Julianne Moore In Lanvin – Pirelli Calendar 2012 Global Launch

Julianne Moore was in attendance at the 2012 Pirelli Calendar gala dinner in New York City on Tuesday evening.

The actress was oozing glamour wearing a Lanvin two-tone dress from the Pre-Fall 2011 collection.

A black velvet bodice and billowing sheer sleeves make for the most luxurious winter combination we can imagine.

The real beauty, though, is in the details.

One oversized shoulder gives the dress just a touch of structure to offset the otherwise very basic shape.

Industrial-like metal Lanvin cuffs add a modern element that plays well with strappy metallic Lanvin heels, but the bronze serpent chain sandals themselves are overly fussy.

What are all those things hanging off the straps?

An elegant updo and a Lanvin beige serpent minaudiere complete the look.

Claire Danes In Valentino - New York Women In Film & Television 31st Annual Muse Awards

Claire Danes In Valentino – New York Women In Film & Television 31st Annual Muse Awards

Dianna Agron In Mary Katrantzou - NYLON December/January Issue Party

Dianna Agron In Mary Katrantzou – NYLON December/January Issue Party

27 Comments

27 Responses to Julianne Moore In Lanvin – Pirelli Calendar 2012 Global Launch

1. robbie December 8, 2011 at 14:22 #

from the ankles up it is beautiful, but those shoes alber sweety less is more sometimes. the shoes completey ruin the look for me.

• maria December 8, 2011 at 16:10 #

yes. they are just too busy for the rest of the look. Love the makeup and hair, so sleek.

I feel bad because somehow there is always something that does not add up in her looks. And she is so beautiful.

• Fede December 8, 2011 at 16:56 #

2. Moxie December 8, 2011 at 14:54 #

Those shoes are hideous. They are a crime against fashion.

• EmmaWoodhouse December 8, 2011 at 15:41 #

+1 Fashion Felony!
      Plus the whole look very drab to me. The model looked more glamorous.

• Emi December 8, 2011 at 15:43 #

I totally agree, they’re so ugly and I also think it’s easy to stumble with all those things.

• dee December 8, 2011 at 15:58 #

My thoughts exactly.

• Jess2 December 9, 2011 at 14:07 #

completely agree, she needs to be brought up on charges for those awful shoes.

3. Rebecca Z December 8, 2011 at 15:02 #

I like the neckline and sleeves on her, like the idea of combining the chiffon and velvet, love the bracelets, and her hair and makeup are stunning, but the body of the dress is so shapeless that from the armpits down she just looks frumpy–at least until you get to those bizarre shoes.

4. Linda December 8, 2011 at 15:11 #

Love the whole look. The one shoulder detail is lovely and makes for a very elegant look. I like the shoes with it, but imagine she might trip over the surplus decoration.

5. Molly December 8, 2011 at 15:13 #

I’m failing to see either the beauty or the structure of this look (even though I’m trying really hard to find it!) It appears shapeless, sloppy, and dull to me. For quite a long time, Julianne Moore’s looks have not been well tailored or fitted, and in most cases I can recall, the Lanvin looks have let her down. But her hair and makeup look beautiful.

• Martin December 9, 2011 at 08:11 #

Perfectly put! I love, love, love Julianne Moore so much so it pains me to say this, but I have been experiencing a continual sense of disappointment whenever I see on the red carpet lately. This look is just plain weird, from neck to toe. It looks fussy and unfocused and lazy, and those shoes just tipped it over the edge into truly ridiculous territory. Such a shame, because she does look so radiant with that gorgeously made-up face. Fingers crossed she is able to redeem herself in the sartorial stakes very, very soon.

• manja December 9, 2011 at 10:00 #

agree with Martin on all counts

6. Gigi December 8, 2011 at 15:19 #

This is a disappointing look from the neck down. Horrible unflattering dress, the ugliest shoes in the world…she needs serious help. She is going downhill fast.

7. sasha December 8, 2011 at 15:39 #

Too young for her age. And i also think that she chooses-she styles herself-Lanvin too much. It’s not a collection for a curve and very rarely oozes sexy. The high lace collar dresses from Valentino are also weird and “BABY JANE” of her-like an odd doll. She has such a great look but makes such bad choices.

8. Parvati December 8, 2011 at 15:47 #

Disappointing. I haven’t liked any of Julianne’s looks in a while and this is no exception. The shoes, especially, are horrible. I can’t even imagine what is the purpose of these things hanging there. I wish she would wear bright colours and flattering clothes more often. I would love to see her wear something like the green Tom Ford gown she once wore.

9. marie December 8, 2011 at 15:54 #

i really dont know why she insists on wearing Lanvin when those clothes do absolutely nothing for her!

10. cele December 8, 2011 at 16:03 #

awful!!!!!!!!

• Alina December 8, 2011 at 16:48 #

ditto.

She hasn’t wowed me in a while.

11. Vicky December 8, 2011 at 18:02 #

I saw the shoes and screamed, “Stay back, beast!!”

• k December 8, 2011 at 20:51 #

EXACTLY! This looks like how my feet feel at the end of a long work day and having stomped around Costco thereafter. Double ouch.

12. noo December 8, 2011 at 18:53 #

the whole look i think is lovely! julianne is not afraid to show off the more adventurous pieces in high fashion and i think that this risk paid off!

13. Jones19 December 8, 2011 at 19:01 #

Julianne doesn’t belong in Lanvin but this dress looks okay on her. There is no excuse for those shoes.

14. Carolina December 8, 2011 at 20:26 #

This is just bad.

15. Giuseppi Giraffe December 8, 2011 at 20:46 #

I may be alone here, but I love the shoes. The clutter just works for me, especially with that busy dress.

16. ramsay December 8, 2011 at 22:25 #

So beautiful – Too bad for the shoes they feel out of place with this dress – But the dress is flawless – Would have it on the BDOTW list