Cate Blanchett In Louis Vuitton – Louis Vuitton Maison Australia Opening

Cate Blanchett was on hand to help Louis Vuitton open a new boutique in Sydney, Australia earlier today.

The talented actress and object of my affection wore a Louis Vuitton Spring 2012 dress.

As much as I want to say I love this look, I just can’t.

Like Dita von Teese, Cate’s lip colour prevents her from being washed out by this white embroidered dress with a sheer overlay, but the dress itself is the issue.

The high neckline on the overlay bothers me. It feels like they forgot to cut the ‘V’ into it.

I don’t think this look is doing anything for her.

There are so many other looks I would’ve preferred from this collection for Cate. This would’ve been the last, behind the argyle romper – I kid.

White Louis Vuitton ‘Merry Go Round’ pumps, as worn by SJP earlier this week, complete her look.

Love or loathe?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kerry Washington In Sportmax - Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Kerry Washington In Sportmax – Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Lara Bingle In Louis Vuitton - Louis Vuitton Maison Australia After Party

Lara Bingle In Louis Vuitton – Louis Vuitton Maison Australia After Party

39 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Louis Vuitton – Louis Vuitton Maison Australia Opening

1. Martin December 2, 2011 at 13:05 #

Okay, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. At least Cate looked better than Sarah Jessica Parker did earlier this week in her feathered Louis Vuitton S/S 2012 ensemble. Judging by its red carpet appearances so far, I have a sneaking suspicion that this collection will be tough for any woman over 35 to pull off.

I loved the collection on the runway (or carousel, should I say) but it has fallen flat on the red carpet for me, probably because it skews so young and virginal and innocent and almost sickly. At the risk of sounding ageist, I think it needs a sparkling young ingenue to really bring it to life.

• Mary Gatto December 2, 2011 at 13:18 #

Agreed on everything! It’s like LV for teens edition…

2. Jacqu December 2, 2011 at 13:06 #

Pass and Love. She’s Cate the Great, can do no wrong.

3. robbie December 2, 2011 at 13:11 #

absolutely love it only cmplaint is the hair it looks so bland.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) December 2, 2011 at 13:30 #

+1. I might have been happier if the sheer panel at the neckline was modified or even eliminated, but I think it’s a beautiful dress.

4. Alina December 2, 2011 at 13:18 #

Loathe.

This one : http://www.style.com/slideshows/2011/fashionshows/S2012RTW/LVUITTON/RUNWAY/00350m.jpg – LOVE !

• Fashion Critic December 2, 2011 at 13:33 #

Yes, that would’ve been a better choice.

5. june December 2, 2011 at 13:19 #

i like the dress, but like you, the overlay with the high neckline is awful. they really should have modified it by cutting a v into it. it would’ve looked so much better

6. Betty Brandenburg December 2, 2011 at 13:21 #

You know how much I hate to disagree with you, FC, but I love it. Looks much better on her, too, than on the model. Cate the Great indeed.

• gurlygurl December 2, 2011 at 21:43 #

Totally agree. This is perfect for Kate. It’s light and has that “not of this world” quality that is Kate. I even like those white pumps on her… shock horror! ;)

7. lily December 2, 2011 at 13:22 #

I LOVE it tbh, she totally pulls it off.

8. Mar December 2, 2011 at 13:30 #

I love her as much as you do, but it doesn’t work for me either. I think the colour is doing nothing against her skin. Such a shame because the dress is divine.

9. Hannah December 2, 2011 at 13:48 #

I feel like while there were better choices, she could have done a lot worse. She wears this dress a lot better than I expected, although the neckline looks more suffocting on her than the model. However, however mediocre the dress,the shoes are a million times worse. This fascination with white shoes I just do not, and never will, understand.
    It’s sad because her appearances are so few and far between and she almost always looks perfect, btu this is a rare miss.

10. fromchi-town December 2, 2011 at 14:07 #

I can never say loathe and Cate Blanchett in the same sentence :) (what do you know, I just did !). This is nothing great – the overlay on the neckline should have been modified. In spite of all that she manages to look graceful!!

11. GusMex December 2, 2011 at 14:22 #

i have to confirm, this LV collection is sooo unflattering in any body around the world, is ugly

12. dee December 2, 2011 at 14:35 #

The only thing I dislike is the neckline but other than that I think she looks pretty.

13. AW December 2, 2011 at 14:43 #

This dress should be on a child. I love the white pumps, they highlight her nice legs.

I know people love her but the up close shot is not good. She needs earrings or something to distract from all of that.

14. Nat December 2, 2011 at 14:44 #

I would actually like this if it wasn’t for the sheer overlay (which really makes no sense at all).

15. Jess2 December 2, 2011 at 15:22 #

I do like this but it isn’t the best and I do agree that the sheer overlay sits too high and should have been cut down into the V. I really like the S/S 2012 collection but it is very young and virginal so I think it is going to be difficult for the more mature ladies to pul off. I would love to see Hailee Steinfeld give the collection a go, I think she would look gorgeous in some of the pieces.

16. Moxie December 2, 2011 at 16:27 #

Everything but the neckline looks lovely.

17. Emi December 2, 2011 at 16:35 #

Loathe, totally. Let’s be honest, this collection by LV is really ugly and unflattering. I hope Marc Jacobs will leave because, for me, he has nothing more to give to the brand.

18. Jones19 December 2, 2011 at 16:36 #

I love it. She looks regal in a way that no other celeb can on the red carpet.

19. Raquel December 2, 2011 at 17:15 #

The overlay do sits to high, I don’t even think it needed to be V-cut just a little lower. The dress itself is stunning and Cate looks beautiful, but somehow I think this is would suit better someone with a “quirkier” side, like Kirsten Dunst.

20. amy b.s. December 2, 2011 at 18:18 #

i actually liking everything but the neckline. however, i think she looks much better than sjp did as sjp’s dress just didn’t seem to fit her properly. even if it was designed that way, it just looked odd.

21. GGG December 2, 2011 at 18:28 #

She is stunning. I love it!

22. noo December 2, 2011 at 19:46 #

i am at a point where i can’t dislike anything she ever wears :D

23. Thirteen December 2, 2011 at 20:12 #

I love it, I think she looks so great.

24. ramsay December 2, 2011 at 23:54 #

Love it – so serene

25. Parvati December 3, 2011 at 00:08 #

I don’t hate it, but I don’t think it’s amazing, either. It’s mostly that neckline that makes the outfit look weird. If it was a regular V-neckline, I think it would have looked very pretty, because neckline aside, I think it’s a really nice and delicate dress.

26. Stephanie December 3, 2011 at 00:35 #

I love it, I think she looks ethereal as always. Not many people can pull off an all-white look but she manages to so effortlessly

27. Shruti December 3, 2011 at 03:20 #

Love.

28. Shaina December 3, 2011 at 04:08 #

Love! Even the white shoes are working for me.

29. Azur81 December 3, 2011 at 07:28 #

i like this look

30. Manuel December 3, 2011 at 12:35 #

I love it. Its not her best and a very clean look

She can do no wrong for me, Im afraid ;)

31. Liz December 3, 2011 at 19:02 #

She looks beautiful!

32. Madison Chua December 4, 2011 at 10:09 #

Stunning! Love it. She’s back!

33. Amanda December 4, 2011 at 17:28 #

I love it. If anything is ever slightly not conventional in some way, people don’t like it. It’s so great that she always does her thing

34. honey December 5, 2011 at 02:50 #

oh no white heels! *repeats Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong,Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong, Queen Cate can do no wrong………* It’s not helping!! :(

35. bianca December 13, 2011 at 23:34 #

boooooring!but i’m still loving this person so much, look at her eyes, her facial expression.she’s a beauty.those pumps are for grannies,though