14.12.11 Premiere

‘The Iron Lady’ New York Premiere

Despite ‘The Iron Lady’ being about an iconic British figure, Lady Margaret Thatcher, the movie had its first premiere in New York last night.

The red carpet was a very sombre affair.

Meryl Streep: The lead actress wore a Fall 2011 look by British designer Stella McCartney. Her navy pleated plisse blouse was teamed with a black ankle-length skirt. This is the second time the actress has worn a McCartney look to promote this movie.

Olivia Wilde: Leopard-print pumps injected some life into her black Dolce & Gabbana dress; yet, as always, something is missing, which makes me only like and not love this look.

Anne Hathaway: Here we have yet another LBD. It’s simple, chic, but nothing to write home about.

Leelee Sobieski: The actress wore an Alaia navy dress which was considerably more interesting than the other looks on the red carpet. Her high-neck zipper dress has micro scalloped edges and a fluted skirt. A gorgeous statement clutch would’ve perfected this look for me.

Credit: Getty

Anne Hathaway In Whit - BBC Radio One

Anne Hathaway In Whit – BBC Radio One

Paula Patton In Naeem Khan - ‘Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol’ London Premiere

Paula Patton In Naeem Khan – ‘Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol’ London Premiere

24 Responses to ‘The Iron Lady’ New York Premiere

1. Alina December 14, 2011 at 14:05 #

BORING.

2. MReid December 14, 2011 at 14:10 #

“The red carpet was a very sombre affair”..Oy FC, indeed.

I do like Leelee’s boots but she doesn’t look like she’s headed to a premiere. And I am going to need Olivia to pull her hair back every once in a while. That’s all, I can’t find anything else to say.

3. Molly December 14, 2011 at 14:15 #

Meryl Streep looks absolutely radiant from the neck up. She is a beautiful woman, and her makeup here is just perfect. I refuse to believe that person who I thought “hey, she looks kind of like Olivia Wilde” actually IS Olivia Wilde. What happened here?! She has the most bizarre hair styling, very helmet-like. I hope there is some backstory of misadventure and hijinks on the way to the event. Otherwise, no excuse. I love Leelee’s look, but unfortunately it probably got lost in the sea of black outfits.

4. Dorian Gray December 14, 2011 at 14:37 #

Maybe the boriest red carpet ever.

5. sergioA December 14, 2011 at 14:49 #

is this a funeral?

• Tania December 14, 2011 at 21:25 #

lol!

• oksana December 14, 2011 at 23:24 #

good one.

6. Mick December 14, 2011 at 14:51 #

Was “austerity” the theme of this red carpet? Very much tatcherian! However, I like the Alaia dress and Olivia’s outfit

7. robbie December 14, 2011 at 15:26 #

by god what a boring red carpet. if meryl had ditched the tights, the bag and the scarf or whatever she is carrying it would have been alright.

8. noo December 14, 2011 at 15:37 #

you know something is wrong when meryl streep is the most colorful person on the red carpet!

• oksana December 14, 2011 at 23:25 #

HA HA, right.

9. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 14, 2011 at 15:46 #

Meryl needs a new stylist. Always unflattering. Olivia looks like she’s on her way to a wake. Anne looks like she make zero effort and I am never fond of her hair slicked back severely. I like Lele’s dress but not the casual leather boots with it for the RC.
    All in all, sad and somber.

• Nat39 December 14, 2011 at 18:37 #

Agreed. Such an unflattering look for Meryl, frumpy drab, it only accentuates her age. Olivia`s careless hair is once again a let down, just like Anne`s overly severe hairstyle. And while I like Leelee`s adorable dress, the knee-high boots do not work – a nice pair of high-heeled ankle-boots would`ve worked better.

10. Linda December 14, 2011 at 16:03 #

Super boring red carpet. I love Leelee’s outfit, but nt for a premiere. Coco really must have stuck out on this dud carpet!

11. EmmaWoodhouse December 14, 2011 at 16:12 #

Meryl…just ugh. Such an unflattering look for someone so talented and lovely. Olivia’s look is fine, but I wish she had pumped it up with some more cool accessories–those heels can’t do all the work! Anne Hathaway…nice, but boring and I don’t like her hair lik that…+1 DivaDebbi! Lele was the best to me because she actually looks like she has a style statement to make.

12. Hannah December 14, 2011 at 16:21 #

Ok, so evidently my hopes and dreams for some great Meryl Moments like the balenciaga and Chris March awards seasons ones were a little unfounded, but her look is just sad. She’s so beautiful but my oh my is her look drab.
    Also, why Leelee chooses gorgeous (expensive) dresses, like the katrantzou, and pairs them with sad footwear is beyond me.

13. dee December 14, 2011 at 17:16 #

Not excited about any of these looks.

14. Jess December 14, 2011 at 20:03 #

how perplexing…they have all the money/access needed for fun fashion, and yet look like this.

15. TeaAtTwo December 14, 2011 at 21:33 #

I keeping swaying between like and dislike over Leelee boots with the dress.

16. Carmen December 14, 2011 at 22:35 #

Was there a black/navy dress code for the film stars?

17. CTgirl December 14, 2011 at 22:55 #

Meryl really needs a stylist. She looks like a she just left the mall for a dinner out with the hubby. So frumpy.

18. mandy December 15, 2011 at 01:09 #

OMG its like people attending a funeral. Lily however, looks really cute.

19. Valeria December 15, 2011 at 01:53 #

I actually LOVE Meryl’s look and her radiant face! It all works together beautifully, even with tights and dark colors. I like Alaia dress, but not the styling, Olivia Wylde looks like a bad copy of herself. She is overrated to begin with but here it’s just tragic

20. Jess2 December 15, 2011 at 06:07 #

This can’t be a coincidence can it?? Leelee is definitely the best of a sad bunch. Honestly though all the younger ladies are wearing high neck dresses and aside from the sleeves Anne and Olivia are basically wearing the same dress. I want to like Meryl’s look but I think the sleeves are destroying the look by making it frumpy.