05.12.11

Meryl Streep In Elie Saab – 2011 Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner

It’s not often I feature Meryl Streep; that’s because, let’s be honest, she doesn’t always make the best or the most flattering choices.

Well that changed on Saturday night on the red carpet when she attended the 2011 Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner in New York City.

The Oscar-winning actress wore an Elie Saab Fall 2011 gown.

Her deep burgundy long-sleeve overlap gown with a ruched front and padded shoulders actually does an amazing job of giving her a defined waist.

So often Meryl appears to be hiding her figure, but this gown gives her a very feminine silhouette which is why she’s not wearing a wrap, pashmina or oversized coat on this occasion.

Elie magic strikes again.

You can buy Meryl’s Elie Saab dress from Boutique1.com.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Wore Louis Vuitton Better? Rachel Bilson or Miranda Kerr

Who Wore Louis Vuitton Better? Rachel Bilson or Miranda Kerr

Jessica Alba In Thakoon - March Of Dimes' 6th Annual Celebration Of Babies Luncheon

Jessica Alba In Thakoon – March Of Dimes’ 6th Annual Celebration Of Babies Luncheon

20 Responses to Meryl Streep In Elie Saab – 2011 Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner

1. Mahima December 5, 2011 at 12:33 #

As good as she looks, I wish someone younger wore it much like how it was presented on the runway.

2. Martin December 5, 2011 at 12:38 #

Really, seriously, truly beautiful. I think this is the best that I have seen Meryl look in a long while. Her performance in The Iron Lady is sure to see her as a red carpet fixture throughout awards season, so here’s hoping she can maintain the standard she has set with this look. Gorgeous.

• Fashion Critic December 5, 2011 at 12:39 #

Fingers crossed.

• Martin December 5, 2011 at 12:50 #

She needs to focus her looks on fluidity in the form of flattering ruching and draping rather than going down the boxy, structured, stiff satiny route. I like the way in which she carries herself on the red carpet, with intelligence and integrity and grace, but some of her red carpet choices have let her down very badly in the past. Again, fingers crossed that this is the beginning of a new chapter.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 5, 2011 at 13:28 #

+2. I think her RC style usually looks like she shopped at the back room of Loehmans the night before…I’m not sure its her priority.
        Would have preferred more polished hair and a different lip hue.

• maria December 5, 2011 at 16:44 #

you are right about the hair, but i still believe it’s a very strong showing. the colour is very good on her too. It’s somewhat fitting for “older” actresses, but still womanly and sexy.

3. Jacqu December 5, 2011 at 12:46 #

She looks wonderful. Though I don’t care too much for her portrayal in iron lady (seems caricature-ish imho) I would love to see her in the red carpet for awards season. This is beautiful and subtle and (I don’t know how a still picture conveys this to me) graceful.

4. Ann December 5, 2011 at 12:51 #

Did Evan Rachel Wood wear a similar dress?

• Fashion Critic December 5, 2011 at 13:27 #

She wore the shorter version

5. Gaber December 5, 2011 at 13:24 #

I think that the dress is doing all the work here.

6. Valeria December 5, 2011 at 13:31 #

Last year, if I remember well, she went to Oscar’s in a white gown. THAT was a stunner! She looks beautiful here

• Jess2 December 5, 2011 at 14:09 #

I was thinking the same! That white dress on her was to die for! I really love this too, she does look so lovely! I do love Meryl :)

• Alina December 5, 2011 at 18:06 #

I agree 100%. That white gown remains her best to date.

• Tahj December 6, 2011 at 03:55 #

She also wore the best gray dress to ever be worn to the Oscars. When she tries and employs a stylist, she can look regal and simple.

7. Jones19 December 5, 2011 at 13:33 #

Stunning! Elie Saab sure knows how to dress a woman.

8. roxana December 5, 2011 at 13:34 #

she looks great!

9. Linda December 5, 2011 at 13:45 #

She looks beautiful. Simple elegance at its best.

10. CreoleLady December 5, 2011 at 13:46 #

The merlot color and the beautiful draping are just glorious. Nice to see a non-glittery Saab on someone new. That man sure knows how to flatter a woman’s figure. Love.

11. ramsay December 5, 2011 at 22:12 #

So beautiul – but I wish she had done without the glasses

12. Tahj December 6, 2011 at 03:53 #

Fabulous Meryl Streep.It’s true she’s had some disasters in her past but actually the past 2 years, if you’ve been paying attention, she’s stepped up her style game. She’s got a good stylist and looks great. I still love that gray dress she wore to the Oscars a few years back.