02.12.11 Premiere

Paula Patton kick-started the press circuit for the latest ‘Mission Impossible’ film, ‘Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol’, in Japan yesterday.

The actress showed off two very different looks in Tokyo.

At the photocall Paula displayed her girly side in a grey t-shirt dress with a flared skirt, paired with a black harness belt and red suede Brian Atwood booties.

This playful silhouette paired with a high pony is exceptionally charming and daring red booties give it a fun touch.

The belt is a nice, figure-flattering touch, but seems almost a bit too heavy and competes with the shoes. That necklace is a whole other story, clashing completely, but almost in a good way.

Later on, Paula ditched the sweet look for full-on sexy, wearing a shiny black Azzaro Resort 2012 jumpsuit and silver Dolce & Gabbana pumps to the film’s Tokyo premiere.

The material of the jumpsuit seems too shiny to be leather – pleather, perhaps? PVC?

We get that Paula is playing up the femme fatale role, but this is ‘Mission Impossible’, not ‘Catwoman’.

A form-fitting pair of high quality black leather pants would’ve been much sexier.

Which of Paula’s looks do you prefer?

Credit: Image.net

Carina Lau In Valentino & Angelababy In Christian Dior - 'Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea' Press Conference & Premiere

Carina Lau In Valentino & Angelababy In Christian Dior – ‘Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea’ Press Conference & Premiere

Adepero Oduye In Missoni - 'Pariah' New York Premiere

Adepero Oduye In Missoni – ‘Pariah’ New York Premiere

42 Responses to Paula Patton In Azzaro – “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” Tokyo Photocall & Premiere

1. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 2, 2011 at 13:36 #

Get thee to a stylist STAT! She looks like one of Santa’s elfs in the first get up. It’s a coin flip: both are awful.

2. june December 2, 2011 at 13:37 #

nothing in the first look works on paula at all. it’s the wrong cut and length and makes her look broad and square shaped, the belt cuts in at a really awkward place on paula and the boots make her look stumpy.

i hate jumpsuits, but the second look is a hundred times better.

• Leti December 2, 2011 at 15:01 #

+1. Skirts this full should never be worn this full!

• Jones19 December 2, 2011 at 15:54 #

Oh goodness yes the first look is terrible. The jumpsuit is far better.

3. argentina December 2, 2011 at 13:37 #

Dont like neither of the looks, bad beginning

• Alina December 2, 2011 at 15:41 #

• maria December 2, 2011 at 19:35 #

yep. nothing more to add.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 22:01 #

This was her chance to blow up in the way Freida Pinto and Rosie H W did in their movies. She blew it.

4. dunzoo December 2, 2011 at 13:41 #

maybe the second one is the less worse, but both looks are terrible ; the first one is very unflatering, she’s too athletic too wear such an outfit and the red boots makes her legs look like tree trunks. the second look is very cheap, the jumpsuit is poorly fit, but at least it is more figure and age appropriate.

5. From Russia With Love December 2, 2011 at 13:42 #

Is she stil Rachel Zoe’s client? Tell me she changed her stylist cause I won’t believe that Zoe did that to her!

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 20:01 #

RZ styles Eva Mendes, Anne Hathaway and Kate Beckensale . Paula does not have a stylist by the looks of this.

• From Russia With Love December 3, 2011 at 11:50 #

She had her as a client a couple of years ago when Paula did Precious movie and was pregnant..

6. aiyu December 2, 2011 at 13:50 #

neither, both looks cheap and tacky

7. Hannah December 2, 2011 at 13:57 #

I like neither of the looks. The first is too juvenile, it really reminds me of what Cheryl wore to whatever the stages before the live shows on the X factor are called. The skirt of the dress is a weird proportion, it is longer than most minis, but looks too short. I feel like she is trying to look about 22, and failing.
    Also, she seems to be wearing the silver and black star print dolce pumps witht he jumpsuit: http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/film-star-tom-cruise-actress-paula-patton-director-brad-news-photo/134397590

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 15:09 #

Cheryl Cole can work a Cannes red carpet. She has been on the cover of UK vogue – twice. She( and her fashion ) was the Xfactor in terms of ratings.

Paula Patton wishes she can dress and look as good as Cheryl Cole. Cheryl would not wear this.

I agree, Paula is trying to look young when clearly she is not. Why did Tom pick her?

8. Marvel December 2, 2011 at 14:01 #

Just to let you know, the shoes she is wearing with the jumpsuit are Dolce and Gabana Fall 2011

• Fashion Critic December 2, 2011 at 14:04 #

thanks

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 14:49 #

FC,

I think you are being kind on her. This is the worst dress promo tour for a A list film in history. Even Kim Kardashian and Kourtney ( the mother of baby mason ) dress better when they film their shows.

• AW December 2, 2011 at 17:23 #

Wow your issue with her sounds personal from your comments. Since when is 35 “not young”?

Secondly after Olivia Wilde destroyed every beautiful dress of this year on her ‘Cowboys and Aliens’ promo tour with bad hair and styling not to mention Katie Holmes and her snoozetastic style during the “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark” promo tour “worst dress promo tour for a A list film in history” is a gross exaggeration.

The dress and booties are a misstep and the jumpsuit is simply a matter of preference.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 19:52 #

Mission Impossible is a much bigger film than the 2 you have mentioned. This is one of Tom’s ( the biggest movie star on the planet biggest films. This is the the worst Fashion promo is history. 35 ( SHE LOOKS 45 ) is ancient in Hollywood.

When you are working with Tom Cruise in a huge film like this, there are no room for missteps. Olivia Wilde is still young and beautiful and has proven herself on the red carpet.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 19:59 #

Katie Holmes and Olivia Wilde can deliver. I have seen them in many fashion magazines. Olivia worn a lovely marchesa dress and Katie has improved since marrying tom. Paula is unproven and by the looks of this, we can see why!

9. AW December 2, 2011 at 14:36 #

I prefer the 2nd look but overall I think she’s beautiful.

She has a womanly body and the first look even with the booties that stumpify her legs highlight that she has gorgeous legs.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 19:54 #

There are better and more younger and beautiful actors and models from all over the world. Freida Pinto, Gal Gardot from fast five, etc.

• AW December 2, 2011 at 21:30 #

Comments like that are why women go under the knife and end up looking like Joan Van Ark. Of course there’s always going to be someone younger and more beautiful. Duh. it has nothing to do with fashion. We should be mature enough to dislike someone’s fashion without calling them old or ugly.

10. Lee December 2, 2011 at 14:47 #

Why did tom cruise pick her ? Out of all the beautiful, stylish, sexy models and actresses in the world…..He pick her. No star quality; no acting talent; too old and bland looking. I do not personally think she is pretty.

Even Laila Rouss from Holby City would have been a better choice. Even Olivia Palermo or any of the soap actresses I see on Brazil TV.

This film will flop

• Kayla December 6, 2011 at 19:43 #

Wow sounds like somebody is really bitter your inner high school mean girl is in full on rage. I’m sure you aren’t very pretty in person and that’s ok not everyone can be beautiful but you shouldn’t take it out on a beyond stunning woman like Paula Patton she has amazing skin and a beautiful body for having a child and she wouldn’t have been cast in the film if she wasn’t a credible and talented actress. I suggest you stop drinking all the haterade because I’m sure Paula Patton is a billion times prettier than you ever were or ever will be, and jealousy doesn’t look good on anybody especially someone trying to tear down a movie star for wearing what she wants to. Its her life and her career so lay off and really get a life and stop hating on people who have one. Your Welcome.

11. dee December 2, 2011 at 14:54 #

I would like the first look more in she wore pumps instead of booties and the 2nd look if she wore jeans or black dress pants. Overall not bad, I have seen worse.

12. Lee December 2, 2011 at 15:12 #

And the funny thing was, she went to Asia ( home of the beautiful stylish woman ) and dressed like this!

I could tell by look at Paula that this what she would deliver. Sometimes, you know who has it and who does not.

13. Kaylie December 2, 2011 at 16:18 #

Neither of these looks is doing anything for her. I’m kindof embarrassed on her behalf.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 19:57 #

It such an embarrassment to go to Asia ( Home of the Fan Bing, Freida Pinto and Sonam Kapoor ) AND make a fool of herself. This is hardly gonna turn her into a worldwide super starlet, on covers of top magazines with the makeup deal to match. She cannot act either, so this is hardly gonna win her awards too. What a waste of casting.

• gurlygurl December 2, 2011 at 21:39 #

Wow Lee… you have alot of venom for this lady. Yes these outfits are bad but I don’t think it warrants an outburst. If you want to get into comparisons I for one think Fan is strikingly beautiful but when shes not in an evening gown she often looks like a fool. I’ve seen her choose outfits even worse than these. I saw you comment on Paula Patton in a post about Isabel Lucas… it’s like comparing a twig to a rose. Isabel Lucas is a color that is not natural to a human being… only a carrot and a fruit. She looks like she’s starving, her hair is broken and brittle. Even in designer duds she looks like she’s living out of a car. So to give Paula such a hard time is pretty ridiculous. I hope she lifts her game for the rest of the tour because she is a stunner. I love her feminine healthy figure. Even in those red booties and ill fitting grey dress those are some pins!! And that smile… that woman lights up a room!

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 21:54 #

Tom Should have hired Fan Bing Bing. I do not have to like Paula or think she is pretty with a great figure. She is not pretty or has a nice body IMO. End Of. This film will not do for her what Slumdog did for the amazingly beautiful and stylish Freida Pinto, so my opinion is a majority.

Isabel Lucas is stunning, model like and chic. Paula is not.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 21:56 #

A huge role like this, and what a waste. Tom Cruise has really lost it. He should have just put Meagan Fox in the movie. At least with her it you will get sex appeal and beauty. She looks good on the red carpet in Cavalli.

• Lee December 2, 2011 at 21:59 #

I saw a picture in Asia of fan bing bing at the airport in Jeremy Scott. She looked rock star edgy and amazing. Asian women never look like fools – even on their days off. I have seen this with my own eyes.

Fan Bing Bing is FASHION right now. We ( west ) have not seen the best of what Fan can do, as many of the Asian magazines are not sold in the west. Google fan bing bing on Hong Kong Tatler November 2011. That is how you work it.

• gurlygurl December 3, 2011 at 01:25 #

Hopefully Tom will give you a job as casting director next time seeing as your opinion is a majority ;P

• Linda December 3, 2011 at 15:18 #

Lee, the vast majority of us visit this site because we are interested in fashion. One of the reasons we like this site is because FC encourages us to limit our comments to the topic of fashion as much as possible. It’s a large part of what makes this site special and keeps us coming back for more. Try to keep the focus on fashion here, please and thank you!

• Kaylie December 3, 2011 at 02:38 #

Whoa. Just to be clear, I think Paula Patton is a beautiful woman, and I have no problem with her acting. I just think she chose the wrong outfits on this occasion. Looking forward to the movie!

14. Parvati December 3, 2011 at 00:12 #

I don’t like the first look at all. I think the red booties look so out of place with the rest of the outfit.

At first, and comparing it to the photocall outfit, I liked the premiere one, but maybe it was because I initially thought it was a sequined jumpsuit. Upon realising that it isn’t, I’m not a fan of this look, either, because this material looks weird and not in a good way.

15. pipsqueak December 3, 2011 at 18:02 #

I don’t like either outfit – they looked like H&M merchandise. I think Paula is a great choice for the MI franchise. The movie is known for going after the unknown yet pretty-faced for the leading lady role so the girl doesn’t overshow Tom. I’m not sure Paula appeals to the Far East market (China, Japan, Korea), however. She’s too full-figured for a place where small-framed porcelain dolls are preferred. But Tom is still hot over there, I think.

• DivaMom December 5, 2011 at 15:37 #

FULL FIGURED?!?!?!?! Where? Please show me!!!!! I’m dying over here for you to tell me where any part of Paula being full figure. Aye, yi, yi!!! Some people! I admire Paula’s tall, athletic, gorgeous body. I know her man, the equally talented and beautiful Robin Thicke is NOT complaining.

16. Liz December 3, 2011 at 19:01 #

The look with the red boots is better even though it makes her look really thick around the middle.

17. DivaMom December 5, 2011 at 15:39 #

You people may not be a fan of this look, but the below the belt comments are coming off truly sad and pathetic. Paula is an up and comer, and so if she needs more fashion pointers, then that’s what she needs. Not over-the-top criticism and insults. She is a bubbly, fun actress, mother and wife. I for one adore her talent and welcome seeing her on more red carpets. And it’s because of her I will be paying to see Mission Impossible and not for Tom Cruise.