Florence Welch looked sensational whilst gliding down the red carpet at Harper’s Bazaar Women of the Year Awards, which was held at Claridges Hotel in London last night.

Salma Hayek may have been the first to wear an Alexander McQueen Spring 2012 commercial look, but Florence is the first to bring a runway look alive.

She wore a gold barnacle lace gown with gold beaded embellishments.

Her gown still has the tiered details from the empire waist, the keyhole detail and high neckline, but her modified version has long sleeves.

Whilst she let her gown do all the talking by pulling her hair back and opting for minimal makeup, she did add a standout McQueen clutch.

The ivory knuckle clutch with gold hardware also had ivory horns.

Florence more than does justice to this gown. I never had her in mind for this collection – strangely – but she’s a perfect fit.
t.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Jennifer Lopez In Atelier Versace - Glamour's 2011 Women Of The Year Awards

Jennifer Lopez In Atelier Versace – Glamour’s 2011 Women Of The Year Awards

28 Responses to Florence Welch In Alexander McQueen – Harper’s Bazaar Women Of the Year Awards 2011

1. Martin November 8, 2011 at 07:46 #

Florence looks stunning in this gown, and I am so glad that it was modified to include the lace sleeves -it makes it so much more dramatic than the runway version. Florence should wear McQueen more and ditch the Valentino and the Gucci in my opinion. As opposed to the Valentino gowns that she seems to favour, this look combines sheer beauty with a harder edge. I love it.

• Fashion Critic November 8, 2011 at 07:50 #

Agreed. Although she looked great in Gucci, I never warmed to her in Valentino. She nearly always looked washed out.

• Terry November 8, 2011 at 08:40 #

I agree with Martin. Gucci doesn’t emphasize her complexity, and the same can be said for Valentino. McQueen is a perfect choice for her and her dramatic looks.

2. Ali November 8, 2011 at 07:50 #

Unfortunately I totally disagree! I think the colour is all wrong for her skin tone, whilst her hair and make-up is dull and uninspiring. The only thing that saves this for me is the amazing knuckle clutch

• Umi November 8, 2011 at 14:08 #

This dress does nothing for her. It’s very unflattering and it looks like she got no waist.

• Dani November 8, 2011 at 22:47 #

Yeah, I agree. It’s doing awful things to her boobs and almost looks like she’s got a whole second row going on.

3. f4fashion November 8, 2011 at 08:00 #

The dress is so dramatic and I love the way Florence is pulling it off. I was pleasantly surprised by her hairstyle. She is looking amazing. BDTW contender for sure.

4. Emi November 8, 2011 at 08:29 #

I lobe this dress with the long sleeves, but I agree with Ali about the color, which doesn’t really flatter her skin tone. Honestly I prefer her with bangs, I don’t like her without.

5. Natalie November 8, 2011 at 09:10 #

She’s so much more of a Givenchy/Mcqueen girl to me than Valentino or Gucci actually. FC, did you see her look from when she performed on The X Factor? I know you’re not a fan of the show, but she brought some major star quality to the show and easily outdressed everyone at the MTV EMAs, which was going on at the same time.

• Fashion Critic November 8, 2011 at 09:18 #

I saw the pictures on another site, she did look good on the X factor

• Hannah November 8, 2011 at 19:04 #

I had to watch the X Factor whilst babysitting ( never again), but I was happy to see her on there, eve though her makeup was much, much less than flattering. Kelly, hair aside, looked amazing in John Galliano, she was wearing Feretti the day before, which I also had to watch wilst babysitting, and Tulisa seemed to eb wearing Kirkwood shoes, so I guess my viewing experience wasn’ all bad, although it is the last time I shall watch it. However, how people genuinely watch the X factor is beyodn me, it is so irritating, and none of them have that great voices.

6. CreoleLady November 8, 2011 at 09:21 #

Prefer the runway sleeves but love that she is adding to her repertoire, moving away from the floaty dress/heavy bangs rut. Hope to see her in more McQueen.

7. Jess2 November 8, 2011 at 09:45 #

Such an amazing dress! I prefer the cap sleeves though and think Florence would have looked better in them also. With that said though she does work it and I really liked that she chose that white clutch, it is to die for and so much better than a black of gold one. I don’t really like her hair though, I do like that she pulled it back and that it is simple but I don’t like how it is done with the middle part.

8. Vicky November 8, 2011 at 10:52 #

The colour is odd against her skintone.
    And I prefer the runway version without sleeves, but that could be down to the previous fact…

9. Jess November 8, 2011 at 11:01 #

gorgeous dress, a perfect match for her…..I just feel something is off in the chest area? maybe she is too broad for it or needs better boob support?

10. TeaAtTwo November 8, 2011 at 12:58 #

I don’t why she looks so miserable in that photo when she’s when wearing such a beautiful dress.

11. Moxie November 8, 2011 at 14:47 #

I don’t like the tiers in the middle… it makes it look like she’s either got a muffin top or an extra set of breasts. Too lumpy. If it weren’t for that tier, it would be an amazing look.

• maria November 8, 2011 at 15:18 #

i agree about the tier, but it could also be the picture. sometimes i am surprised how different a dress looks depending on the angle of the photograph.

I love this. Very dramatic.

12. dee November 8, 2011 at 15:23 #

I like this gown on her but why does she looks so stiff?

13. Laura November 8, 2011 at 15:38 #

I actually like the idea of this dress on her, but her boobs look like they’re sagging. That’s just too distracting for me.

14. Alina November 8, 2011 at 15:56 #

FLAWLESS.

15. Jess November 8, 2011 at 16:22 #

The minute i saw this, i was completely awestruck. She looks other-wordly and divine – even thought i almost prefer the short sleeves – and the bag is a perfect playful fit. BDOTW contender!

16. GGGGG November 8, 2011 at 17:41 #

When I saw this on the runway I was dying to see it on the red carpet. I approve!!!! I also really like the added long sleeves as opposed to the runway look as well.

17. Hannah November 8, 2011 at 19:01 #

I like the look on her, but she isn’t quit ebreahting enough life into it as I might have hoped she would. I love the fragility, but I would have prefered bette rposture. Also, for some reaosn, whenver I see this I think of Noomi Rapace in Givenchy at the Bafta’s, and I wish there had been an element of that strength in this.

18. Sea November 8, 2011 at 19:50 #

she translated the gown so incredibly well from the runway. i was blown away! BDOTW! :)

19. Iris November 8, 2011 at 23:04 #

Exquisite dress but the colour for her a little off for me. Her breasts look like they are sagging and I dont get the midriff frill. Much prefer without sleeves as she looks constricted.

20. Melissa November 13, 2011 at 05:16 #

I don’t like this at all. Looks like she has a huge roll as her waist and saggy boobs.