Rooney Mara has just taken to the red carpet with co-star Daniel Craig for the world premiere of ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ at the Odeon Leicester Square in London this evening.

The actress wore a Givenchy Fall 2011 Couture gown.

Her white embroidered gown has been considerably lined from the version that was worn by the model, but it still has the cold shoulders, open back and cut-out details at the waist.

I love that Rooney has finally got the styling right.

The ‘death-warmed-up’ look was so unappealing.

Even with the raven black hair and blunt bangs, I still feel a warmth and softness from this look.

In fact I think she looks quite angelic whilst staying true to the Gothic persona she’s adapted for this movie.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kate Mara In Christian Dior - 2014 Creative Arts Emmy Awards

Kate Mara In Christian Dior – 2014 Creative Arts Emmy Awards

Joely Richardson In Louis Vuitton - ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ World Premiere

Joely Richardson In Louis Vuitton – ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ World Premiere

44 Responses to Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture – ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ World Premiere

1. Chloe December 12, 2011 at 19:09 #

STUNNING. Def BDOTW contender for me

• Mary Gatto December 13, 2011 at 11:14 #

• Alina December 13, 2011 at 14:30 #

2. Thirteen December 12, 2011 at 19:16 #

Love it. I don’t think the “death warmed up” look was her fault, she still had to work with the hairstyle. This is flawless though.

3. goldfish December 12, 2011 at 19:17 #

stunning- not my favourite dress, but rooney is so gorgeous with that hair.. it really transformed her from the generic pretty girl image she had before..

4. Nat39 December 12, 2011 at 19:17 #

I understand it had to be lined to avoid the visible underwear but damn, this dress looks so dull without the visible embroidered detailing on the dress – just white fabric with occassional foolish cut-outs, not loving this at all. Leave this gown in its original version for someone like Natalia Vodianova to rock it.

• From Russia With Love December 12, 2011 at 20:02 #

Ditto

• Martin December 12, 2011 at 23:07 #

Totally agree. For the purposes of modesty, the dress obviously had to be lined but in doing so it deprives the gown of its intensity and, quite frankly, most of its beauty. Shame really, because the runway gown is truly incredible.

• Valeria December 13, 2011 at 02:21 #

I agree-at least the bodice should have been less lined, there is always nude lining! I don’t like how the dress fits her around hips, look how zipper is sticking out, such stunning gown should have been fitted better, or she needs to eat into some curves:)

• Verena Hafner - musings of a fashion stylist December 18, 2011 at 00:10 #

Agree. It looks a bit ‘meh’ here. But I adore the original.

5. Paul McLauchlan December 12, 2011 at 19:21 #

WOW!!! OMG!!!!

6. Paul McLauchlan December 12, 2011 at 19:21 #

BDOTY

7. marie December 12, 2011 at 19:25 #

certainly BDOTW and BDOTY! she looks stunning..just the fact that she made that hair work for her..

8. stellan December 12, 2011 at 19:25 #

Looks like she’s getting ready to be married. The lining definitely loses the impact of the embroidery. The top also looks like it could be fitted better.

9. CTgirl December 12, 2011 at 19:28 #

Such an interesting dress. She really looks stunning.

10. Paddy M December 12, 2011 at 19:39 #

A pretty, but fashion-forward couture Givenchy gown is exactly what Rooney has needed since she cut her hair. It’s such a difficult hairstyle to work, but she’s finally figured out how to do it. I love this, it’s definitely a contender for BDOTW for me.

11. Jani December 12, 2011 at 19:40 #

Beautiful dress. I think it looks better when it is all sheer like in the look book picture though.

-Jani

• gurlygurl December 13, 2011 at 02:38 #

Agreed… so much of the detail is lost. Perhaps they should have opted for a different colored lining to increase the visibility of the embroidery. Although the dress is much more beautiful in the original form there is something about her overall look that still makes it work. I love her hair and make up, she really does look angelic.

12. Linda December 12, 2011 at 19:42 #

Beautiful.

13. Cheryl December 12, 2011 at 19:51 #

Personally, I would have preferred if the look wasn’t lined like on the model. But I understand Rooney’s style is a bit safe. Regardless, the look is gorgeous and I think BDOTW nominee worthy.

14. Emi December 12, 2011 at 20:03 #

Honestly hers seems a different dress, but I think she looks great. I would have kept those two “things” on the hips and I wish the dress wasn’t lined so much. But I agree, BDOTW worthy, even if it’s only monday…

15. EmmaWoodhouse December 12, 2011 at 20:17 #

Would’ve kept the peplum detail from the runway but other than that…fabulous. What a gorgeous couture look.

16. Zineb December 12, 2011 at 20:18 #

BDOTW contender !

17. A December 12, 2011 at 20:25 #

She looks nice, but maybe the dress would’ve been better served by nude lining, rather than white.

18. Jeremy December 12, 2011 at 20:34 #

Much do I believe that this is all marketing and Rooney will drop this gothic look as soon as GWDT’s promotion is over, I cannot get over on how flawless this look is. The moment I saw this picture, I immediately thought: “Angel of death”. I hope this goes on forever…

19. dee December 12, 2011 at 20:37 #

I want to really love it but I think if the bottom part wasn’t completely lined I would have liked this much more. I understand not wanting to show too much flesh but maybe keep some of the sheerness.

20. glenn December 12, 2011 at 20:57 #

For Me Her Hair Ruins The Dress!!!!

21. Carolina December 12, 2011 at 21:09 #

There’s more than a whiff of Hepburn here – I like. A lot.

22. Jones19 December 12, 2011 at 21:29 #

I love her makeup and hair but I’m sad that the dress is so heavily lined. It doesn’t even look like a Givenchy creation.

23. maria December 12, 2011 at 21:55 #

when i first saw it i was really impressed. i think it’s one of those looks that immediately grab your attention. But when i looked at more pictures, in various poses it lost a lot of its appeal, probably due to the heavy lining of the skirt. if you separate it from the top it is nothing special.

24. LizLemooooon December 12, 2011 at 21:55 #

Not working for me. This girl has no personality, the lining really detracts from the beauty of the original design and the dress is ill-fitting. I hope she gets a bit more confidence (or Fincher gives her more pep talks) come award season.
    Gorgeous face tho.

• Raquel December 13, 2011 at 02:27 #

• Amy December 13, 2011 at 14:55 #

+2.

25. couturecoco December 12, 2011 at 22:32 #

LOVE it – beauty, fragility and edge all at the same time. The lining is way too heavy handed though which is disappointing for a house like Givenchy.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 13, 2011 at 00:18 #

+1. Its really a different dress with the modifications, but still and all, wonderful.

• Mol December 13, 2011 at 04:54 #

Agree with all you’ve said – she’s quite beautiful, just the dress that’s not quite there.

26. TeaAtTwo December 13, 2011 at 00:27 #

Definitely living up to Vogue cover girl status with this look- she looks divine. Some of the exquisite embroidery detail may be lost lining it but she cariries the dress with such poise. Reminds me of Cate B.

27. Hannah December 13, 2011 at 00:42 #

This version is too lined for me. You loose all the beautiful detailing, Freida Pinto in John Galliano at the Oscars proved that you can have some lining but keep the details and I wish that was what had happened here.
    Either way, with regard tot eh warmth/soft this look reminds me, either intentionally or ironically, of Noomi Rapace at the BAFTA’s this year in Givenchy Haute couture.

28. bm December 13, 2011 at 01:33 #

She looks so fragile but its make her look interesting.

29. Parvati December 13, 2011 at 01:41 #

She looks absolutely stunning! The gown is beautiful and she wears it really well, without it clashing with the hair the way it did in her previous appearance. For me, she is a BDOTW contender..

30. Jess2 December 13, 2011 at 11:18 #

This is an amazing look. The dress is so gorgeous, I do wish we could see the detail of the dress better but she looks fantastic and she has styled it perfectly avoiding the death warmed up look. I love her hair here, it works so well!! BDOTW contender

31. sarah December 13, 2011 at 15:39 #

why didnt she opt for a nude lining? :(
    the dress was magnificent on the runway

32. JJovana3 December 14, 2011 at 14:34 #

Stunning. Best of the year easily.

She is growing on me so much.

33. Jen December 15, 2011 at 00:51 #

I bet this looks breathtaking in person when you can see the more of the details, but being white on white, they’re probably obscured by flash photography, so I’m using my imagination a bit.

Anyway, I very much agree with your commentary on this.