Nicole Kidman In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture – 2011 CMA Awards

Nicole Kidman once again accompanied her husband Keith Urban on the red carpet at the 2011 CMA Awards in Nashville, Tennessee last night.

The actress looked sensational wearing a Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2011 Couture gown.

Her gunmetal-grey beaded column gown was a great choice for Nicole with her slender, statuesque frame, but I’m left perplexed by the styling.

Whilst the matching clutch poses no problems, together the silver Fred Leighton floral choker and black pointy pumps do.

Surely silver or gunmetal-grey strappy sandals would’ve been more appropriate with that choker and her gown?

My eyes keep darting between the choker and the pumps in utter confusion.

Nicole never has problems in the shoe department, as she’s a fan of Pierre Hardy, so this makes her choice all the more confusing.

Her hair has vastly improved on this occasion. She has either had a relaxer or Brazilian blow-out since Wednesday night as her tresses are less frizzy and more smoothed out.

I guess she read your comments.

Pink lippy and metallic eye shadow completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Carrie Underwood In Ralph & Russo Couture - 2013 CMA Awards

Carrie Underwood In Ralph & Russo Couture – 2013 CMA Awards

Carrie Underwood In Reem Acra - 2011 CMA Awards

Carrie Underwood In Reem Acra – 2011 CMA Awards

24 Responses to Nicole Kidman In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture – 2011 CMA Awards

1. Fiona November 10, 2011 at 09:49 #

I am in total agreement FC, whilst I love the gown and Nicole always looks amazing in JPG, the choker is completely out of step and the shoes are weird, especially when you seen a shot of the back split of the gown and her feet poking through – what the?? Also her centre part looks a bit off, once I noticed it I couldn’t stop looking at it. She needs a new hair dresser and a new stylist, I wish she would drop L’Wren Scott.

• Jess2 November 10, 2011 at 10:31 #

+1 her whole upper body/face looks a bit weird. the shoes are awful but the clutch is fine

• AW November 10, 2011 at 14:53 #

What a scary outfit and picture. She looks like a robot.

• Isa November 10, 2011 at 16:09 #

Wax Doll Alert

• Sea November 10, 2011 at 19:42 #

I used to love her so much and think she was the most beautiful woman in the world. Now I just wonder what has happened to her face (and style). I think people not in the fashion world would not even pick these ugly shoes. This is the worst shoe moment ever.

2. couturecoco November 10, 2011 at 09:52 #

I’m afraid I can’t be as charitable as you. Nicole is one of the most inconsistent dressers on the red carpet. I can only remember one look I liked, the long red dress that tied at the neck. Everything else before and after has been lurches from one designer to another with absolutely no sense of style at all. I just don’t understand it.
    She does have a great figure and height but she rarely makes the most of them imo which is such a shame.

As she’s so tall and slender, I don’t think she looks best in a straight column dress – she needs to accentuate her curves – even the runway model is showing her curves more than Nicole! She needs movement – that’s why the dress is shown with the gloves with attached wrap (she doesn’t have to go that far it’s for the runway afterall). The dress itself is amazing but she renders it banal with the choker and clutch combo and I totally agree with you about the shoes!! Argh! Maybe it’s bad angle but her hair looks too stiff on the crown – I’ll stop here!

3. Michelle November 10, 2011 at 09:52 #

The choker shortens her neck and makes it seem as if her face was pasted onto the image. Quite baffled as well over the choice of shoes

4. alannah November 10, 2011 at 09:56 #

i dislike allllll of it.
    i feel like there is just too big an expanse of skin between necklace & dress. she needs sleeves or something.
    I’m always so turned off by nicole.

5. Jones19 November 10, 2011 at 10:02 #

What the heck is going on with those pumps and choker? Such a shame since that dress is divine.

6. Rebecca Z November 10, 2011 at 13:05 #

Still not loving the hair. Plastered down and top and messy on the bottom. Not a winning look

7. Gaber November 10, 2011 at 13:50 #

Gosh, she’s bland. There’s absolutely nothing interesting about her.

8. Jeremyrain November 10, 2011 at 13:55 #

There’s always a styling issue I have with Nicole and her team, esp. her hair. I agree that she has been consistent for at least over 10 years began with that golden John Galliano dress at the Oscars. But everything’s been going really stale ever since she worked with L’wren Scott.

9. Alina November 10, 2011 at 14:15 #

This is a complete disaster.

10. lee November 10, 2011 at 14:18 #

i honestly don’t know if she gets fashion or how to put an outfit together. i think she sees what’s pretty and goes for that.

11. Parvati November 10, 2011 at 14:21 #

While I didn’t mind her hair in her previous appearance, I don’t like them here! :P And I really dislike those shoes. The rest is quite pretty.

12. Kaylie November 10, 2011 at 14:30 #

I dont know if it’s the choker, her hair, or just a bad angle, but her head looks bigger than the rest of her body… and that’s all I can see.

13. From Russia With Love November 10, 2011 at 15:22 #

This is the best day of my week. First Rucci now Gaultier Paris. BDOTW!

14. maria November 10, 2011 at 15:28 #

the dress in itself is not the problem, great colour for her, but it’s sitting too low on the bustline.

The rest of the styling is meh….

15. Hannah November 10, 2011 at 21:09 #

See what I’m saying, she always dresses up for her husband’s event. I think this is a little poorly styled and looks a bit 90′s, but it is much preferedot the endless uber dull l’wren scott dresses she usually serves up for us.

16. ramsay November 10, 2011 at 23:47 #

First this is my first time commenting – though I’ve been checking your blog for for more than a year now and I think you’re doing a great job!
    I do like Nicole in general
    She oozes class
    And I do like the dress – though I agree it is a bit low on the bustline (just like her oscar dress)
    The choker is a bit old school
    The shoes are a bad choice
    The hair (as has been for the last few years) lifeless despite the waves
    I much prefer her as a blond don’t you agree?

• Fashion Critic November 11, 2011 at 00:35 #

17. honey November 11, 2011 at 03:02 #

sigh…gone were the amazing-chartreuse-John Galliano-Dior-gown days… remember how stunning she looked? FC! you should rescue her, maybe a compilation of her greatest hits and hopefully her stylist reads it and gets the hint! :) FC to the rescue!

• Fashion Critic November 11, 2011 at 03:12 #

Good ideas :D

18. Ingrid November 12, 2011 at 19:51 #

i feel like i have seen this dress on her several times already