Nina Dobrev In Monique Lhuillier – ‘The Ripple Effect’ Charity Dinner

Nina Dobrev attended ‘The Ripple Effect’ charity event, which was held at the Sunset Luxe Hotel in LA this weekend.

‘The Vampire Diaries’ actress opted for a demure Monique Lhuillier Fall 2011 dress.

Her corseted black lace dress with long sleeves and a fitted skirt was accessorised with a black Rena Caovilla Swarovski crystallized clutch.

The fun element of her look came via her fuchsia pink Brian Atwood ‘Maniac’ pumps, which are a favourite of Jayma Mays, Emma Stone and Olivia Wilde.

As Nina is going for very grown-up red carpet looks, I understand why she opted not to wear the bow.

I think the dress looks far better without it plus the fashion-forward pumps and the cutesy bow would’ve contradicted each other.

A simple ponytail, diamond drop earrings and pink lips completed her look.

If you had said to me at the beginning of the year that Nina Dobrev would be the one-to-watch on the red carpet, I would’ve said you were crazy.

Funny how thinks change at the turn of a dress, or a new stylist.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Odeya Rush In Monique Lhuillier - 'Meet The Filmmakers' Event

Odeya Rush In Monique Lhuillier – ‘Meet The Filmmakers’ Event

Brooklyn Decker In Christian Dior - 200 CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute

Brooklyn Decker In Christian Dior – 200 CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute

29 Responses to Nina Dobrev In Monique Lhuillier – ‘The Ripple Effect’ Charity Dinner

1. Jen December 12, 2011 at 13:24 #

I think the fit is great on her, but I don’t like the shoulders and the lace on the dress. Combined with the hot pink shoes, it’s a little too 80s for me. Love her, though.

• KateS December 13, 2011 at 10:26 #

I agree. I think Brooklyn Decker’s yellow pumps were a similar mistake.

2. Molly December 12, 2011 at 13:24 #

I’m not sold on the shoes. I appreciate the attempt to add color, but I think this color is too off-tone from the dress to work. The dress is ladylike and elegant; the neon pink is playful and frivolous. Just because black is a “neutral” and we like seeing an interjection of some color in an all-black ensemble, doesn’t mean ANY color will work. The contrast here is too jarring.

• dee December 12, 2011 at 13:53 #

I completely agree.

• Jess2 December 12, 2011 at 14:06 #

Great points, I completely agree!! I love the dress and I do like the shoes but they aren’t working well here because the contrast is a bit too much

• CTgirl December 12, 2011 at 14:24 #

Agree! Not only is the color off putting but the style of the shoes are way too clunky for the dress. Unfortunate shoe failure.

• Lancel December 12, 2011 at 14:27 #

Exactly, the dress is very elegant ( i love the lace) but the shoes are a bad choice.

• Emi December 12, 2011 at 15:43 #

I agree with you. Since I really like the dress, I think that she should keep the look elegant. I also think that the shoes are too heavy. I also would have kept the bow.

• maria December 12, 2011 at 16:45 #

i also agree with the comment.

• justme December 12, 2011 at 16:55 #

Perfectly said.

• EmmaWoodhouse December 12, 2011 at 18:02 #

+1 Totally agree! I actually wouldn’t have minded black here–the pink brings down the look for me.

3. gurlygurl December 12, 2011 at 13:45 #

I adore this dress!!! It mixes all the right elements, classic cut, beautiful detail and sex appeal. As much as I love Ninas bright pumps they don’t feel quite right with this dress. I love the shoes on the model and would have liked to have seen something delicate, feminine and playful on Nina. That said the rest of her styling is simple and elegant. She definitely is a lady to watch!!

• Camellia December 12, 2011 at 19:34 #

I agree. Delicate shoes are called for; the hot pink pair is to chunky.

4. Zineb December 12, 2011 at 14:02 #

Thing started to change for her after her Emmy’s dazzling unforgettable red gown by Donna Karen

5. Linda December 12, 2011 at 14:10 #

Those shoes are horrible. A grown up dress paired with what looks like neon pink house slippers. I have to say I really don’t like this at all. The contrast is way to jarring.

6. Molly December 12, 2011 at 14:14 #

I think Nina is a great example of clothes wearing her. Its a great dress but she isn’t selling it.

7. Pèrè Lenière December 12, 2011 at 14:17 #

the shoues do not match the dress. no way not in a million years. too luminous for that black. good look from the ankles upwards, looks like VB but those shoes.really FC?

8. shap_half December 12, 2011 at 14:28 #

I really don’t like the hairstyle she selected. I know the side-hair is very popular these days, but I just find that it doesn’t suit the overall appeal of this dress. It looks too casual and haphazard.

9. Lori December 12, 2011 at 14:29 #

This looks very cheap. It looks like a dress from that store at the mall that you keep going in but you’ve never actually bought anything from, and then shoes from the store across the mall where everyone buys their plastic club shoes. Not. Hot.

10. TeaAtTwo December 12, 2011 at 14:43 #

She looks quite good but I feel the outfit has lost any sensuality that it had on the runway. A chicer updo and a non-neon/darker shade or colour of shoe would have been a lot better.

11. bm December 12, 2011 at 16:02 #

Nina, how your Emmy dress really stuck in my head untill now.

12. elle December 12, 2011 at 16:33 #

I honestly think her styling is atrocious here. Her hair, in most other pictures, looks messy for some reason and her make up is a bit off. And I’m not feeling the shoes. The dress is really chic and sexy in a very understated way and looks fabulous on her body but the Barbie-like shoes take away from that.

13. Sharon December 12, 2011 at 18:16 #

I don’t care for the changes she made at all. I liked the bow and I love the runway shoes and up-do. Nina’s version is disappointing.

14. raj23 December 12, 2011 at 21:04 #

aaaah I’ve loved this dress forever! i think the shoes are a great touch, otherwise its conservative

she’s so pretty! def one to watch!

15. Jones19 December 12, 2011 at 21:36 #

Love the dress on Nina but the pumps are a bit too jarring IMO. I would DIED had she worn pink sandals.

16. Dee December 12, 2011 at 23:15 #

I think everything about this look is amazing,. Definitely one to watch..

17. Naff December 13, 2011 at 05:29 #

I love the dress. the shoes i would say not the best choice but it looks ok, not horrible. I think there were better choices which Im sure FC will post soon for shoe swap section.

18. MEME December 19, 2011 at 12:21 #

Go in Nina,,,, Let Have!!!….

I wonder who her new stylist is???…