29.11.11

Shailene Woodley was the latest celeb to take on the masculine trend on the red carpet at the 21st Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards in New York City last night.

The young actress donned a suit by Dolce & Gabbana, who also recently outfitted Penelope Cruz in a similar black suit.

I really like this look on Shailene, but something is missing.

A black ribbon bow tie à la Diane Kruger or maybe a white dress shirt with black buttons would’ve worked.

Either way this look is lacking something.

Grey pointy pumps and a side swept fishtail plait completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Chloe Moretz In Emilio Pucci - 'Hugo' 3D Royal Film Performance

Chloe Moretz In Emilio Pucci – ‘Hugo’ 3D Royal Film Performance

London Sample Sales

London Sample Sales

20 Responses to Shailene Woodley In Dolce & Gabbana – 21st Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards

1. Emalie November 29, 2011 at 16:38 #

She looks pretty good but the look needs an injection of color.

She’s pulling a Leighton Meester at the event. Leighton wore a suit to last year’s Gotham awards.

2. Jones19 November 29, 2011 at 16:58 #

Ahh her hair is almost identical to mine when I graduated last summer…anyway I’m liking this suit on her but you’re right FC, something is missing. The white shirt is just so expected, wish she would have gone another route.

3. Emmeline November 29, 2011 at 17:01 #

The white shirt buttoned to the top makes her look like a waiter. I agree that I wish she’d added something to it, or even just unbuttoned it some.

She also could have tried going with something completely different, like a simple black tank or a blouse to add a bit of color.

4. mj November 29, 2011 at 17:02 #

maybe if she had left the top button unbuttoned? she look a little less stuffy and covered up

5. Hipster stores November 29, 2011 at 17:02 #

Cool suit , but I was never a fan of pointy shoes :)

6. Nat39 November 29, 2011 at 17:11 #

This isn`t working for her, something is def. missing, an undone top button at least, quite unflatttering fit , the pants esp. , and while the braid is supposed to add a girly touch to this masculine look, it looks out of place instead.

7. Hannah November 29, 2011 at 17:41 #

My big issue is that th etop half is all wrong. it makes her proportions way off balance, an dit makes her look like she has a long, wide torso and short legs. The jcket and shirt are also so very manly. Had a few buttons been undone, the sleeves been a bit logner, the jacket tailored better and the button a few inches higher, with a ponytail to mak eher neck look longer, it would have been a lot better.

8. Tahj November 29, 2011 at 19:12 #

The Diane Keaton circa 70′s look is so hot right now, isn’t it?

• gurlygurl November 30, 2011 at 06:19 #

Diane did it oh so well though ;)

9. mikeijames November 30, 2011 at 05:16 #

what’s missing and/or lacking comes in the tailoring.of those pants. look at evan rachel wood, penelope cruz, or beyonce knowles and one will see that those suits have to get cut within an inch of their life to accentuate their feminine curves in this masculine look.

• andrea November 30, 2011 at 21:19 #

You are right, they are too baggy in the thigh and the tapered leg does not balance the look well. The shoes are horrific. The look is just overall very dull and drab.

10. gurlygurl November 30, 2011 at 06:18 #

Something is definitey wrong here. By all accounts a simple black suit and white shirt should work but this doesn’t. I agree with some other posters the proportions are off. The jacket should have been shorter or left open so as to show the waist… the length cuts her off in an awkward spot. I’m not a fan of the uptight white shirt or pointy punps either.

11. dave November 30, 2011 at 06:56 #

I think it’s the fit, it doesn’t fit her properly, she looks like she has this giant shoulder, makes her head looks really tiny, and the shoes just bother me.

12. honey November 30, 2011 at 07:48 #

I think she should throw in a dash of confidence and a sexy swag…and maybe more rouge on her lips! haha!

13. Emi November 30, 2011 at 09:10 #

FC, i think that something is missing, too. Maybe the shirt makes the looks too severe, a girlie shirt would have been better. I like male outfits, but they’re difficult to pull off without a touch of femininity which lacks here, also because of the fit of the suit, in my opinion. The fit of Penelope’s jacket was better.

14. Alina November 30, 2011 at 10:03 #

Maybe if the shirt had been pink, the look would have been more fun and young. With that and her hair in a ponytail, this would have been something else.

15. TeaAtTwo November 30, 2011 at 10:51 #

A better should fit is my only real issue with the look and that she’s not really selling the look.

16. Jess2 November 30, 2011 at 14:27 #

I agree that something is missing, I would have preferred a pop of colour from a blouse or unbuttoned the shirt a bit and added a necklace. I’m not really loving the shoes.