do no wrong on the red carpet’ Theron fair in this navy-and-white asymmetrical dress with mesh panels and embroidered details.

I think that if even Charlize can’t pull this off then there is no hope for anyone else.

Apart from the fact that the dress appears to be a tad too tight, this would’ve worked better for me if it was just one colour. This colour combo is jarring, to say the least, and incredibly unflattering around the bust.

The good news is she didn’t let us down in the footwear department as she donned a pair of sexy bondage-style Manolo Blahniks.

Charlize has plenty of time to redeem herself, as it was announced yesterday that she’s been nominated for the Best Actress Golden Globe for her role in ‘Young Adult’.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kate Bosworth In Stella McCartney - 2014 Met Gala

Kate Bosworth In Stella McCartney – 2014 Met Gala

Sandra Bullock In Alexander McQueen - ‘Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close’ New York Premiere

Sandra Bullock In Alexander McQueen – ‘Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close’ New York Premiere

37 Responses to Charlize Theron In Stella McCartney – ‘Young Adult’ LA Premiere

1. Martin December 16, 2011 at 11:22 #

Unfortunate, very unfortunate. These dresses all looked fabulous on the models on the runway but they are falling spectacularly flat on the red carpet. Where to begin on this? A multitude of sins – too tight, poorly-fitting in the bust, the navy panel in the middle is way too tight and too long. I don’t even think that going one size up could have salvaged this look. The SSS (Stella Spring/Summer) curse strikes again.

• Kiran December 16, 2011 at 11:53 #

Completely agree plus I think the way the baroque pattern sits on the bust just looks awkward. So far Gwyneth has done this collection the most justice IMO.

• Lucía December 16, 2011 at 16:13 #

You described perfectly what is wrong with this!

• Tahj December 17, 2011 at 00:37 #

Actually the dress looks much better on Charlize than that model.

2. Saray December 16, 2011 at 11:28 #

Wow, I really really really don’t like this look. This whole collection is horrible in my opinion anyway.

• Vicky December 16, 2011 at 12:56 #

• dee December 16, 2011 at 13:17 #

I agree. The collection is nothing to write home about. I love her sandals.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blogger) December 16, 2011 at 15:38 #

+3. Props to Mr. Blahnik for upping his shoe game within the comfort of his own aesthetic….I love these.

• maria December 16, 2011 at 22:13 #

i love the shoes too, but not sure if in conjuncture with the dress… too much meshing

3. Mary Gatto December 16, 2011 at 11:49 #

What a wasted opportunity to wow us once more…

4. CreoleLady December 16, 2011 at 12:06 #

I’m giving up the struggle.

5. Jess December 16, 2011 at 12:30 #

The whole collection was awful. Charlize is so beautiful though I hardly notice the dress.

6. Hermoine December 16, 2011 at 12:35 #

Thelma Flintstone is all I can think about. Ilike the shoes though.

7. Molly December 16, 2011 at 12:38 #

What a wreck. I don’t even like the shoes. Nobody with as strong a “do no wrong” streak as Charlize does so without a good eye of their own, no matter how great the stylist. So I wonder what she is thinking about this. I don’t see any chance it would look good from any angle in the mirror.

• gurlygurl December 16, 2011 at 12:55 #

So very true!!

8. gurlygurl December 16, 2011 at 12:47 #

From runway to red carpet this look is a fail. I’m very surprised anyone is trying to wear this collection. Like you said, if Charlize in all her Amazonian beauty cannot make this work heaven forbid any other woman should try. Back to the drawing board Stella…this all feels very amatuer.

• D December 16, 2011 at 13:53 #

9. Hannah December 16, 2011 at 12:48 #

The fit is awful but the styling is brilliant. I don’t completely hate this look, but I think that is because Charlize, terrible fit and all, looks amazing in everything apart from the Dior Oscar gown. I can actually nto wait until awards season Charlize, she has almost flawless choice in gowns.

10. Alina December 16, 2011 at 13:27 #

Bad ….

11. franca December 16, 2011 at 13:35 #

Some looks just need a stick figure with no shape or curves, in other words the dress must wear you. Just like Stella’s jumpsuit, horrendous!

12. D December 16, 2011 at 14:27 #

i dont think the wavie pattern around the bust should be fitted exactly on top of the boobs… but its just a wiered design :( still so in love with CT!

13. Jess2 December 16, 2011 at 14:35 #

Devastating!! considering Charlize’s excellent start to the week this dress makes me sad. You are right FC if Charlize can’t pull this off, ain’t nobody gonna pull it off! I love love love the shot of her shoes!! outstanding yet again

• Jess2 December 16, 2011 at 14:36 #

her hair and makeup is flawless also, the dress is the only let down here

• Rebecca Z December 16, 2011 at 16:40 #

I agree, and she wears the dress better than most. But there’s something wrong with the way these dresses are made.

• KateS December 17, 2011 at 01:52 #

I agree – I just don’t think it’s a happy combination of fabrics in this collection.

14. Emi December 16, 2011 at 14:46 #

Even if I’m a fan of Stella, I admit this collection is difficult to pull off. Said that, she didn’t because of the terrible fit of the dress, which is too tight, and because of the hemline. I think she should have kept the runway shape of the hem lengthening the dress just 10 cm, because her hem reminds me the dress of Fred Flintstone’s wife…
    I quite like the shoes, but not with this dress.

15. Lori December 16, 2011 at 15:00 #

This collection is so bad. Everyone wearing it looks stupid. Even Charlize!

16. Leti December 16, 2011 at 15:30 #

The only way I would have liked this off the runway is if the sheer part was simply lined or made with black opaque fabric, and the proportions were left the same as on the runway. I don’t like how they fiddled with the proportions of this dress! But, as noted above, the styling is otherwise perfect.

17. TeaAtTwo December 16, 2011 at 18:38 #

It’s official- this collection all round sucks.

• Tahj December 17, 2011 at 00:38 #

Stella is great at blazers and suits, but I can’t stand her gowns.

• TeaAtTwo December 18, 2011 at 04:01 #

I’m not impressed with Stella’s SS12 blazers and neither the suit in the hideous print half the collection is in.

18. Tahj December 17, 2011 at 00:38 #

I really can’t stand the mesh part, but on the other hand Charlize is so beautiful that she still manages to look stunning and classy even if the dress is questionable.

19. Katharine December 17, 2011 at 02:40 #

Stella McCartney has perpetrated some of the worst red carpet dresses of the year. If a dress is hideously unflattering on Charlize Theron, of all people, it is irredeemably bad. Worst dress of the week, and strong contender for worst of the year.

20. Verena Hafner - musings of a fashion stylist December 17, 2011 at 23:50 #

It’s funny. I’ve seen photos of her in this dress before but haven’t looked too closely. So I thought she looked good. But seeing the fit now, it’s actually quite awful. I even dislike the shoes. Not because they’re ugly, they aren’t, but because the mesh is too soft and you can see her toe bulging out. Ew.

21. EmmaWoodhouse December 18, 2011 at 01:52 #

No words for how bad this is.

22. Joy December 18, 2011 at 07:04 #

Ouch! This has gotta hurt! I have to agree that Stella can kill ya with her looks sometimes. Definitely not a good look. And those shoes, pretty but look sort of bizarre and hard to stand or walk in. I’m sure she will do better next out.

23. Parvati December 18, 2011 at 23:52 #

I actually like this look. Sure, the dress is quite tight compared to how it was presented on the runway, but I think she looks beautiful, anyway. I also love her hair and her shoes.