01.12.11 Beauty, Hair

Beauty Trend Spotting: Lacquered ‘n Loose

We’re all for laissez-faire hair. Looks like Petra Nemcova and Kate Beckinsale are too, as they’ve recently given the same ‘new age mullet’ look a go. (Say it with us—business in the front, paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty in the back!)

Seen at all over the Spring 2012 runways—Giambattista Valli, Proenza Schouler, Felder Felder, BCBG, and Elie Saab (pictured below)—catwalk hairstylists like Guido Palau, Eugene Souleiman, and Orlando Pita made ‘hat hair’ look haute by sending half-lacquered, half-loose locks down the runway.

We love the ‘shiny at the top, loose in the back’ look for two reasons:

1. It’s a glamorous style that real women can easily recreate, and 2. It’s perfect for breathing new life into day-old curls.

To get the look, brush curls into loose waves. Insert a deep diagonal off-center part, and comb your strands back, stopping at the nape of your neck. Generously palm medium hold gel over your crown, starting at your hairline, ceasing just above your nape. Finish by inserting a few bobby pins behind both ears if you’d like to create a clear line of demarcation.

Denman Paddle Brush, $11.95 at Folica.comBb. Gel, $25 at BumbleAndBumble.com | Cleopatra Extra Fine Tooth Rattail Comb, $3.95 at Amazon.com —India-Jewel Jackson

Wish List Wednesday

Wish List Wednesday

Fergie's Reiss Melodie Twin Pocket Blazer, Fergie Kitana T-Strap Sandals & Joe's Jeans

Fergie’s Reiss Melodie Twin Pocket Blazer, Fergie Kitana T-Strap Sandals & Joe’s Jeans

19 Responses to Beauty Trend Spotting: Lacquered ‘n Loose

1. Sabrina December 1, 2011 at 23:21 #

It looks like the back is not their real hair? With Kate I thought they were extensions.
    Plus, in real life, it’ll easily look like you haven’t washed your hair. Because greasy hair starts on top.

• Ylenia Castellano December 2, 2011 at 09:23 #

+1 In Kate Beckinsale´s real life too… Her hair in that photograph is pure grease!

• India-Jewel December 2, 2011 at 14:00 #

They very well may be wearing extensions here.

2. TeaAtTwo December 1, 2011 at 23:37 #

A cool look but so easy to veer into ‘greasy hair’ look.

• India-Jewel December 2, 2011 at 14:01 #

But isn’t it great that you can reinvent 3-day greasy hair into a look that’s in style? Lemons to lemonade!

3. jason @ belts and buckles December 2, 2011 at 00:01 #

The Mullet?

Please God! No! Deliver us from this evil again! Next it will be puffball skirts and legwarmers! Noooooo!

• India-Jewel December 2, 2011 at 14:02 #

Hahahahaha. And banana clips and fanny packs and scrunchy curls and thin roller bangs!

4. Grace December 2, 2011 at 02:15 #

I fear that this look could turn too Aileen Wuornos very quickly.

• India-Jewel December 2, 2011 at 14:23 #

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! True, but I imagine that hairdo would look a lot more glamorous on a categorically prettier woman. I think risky looks are better suited for the genetically blessed. (I’m sure I’ll get chewed out for this one, but I’m sticking with my opinion!)

• Linda December 3, 2011 at 15:46 #

LOL!

5. kath December 2, 2011 at 03:57 #

I appreciate the tips India-Jewel (you always do a fantastic job :)) and I understand this is the newest trend but I really think (just mu opinion of course) that this is a horrible look to aspire to. First regrowth (aka: “ombre hair”) was the rage, and now this horrible greasy-looking “lacquered” trend. I will never understand why anyone would spend time and money trying to look unkempt and disheveled.

• India-Jewel December 2, 2011 at 14:20 #

Rich hipsters do it all the time with fashion–that’s why Urban Outfitters was so very popular for so long. (Who else would pay upwards of $60 for a Spiderman t-shirt?!) The ‘I’m-really-rich-but-I-like-to-look-poor-look’ has migrated above the neck, that’s all.

Also, historically fashion and beauty has mirrored the current state of the economy. When the chips are down, people like to switch up their look in the most economical way possible; i.e. cutting bangs, buying a new lipstick color, or growing out their roots–which is why ombre became en vogue in 08/09.

And glad you like the posts! xo

6. Joy December 2, 2011 at 05:49 #

Sorry, but I could not dislike this look more.

7. bee7 December 2, 2011 at 05:56 #

love it! but i dont think it is practical to wear this hairstyle. imagine what humidity could have done to it

8. Alina December 2, 2011 at 06:23 #

I don’t like this hairstyle. As everyone said , it looks like greasy hair.

9. Iris December 2, 2011 at 09:47 #

that is exactly what my hair looks like if i go three days without a wash :|

• Mary Gatto December 2, 2011 at 10:56 #

+ all of us! It’s just an awful look! It looks all greasy on the top and super dry on the bottom. Why would anyone want to look like this???

10. Shaina December 3, 2011 at 04:01 #

I really like this look, when done right.

11. Simone January 12, 2012 at 09:27 #

I’m not sure what I think of this hair trend.. it does look like they havent washed their hair in a few days eww but maybe its a trend that will grow on me?