Nicki Minaj In Oscar de la Renta – 2011 American Music Awards

Nicki Minaj was spotted in the press room at the 2011 American Music Award which were held at the Nokia Theatre LA Live in California last night.

The singer is the first celebrity to wear a look from the Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 collection. Yes, you read that right.

I’m not surprised considering the singer was front row at the designer’s show back in September.

The two-time winner looked stunning wearing an emerald silk-taffeta gown with black battenburg lace and broderie anglaise bodice.

I know many of you aren’t fans of the mullet dress or Nicki’s sense of style, but I think she surprisingly pulls off this glamorous look with some style. I can’t fault her.

The rise-and-fall hemline allows her Alexander McQueen armour wedge sandal to share the spotlight.

Pink spiral curls with a matching matte lip colour completed her look.

You can buy Nicki’s Alexander McQueen shoes from AlexanderMcQueen.com.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Heidi Klum In Giles - 2011 American Music Awards

Heidi Klum In Giles – 2011 American Music Awards

Ellie Goulding In Christopher Kane - 2011 American Music Awards

Ellie Goulding In Christopher Kane – 2011 American Music Awards

39 Responses to Nicki Minaj In Oscar de la Renta – 2011 American Music Awards

1. Isa November 21, 2011 at 11:26 #

I LOVEEE THIS LOOK! She slooks stunning!!! For the first time she doesn’t look like a bizarre doll. or whatever..

• dee November 21, 2011 at 14:32 #

I agree. I love everything about this look.

• dee November 21, 2011 at 14:34 #

On second thought, I don’t like how the bottom part is wrinkled and messy looking.

2. Cara November 21, 2011 at 11:26 #

i love this look. I think its quirky but not too over the top or outrageous. so far its my BDOTW…but it is only monday!

3. Mario November 21, 2011 at 11:29 #

I never thought I’d see the day when I would like such a tacky dress on such a tacky person. I guess tackiness squared turns into gorgeousness!

• Linda November 21, 2011 at 13:36 #

ha ha

• Jones19 November 21, 2011 at 14:26 #

LOL ITA. It’s tacky overload but somehow it works.

• justme November 21, 2011 at 17:12 #

dying @ tackiness squared

4. Nat November 21, 2011 at 11:29 #

This is probably the least eccentric look she ever wore on the red carpet…
    However, I’m not a fan of the lower part of this gown, as the taffetta skirt looks quite messy.

5. Tania November 21, 2011 at 11:33 #

I can’t fault her either she looks good, amazing in fact!

6. june November 21, 2011 at 11:36 #

i hate mullet dresses, but nicki looks amazing. i love her shoe choice — they’re a hundred times better than the shoes on the model — nicki is working every inch of this dress

• Jen November 21, 2011 at 12:54 #

That’s exactly what I was going to say. I hate mullet dresses and yet I really like this. Maybe because the mullet isn’t too severe – the front is still pretty long. She looks great.

7. Martin November 21, 2011 at 11:42 #

I didn’t particularly like this collection when it was presented on the runway and the looks with the billowing taffeta skirts were probably my least favourite looks in the show. I think de la Renta was trying to create something which was effortlessly dramatic, but they just came off looking messy and crumpled and a little weird to me. Having said that though, there is something very intriguing about Nicky Minaj in this ensemble. I can’t quite decide whether I hate it or I love it. What I can say, however, is that she definitely wears it better than the model. I’m on the fence on this one.

8. eimearoconnor November 21, 2011 at 11:48 #

Amazing amazing amazing, what a quirky way to wear a classic deisgner… shows how naturally gorgeous she is!

9. Nicki November 21, 2011 at 11:50 #

I absolutely adore this look! I’ve been waiting for this gown to be worn on the red carpet and I never thought it would be nicki minaj, but she looks amazing. Definitely one of my favorite looks of hers, and those McQueen shoes are to die for!

10. mikeijames November 21, 2011 at 11:53 #

i’m impressed she had this dress in her. not only do i find myself applauding the choice of that beautiful oscar gown, but i cannot get over the fact that she has the confidence and poise to really pull it off without getting lost in the look. the alexander mcqueen shoes finish off the look with utter perfection.

11. Felicia November 21, 2011 at 11:58 #

Omg! I LOVE the dress and the shoes!! But the hair just ruined it! She should have left the candy-floss at home and worn a more natural looking wig, maybe a black one….

• Linda November 21, 2011 at 13:38 #

That’s a good idea, maybe a chin length poker straight black one. I think it’s the pink curly hair that’s stopping me from liking this look too much.

12. CreoleLady November 21, 2011 at 12:11 #

WOW. And for once in a good way, lol. I absolutely love everything, h2t. WORK.

13. robbie November 21, 2011 at 12:25 #

for once she looks lady like, well lady like for her standards. the shoes are lovely but the platform completely ruins it for me.

14. Ade November 21, 2011 at 12:33 #

She looks beautiful, I do wish she wore her black bob wig instead though. I cannot wait to read the “trashy” or “ghetto” comments considering it’s neither.

15. Mol November 21, 2011 at 12:41 #

She looks great, but she had alot of trouble walking in those McQueen shoes, even with someone to hang onto – took her forever to reach the podium…..

16. Jess November 21, 2011 at 12:49 #

oh god I kind of love it, even though I normally can’t stand this woman, or mullet dresses. The rise and fall hemline is quite subtle though, and perfect for showcasing those amazing shoes. Still on the fence about the choker though.

17. Emi November 21, 2011 at 13:07 #

I don’t like the gown itself, but I never like Nicky Minaj, she’s the opposite of sexy and classy.

18. oksana November 21, 2011 at 13:34 #

wowwwwwwwwwww, it looks so good on minaj, first time i seriously liked her, plus dress doesnt look that awesome on runway but on minaj definitely different story. i liked it. and i liked it even more because this is something not very my style and she sold it to me. BRAVO. i am sure it is not very easy to use that hair color with this look, and she even made that to. Minaj you are Awesome!!

19. oksana November 21, 2011 at 13:35 #

i start to fall in love with dress after her, look at her pose, such confident.

20. Carol November 21, 2011 at 13:42 #

I think she looks a far sight better than usual – that gown needed someone with her chutzpah and presence. And while the shoes are stunning, did anyone else notice that she needed two handlers to get across the stage to accept her award and still almost fell? Gorgeous shoes aren’t worth much if they don’t do their job. And walking in them is pretty much necessary.

21. Hannah November 21, 2011 at 13:52 #

I adore all that action south of the collar bone but the choker and the “hair” ruin what could have been a bdoty worthy look. the shoes are perfection.

22. JG November 21, 2011 at 14:13 #

Best she has ever looked. Hands down.

23. fromchi-town November 21, 2011 at 14:54 #

I love this look. Definitely the best she has ever looked. It somehow works, though it is hard to explain why.

24. Rebecca Z November 21, 2011 at 15:28 #

She looks cute–the gown looks great on her–it is costumish, after all. The shoes look great from the front, but a broken ankle waiting to happen with no heel. Why do women put themselves at risk this way?

25. Shaina November 21, 2011 at 16:44 #

LOVE IT! This is pure Nicki, she is not afraid to take risks and it really pays off. She really seemed to struggle walking in these at the show though. Too bad, the shoes are hot!

26. Giuseppi Giraffe November 21, 2011 at 17:25 #

I love everything here except the pink wig- she’s wearing that dress so well and the shoes are perfect. Love this!

27. TeaAtTwo November 21, 2011 at 17:25 #

Minus the choker I think she looks great. She manages to keep the drama of the dress.It would be interesting to see how someone more elegant such as Anne Hathaway carried this dress off.

28. noo November 21, 2011 at 17:50 #

this is a gorgeous look :D it sorta reminds me of rihanna’s full skirt phase last year!

29. NooG November 21, 2011 at 18:17 #

BDOTW please. Even though I loathe her pink hair, it’s styled well.

30. Kyriaki-Cyprus November 21, 2011 at 20:00 #

This is the first time she caught my attention. I like it.

31. Miguel November 22, 2011 at 05:56 #

I think this is the best she’s ever looked, not only because she’s not wearing like 10 clothes and yet is so nicki and she sells it completely ! she was one of the last night’s best dressed