29.11.11

Kate Hudson In Stella McCartney – 2011 British Fashion Awards

When Kate Hudson arrived on stage at the Savoy Hotel in London wearing a Stella McCartney Spring 2012 gown at the 2011 British Fashion Awards to present the Red Carpet Award, it was a clear indication of who the winner would be.

Before she handed out the award she told us a story about how they first met when Stella dressed her for the 2001 Oscars, which she read from her iPhone while wearing glasses.

She recalled, “Stella dressed me for my first red carpet event in 2001 for the Academy Awards. It was my first and only nomination. I was 21 years old and to have Stella McCartney dressing me – well, I felt like the hippest, coolest girl in the world. Up until the last minute Stella was still sewing the hem. I woke up the next morning, turned on the television to find out I was on every Worst Dressed list. So I called Stella and we just laughed our arses off and she said to me, “Look babe, it was the hem wasn’t it?”

She then went on to say that she will wear the dress again, but she will make a better hair choice.

Kate has no fear of appearing on any worst dressed list this time because her body, despite giving birth to Bingham five months ago, looked amazing in her black one-shoulder gown with an embroidered detail and mesh panel.

She wore her blonde hair in a top knot and opted for dewy makeup.

Many of you have been very critical of Stella McCartney’s Spring 2012 collection.

What do you think of Kate’s custom dress?

Credit: Getty

Daisy Lowe In Erdem - British Fashion Awards 2013

Daisy Lowe In Erdem – British Fashion Awards 2013

Alexa Chung In Christopher Kane - 2011 British Fashion Awards

Alexa Chung In Christopher Kane – 2011 British Fashion Awards

27 Responses to Kate Hudson In Stella McCartney – 2011 British Fashion Awards

1. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) November 29, 2011 at 12:39 #

Underwhelmed.

• Martin November 29, 2011 at 12:46 #

Totally. For me it is not the dress and it is not the collection that is the issue – it is the wearer that is the problem in this instance. Seeing Kate Hudson in this gown is no more exciting than seeing it on a coat hanger. Devoid of life, devoid of personality, devoid of any kind of real energy. Nothing really going on here.

• Hannah November 29, 2011 at 17:52 #

Yes I agree, teh dress is beutiful, but for once Kate is just blah, bt I don’t think it suited her too much to begin with either way.

• Linda November 29, 2011 at 15:09 #

Yeah, I have to agree.

2. Carolina November 29, 2011 at 12:45 #

I’ll ditto that. Her choices all have seemed too harsh for her coloring – and this one seems to suit a younger woman, for some reason – or perhaps it’s the hair & makeup, which are pretty bad.

3. robbie November 29, 2011 at 12:47 #

love the dress but her hair looks as if she just got up and was in a rush.

4. Jones19 November 29, 2011 at 12:48 #

She looks lovely but nothing to write home about. Love the story though hah.

5. Laura November 29, 2011 at 12:54 #

Love it I think she looks fresh and modern

• Nat39 November 29, 2011 at 17:39 #

While I`m not liking the dress itself (Stella should go away for a while to find her inspiration), Kate is totally pulling it off, fresh and modern (agree), she makes this subpar gown happen.

6. argentina November 29, 2011 at 12:55 #

She is gorgeous but the dress kills her badly

7. bm November 29, 2011 at 13:08 #

Black isn’t her colour. and she never made black dress interesting.

8. Parvati November 29, 2011 at 13:14 #

She looks gorgeous, in my opinion. The dress is much simpler compared to the other dresses we’ve seen on Nicole Kidman and Gwyneth Paltrow, but it’s really beautiful and Kate Hudson pulls it off perfectly.

By the way, I’d really like to see her wear the dress of the 2001 Oscars again! :)

9. arwa November 29, 2011 at 13:24 #

For me I think she looks beautiful … And I think , she looks younger and more fresh than that look when she attended the oscar 10 years ago

10. D November 29, 2011 at 13:28 #

love this look but i think she should op a different make up!!!

11. dee November 29, 2011 at 14:50 #

I don’t like it. It really isn’t doing anything for her.

12. Alina November 29, 2011 at 14:55 #

It reminds me of the Versace Fall 2011 collection.

13. Rebecca Z November 29, 2011 at 15:03 #

I like this dress and I think it looks good on Kate–tho I agree that black is not her b est color. I am imagining this in a cobalt blue…I also think the mesh lining could have been a better match with Kate’s skin color, given that it is a custom gown.

14. maria November 29, 2011 at 16:04 #

it’s okay. nothing to write home about.

15. Jess2 November 29, 2011 at 17:31 #

Kate’s body looks great having given birth not long ago and in that regard the dress looks great on her body but Kate is one of few that I don’t like black on. I do like the dress, it is one of the better pieces from the spring 2012 collection but not impressed with the overall look unfortunately

16. justme November 29, 2011 at 17:46 #

The story is very cute but I have to agree with the rest. I’m unimpressed by the gown. Kate looks great from the neck up though, love the bun.

17. mandy November 30, 2011 at 05:37 #

Sensational !!!!!!

18. christine November 30, 2011 at 08:54 #

this dress is so sexy yet chic, it looks wonderful on her body but i wish her hair was different or that she had some earrings on

19. Maurice DeWitt November 30, 2011 at 11:17 #

It is not the dress the dress is beautiful but the person wearing it . Its not the hem its the hairdo and face makeup. You can put the most beautiful dress on a ugly woman and make a ugly dress or vice versa put a beautiful womean in a ugly dress and make a beautiful dress

20. Lisa November 30, 2011 at 12:32 #

I believe the dress looks fabalous. She wears it well. However I do believe it would have looked nicer in another color also and her hair and makeup could have used some help. But girls, just thiink, looking this good just after having a second child just 5 months ago. I since a little jelousy is your words. And, guys please, give me a break!

21. Felicia November 30, 2011 at 13:40 #

1) I am not, nor will I ever be a fan of the top-knot hair. I just can’t stand it
    2) Stella McCartney is still an amazing designer who makes amazing clothes, but for some reason they just they land on the wrong people. This dress loses it’s “WOW” factor on Kate.

22. terry logue November 30, 2011 at 16:07 #

augh Put on a bra Not that wonderful If Kate stopped trying to look like Goldy she might get somewhere

23. Jess November 30, 2011 at 17:44 #

blah, black is not her colour.
    plus, she totally stole my future husband