Sarah Jessica Parker In Chanel Couture – VRC Oaks Club Ladies Luncheon

Sarah Jessica Parker looked slightly overwhelmed by her Philip Treacy hat as she attended the VRC Oaks Club Ladies Luncheon at the Crown Palladium in Melbourne, Australia earlier this afternoon.

The black sculptural hat is truly a piece of art. I wonder how one gets something like that through customs.

On this occasion SJP donned black Manolo Blahnik pumps with a bronze Chanel tweed sleeveless dress, which is very much on trend.

Whilst I’m obsessed with SJP’s curly mane, I think a tight bun would’ve worked better on this occasion.

What do you think?

Should SJP have worn her hair up or down?

Credit: Getty

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Live Stream: Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture

Anne Hathaway In Valentino Couture - Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala

Anne Hathaway In Valentino Couture – Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala

27 Responses to Sarah Jessica Parker In Chanel Couture – VRC Oaks Club Ladies Luncheon

1. Juliana November 2, 2011 at 09:50 #

She shouldn’t have worn that hat, IMHO.

• dee November 2, 2011 at 12:54 #

2. Vidhya November 2, 2011 at 09:51 #

I love hats.. but this doesnt look high fashion.. it looks comical..

3. Jones19 November 2, 2011 at 10:41 #

I’m getting a headache just looking at that thing. I do like her dress and her hair looks great.

4. Lils November 2, 2011 at 11:03 #

I like the dress and shoes but god that hat is highly distracting however pretty it is

5. Manuel November 2, 2011 at 11:27 #

The hat is very Cruella like and would have been incredible as part of Miranda Pristley wardrobe in The Devil Wears prada or something like that

6. roxana November 2, 2011 at 11:42 #

the hat is great on her!

7. robbie November 2, 2011 at 11:48 #

why the hell did she ruin such a lovely outfit with that hideous hat. philip treacy has to be the designer of some of the most ugly hats on the planet.

8. msd November 2, 2011 at 11:52 #

Philip Treacy is in Melbourne, I think that’s why we’ve been seeing so many of his hats during Spring Carnival. As for this one…. umm, it looks like something out of Alien. It could have worked, I think, but it’s all wrong with the outfit and styling. It overwhelms her.

9. msd November 2, 2011 at 12:02 #

Philip Treacy agrees with you FC. He said yesterday “Women have to wear their hair up with a hat. If they have it down, forget it. Not even getting a look in.” The rest, he says, is up to you. SJP is going to be in trouble!

• Fashion Critic November 2, 2011 at 12:20 #

I wish she took his advice

• Mol November 2, 2011 at 14:34 #

It does look like she just plopped the hat on without giving any thought as to how she could best show it to advantage – as already posted, the outfit is all wrong for the hat too. It’s too bad as it’s a wild hat and I for one would have liked to seen it shown off to advantage!

10. Rebecca Z November 2, 2011 at 14:09 #

Hair up or down, I think she could have carried off the hat if it were somewhat smaller. I love her sense of fun and adventure with fashion–she is so willing to take risks and occasionally look bad or ridiculous–and sometimes she does. I really like her dress.

11. Ade November 2, 2011 at 14:20 #

I’m having trouble focusing on anything but that hat and that’s a terrible thing because my first reaction is not good but when I realized that it’s not debris, I hate it even more.

12. Palm Lopez November 2, 2011 at 14:22 #

Yes, I agree with a tight bun but she looked great in everything ;)

13. GGGGGGGG November 2, 2011 at 14:48 #

Her hair is very distracting. Im on team tigh bun. With the patterned dress,the giant work of art on your head, AND the hair your eyes dont know where to go first.

14. Elaine2 November 2, 2011 at 14:52 #

LOL……….that hat would be great as part of a Halloween costume, but that’s about it! :-) Thanks for the chuckle…….

15. ALEXA November 2, 2011 at 15:38 #

UGLY

16. Manuel November 2, 2011 at 15:46 #

Imagine a windy New York day…up up up and away with SJP

17. Nat39 November 2, 2011 at 17:17 #

What bothers me most here is the sleeveless tweed, plus the hat – this is one very malfunctioning look.

18. Hannah November 2, 2011 at 19:11 #

I think the hat, fantastic though it is, ruined hte look. Hats are always always for hair up, but I just don’t think that this hat woudl have looked that much better with a tight bun because with a tight bun, given it is black and the mesh type effect, ti would have looked too overly dramatic funeral for me, it would have been too severe. Had she not worn the hat and had a bun or a poytail, I think I would have been muc mreo favourable to this outfit.

19. Sharon November 2, 2011 at 19:24 #

I love hats and am so glad they’re trendy again, but even SJP can’t make me like this one. It would look much better on Lady Gaga with one of her costumes. The rest of the look — dress, shoes, hair, etc. — all look good.

20. molly November 2, 2011 at 20:56 #

And people said that Princess Beatrice’s royal wedding hat was ridiculous…yikes.

21. zeenie November 4, 2011 at 12:37 #

That hat and that hair!! No no no no no!

22. vicky November 5, 2011 at 23:30 #

If ANYONE could pull off wearing that hat Sarah Jessica Parker could. I love the hat! You go girl!