Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – 2011 Governors Awards Dinner

Octavia Spencer attended the 2011 Governors Awards dinner in LA on Saturday night.

The breakout star of ‘The Help’ wore a Tadashi Shoji Fall 2011 black embroidered lace gown with bateau neckline.

While the unique lace pattern is beautiful and the neckline extremely flattering, the look falls apart in the styling.

The belt could be trimmed and better proportioned to the bustline, as seen on the runway, while the shawl should be ditched entirely.

It may be cliché, but a pop of colour (bangles! lipstick! A clutch!) might have saved this ensemble from looking so funeral procession appropriate.

Credit: Tadashi Shoji & Getty

Kristen Stewart In J. Mendel - ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1’ LA Premiere

Kristen Stewart In J. Mendel – ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1’ LA Premiere

Victoria Beckham In Victoria Beckham - 2011 WWD Apparel & Retail CEO Summit

Victoria Beckham In Victoria Beckham – 2011 WWD Apparel & Retail CEO Summit

12 Responses to Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – 2011 Governors Awards Dinner

1. robbie November 15, 2011 at 10:26 #

dont like this dress at all. the neckline is pretty on her but the rest is a mess.

2. Lara November 15, 2011 at 11:49 #

Agree with your assessment. It had potential to flatter, and in the end doesn’t look awful, but it could have really shone.

3. JJovana November 15, 2011 at 14:09 #

I think she looks lovely. Its flattering, glamorous and beautiful.

• yourockmyworld November 16, 2011 at 20:43 #

4. AW November 15, 2011 at 14:16 #

I like this a lot. I think better posture could’ve saved it from being kind of meh.

5. maria November 15, 2011 at 15:51 #

i agree about the pop of colour and maybe take away the shawl (i suppose she might be a bit self concious about her arms (i know i am), but i do have to say that for a larger woman she looks really good and the cut is extremely flattering.

6. Lee November 15, 2011 at 16:00 #

Oh dear. She looks so awkward.

7. CR November 15, 2011 at 16:52 #

I think she looks great just beautiful. It’s hard to find things that flatter a fuller figure. Now she just needs a dose of attitude and she’ll be working the red carpets!

8. Shaina November 16, 2011 at 01:37 #

I don’t like this. I really want to jump into the picture and grab the shawl off of her! I don’t think her fuller figure is an excuse for her poor styling either.

9. Raquel November 16, 2011 at 01:53 #

I think that for someone who is a newbie on the red carpet she looks great. Endless more seasoned stars have done much much worse. The hair is good, the makeup lacks some color but is far from being the worst I have seen, and while I agree that the best should have been adjusted to her fuller fugure, I like the averall result is great. I don’t mind the shawl that much, even though I agree it’s distracting.

The problem here, IMO, is the posture, as someone else mentioned.