Hailee Steinfeld was also in attendance at Tuesday night’s Elle dinner in LA.

The young actress wore a black lazar-cut Chloë Sevigny for Opening Ceremony dress from the Resort 2012 collection.

The pairing of original cool-girl style star, Chloë Sevigny, and Hailee, who is leading the new-wave of stylish young actresses, is a match made in it-girl heaven.

The intricate designs in the leather garment have a great girly-meets-punk feel, while still maintaining some maturity.

However, with such a stand-out dress, we are overloaded with even more ‘notice-me’ styling.

We are fine with the printed jacket and peep-toe booties, but those bright-red tights absolutely ruin what could have been a great moment.

If she needed tights for coverage under the short skirt, black would have worked just fine, or at the very least, a maroon-red to match the jacket.

A severe fishtail braid and natural makeup complete the look.

Edgy or overcooked?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Michael Kors Robertson Boulevard Boutique Opening

Michael Kors Robertson Boulevard Boutique Opening

In Katie Holmes's Closet - Inhabit Textured Alpaca and Silk-Blend Sweater

In Katie Holmes’s Closet – Inhabit Textured Alpaca and Silk-Blend Sweater

33 Responses to Hailee Steinfeld in Chloë Sevigny for Opening Ceremony – Tod’s & Elle’s December Issue Dinner

1. eimearoconnor November 17, 2011 at 16:04 #

She looks like a grungy elf.

2. Jones19 November 17, 2011 at 16:11 #

Way overcooked. She looks twice her age.

3. AW November 17, 2011 at 16:12 #

Overcooked. This girl is too young to look like an awful stylist vomited all over her.

Bring back the fresh, easy Hailee. I don’t like this manufactured, contrived styling.

4. Liz November 17, 2011 at 16:13 #

Overcooked. She’s starting to try too hard now. I liked her better when she kept it more natural. She definitely shouldn’t have worn the red tights.

• Parvati November 17, 2011 at 21:58 #

I agree.

5. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) November 17, 2011 at 16:16 #

Overcooked! Love the dress. Hate the rest.

The makeup looks strong not natural to me, FC.

• Barbs November 19, 2011 at 15:57 #

I agree. For me the makeup is also overcooked like everything ins this look.

6. robbie November 17, 2011 at 16:24 #

HOT MESS!

7. AK November 17, 2011 at 16:30 #

anyone knows the name of the model?

8. Fee November 17, 2011 at 16:36 #

I actually think with the tights (ok maybe a better colour) and without the jacket this would be a fun, teenage look. I like seeing the colour through the skirt.

Mainly I’m just glad the length is letting Hailee keep her decency as that model definitely isn’t with those cut-outs all the way to there!

9. La Zitella Acida November 17, 2011 at 16:40 #

Toooooooo much!
    Poor darling, she’s only 14 years old. Where’s her mummy?

• Rebecca Z November 17, 2011 at 17:28 #

Amen

10. Rebecca Z November 17, 2011 at 16:45 #

I think the dress is too old for her, personally, but if she was going to wear it tights were a good idea–just the wrong color as FC pointed out.

11. Emmeline November 17, 2011 at 16:46 #

Overcooked.

This is a disaster. She’s trying to pull off way too many things at once.

12. dee November 17, 2011 at 17:10 #

Overcooked. This is bad.

13. Hannah November 17, 2011 at 17:10 #

This is an awful look. I adore her, but recently I have hated her stylist. Ether she changed from awards season, or the stylist isn’t as good as she was in awards season, ro hailee is having mor esay in what she wears (don’t let it be so!). She looks so much better in cleaner, more youthful clothes, less dark colours, and with much simpler styling. Also, she is so beautiful and has such a glwo that makeup just spoils her face for me.

14. Melrose November 17, 2011 at 17:22 #

Way overcooked.

At this point, it’s basically a stylist dressing up a child, and sending the child to an event for photos.

15. Nat39 November 17, 2011 at 17:30 #

Overcooked for sure but most importantly very wrong look for her. Someone edgier with a quirky personality could`ve totally pulled it off even the “overcooked” way it is.

16. Ylenia Castellano November 17, 2011 at 17:31 #

Overcooked on anyone but a teenager.

So often young people dress older than their age and don´t enjoy the many fashion risks they can take and get away with… I could believe she went sylist-less on this occassion and I like that.

What keeps being a recurring problem for me is her make up. Hailee is beautiful in a freshly unconventional way. This pretend ‘barely there’ heavy make up, kills me. I rather it quite literally wasn´t there or that they made a point of her wearing it.

• Ylenia Castellano November 17, 2011 at 17:37 #

Also I have just seen more pictures from the night. Without the jacket, the black and red combo looks amazing.

17. Nat November 17, 2011 at 17:37 #

I remember the first times I saw this girl, during last year’s awards season, and “falling in love” with her, because she was so cute, fresh and adorable. And she always looked so (as a girl her age should), even if she was wearing important designers dresses.
    Remember the orange/pink/black Prada dress?
    They should fire whoever is making her try so hard/looking so much older right now, and go back to that kind of style.

18. Gaber November 17, 2011 at 18:13 #

I like how she tried to make the most out of an bad situation.
    Or dress in this case.

19. maria November 17, 2011 at 18:29 #

while i agree that she is trying to hard i love the braid. She has wonderful hair and actually works with it. If i had hair like that i would ponytail, braid, twist and turn it from dust till dawn.

20. andrea November 17, 2011 at 18:35 #

Total overkill. The pattern on the jacket clashes with the perforated pattern on the dress, and don’t even get me started on those bright red tights or those leg-truncating peeptoe boots. Thumbs down.

21. Anna November 17, 2011 at 21:46 #

overcooked

22. Emi November 17, 2011 at 22:48 #

Very overcooked.

23. gurlygurl November 17, 2011 at 22:50 #

Overcooked… it looks like she’s trying too hard and the outfit looks like it’s been overthought as well and it still doesn’t work. Some things are meant to be kept simple and this dress is one of them. She should have opted for a plain blazer and if she insisted on those colored stockings closed toe boots… preferably army boots would have been my call to keep it young and rocky.

24. pritha November 18, 2011 at 09:32 #

just too much going on. Confusion! Confusion!

25. Jess2 November 18, 2011 at 10:16 #

Overcooked indeed, I am not liking this much at all. The red tights don’t work here and with the peep toe akle boot with the red sticking out is no good. Keep the boots and dress and maybe even the jacket and ditch the tights

26. Ingrid November 18, 2011 at 19:13 #

hot mess, so much potential here but not working together

27. Sabrina November 19, 2011 at 15:49 #

Very overcooked. What is up with her stylists? They are two females who don’t know what they are doing.

28. Jess November 19, 2011 at 16:01 #

I’d rather she took away the jacket than the tights, I like the red contrast visible through the cut-outs.

29. smolls November 19, 2011 at 21:43 #

I think she’s a young girl having fun with fashion…what’s wrong with that?! Maybe there’s a lot going on but she’s not a grown woman…she’s basically still a child. I like it & think it’s quite age appropriate…maybe a little heavy on the make-up as someone else suggested but overall a fun look.