02.11.11

Princess Charlene of Monaco was joined by her husband, the Prince of Monaco, as they attended the Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala which was held at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City yesterday evening.

Princess Charlene wore a Christian Dior Fall 2011 black lace embroidered gown which she teamed with a black mink Dior clutch.

Even with the embroidered details, I still find myself not liking this gown.

Unlike some of you who have issues with her broad shoulders, my issue is that the gown is overly fussy, especially on the skirt.

I would’ve preferred the Princess to wear something more classic.

Diamond drop earrings and a side-swept updo completed her look.

This dress has also been worn by Marion Cotillard.

Credit: Getty

Sarah Jessica Parker In Chanel Couture - VRC Oaks Club Ladies Luncheon

Sarah Jessica Parker In Chanel Couture – VRC Oaks Club Ladies Luncheon

Blake Lively In Dolce & Gabbana - Christian Louboutin's Barney's New York Cocktail Party

Blake Lively In Dolce & Gabbana – Christian Louboutin’s Barney’s New York Cocktail Party

26 Comments

26 Responses to Princess Charlene of Monaco In Christian Dior – Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala

1. couturecoco November 2, 2011 at 10:10 #

Agree with you, shame. I love her hair, the waves make a nice change though she’s a touch too heavy handed with the eyeliner.

2. Jones19 November 2, 2011 at 10:25 #

I love this look, very romantic.

• Fashion Critic November 2, 2011 at 10:39 #

thank you. I forgot about this

3. Jacqu November 2, 2011 at 10:31 #

I love the dress on her. The close up though, her face. Tragedy’s all over it, and it has nothing to do with the make up or how beautiful she is.

4. Ben November 2, 2011 at 10:39 #

I’m sorry, but I LOVE this dress on her! Looks much better on her than it did on Marion Cotillard.

• noo November 2, 2011 at 11:06 #

definitely agree with you that its better on charlene, the dress fits better on her and her hair and make up are less tragic than marion’s.
      but i don’t like the dress itself so much!

• Jen November 2, 2011 at 11:24 #

Agree – the dress isn’t my favorite but she looks great in it.

5. Lils November 2, 2011 at 11:04 #

I can’t make up my mind. Love her hairstyle and makeup but not so sure about the dress

• Emi November 2, 2011 at 11:38 #

Me, too, I don’t know if I like it…

6. T from Sydney November 2, 2011 at 11:43 #

shes an ex olympic swimmer so i dont think she can help her shoulders being so wide
    shes pretty and looks good but she always looks awkward in pictures and on the news.

• Jackie November 2, 2011 at 14:16 #

Yup, I think she looks awkward here for whatever reason and it’s doing no favors to the dress or her overall look for that matter. I want to like it but I’m not…

I like it better on Marion.

• maria November 2, 2011 at 16:31 #

me too (better on Marion).

I think Charlene, being sporty and South African should probably not go the French route and wear less frilly dresses.
        This look is just meh for me. She has a great body and face, the dress is gorgeous, but the result is meh.

• Jackie November 3, 2011 at 03:22 #

Lol! I totally agree! Both are great but not together.

7. Lara November 2, 2011 at 11:46 #

I like it quite a lot, actually. I think she is beautiful

8. Carolina November 2, 2011 at 12:03 #

I think she looks amazing all round! Love the dress a lot.

9. Lee Ann November 2, 2011 at 12:34 #

This dress is really beautiful in real life-the plaid lace work looks heavy in photographs but isn’t > It really is a stunning dress but you can’t tell from the pictures where it looks heavy and like something worn by Kate Winslet in the Titanic movie.

10. Manel November 2, 2011 at 12:52 #

Princess Charlene is wearing Montblanc Seven Stars Kate earrings.

11. Carolina November 2, 2011 at 13:48 #

She looks so sad :(

• molly November 2, 2011 at 20:52 #

She always looks like that and she always has. She doesnt like the media attention but she puts up with it so she can be with Albert. She just doesnt put her emotions into her face. She is sort of like Victoria Beckham.

12. Quinn November 2, 2011 at 14:03 #

I love it. she looks amazing. so much better than Marion

13. Nat39 November 2, 2011 at 17:03 #

Don`t find the dress fussy, looks great on her, the hairstyle works perfectly with it. The broad shoulders are the real issue here as they take away from the delicate feminine feel of the look.

14. Hannah November 2, 2011 at 19:09 #

I actually like this look on her. I am glad tat she isn’t doign classic again, because whiel she does it well, she looks great in this dres. I think the dress is somehow complementary to her broad shoulders, perhaps because it isn’t off the shoulder or strapless yet again, and her hair and makeup si gorgeous. However, I usually am droolign over the many, many carats that she is wearings, an dI feel a few more would have made this outfit even better.

15. I would have preferred it with a darker lining and some pop of colour somewhere (make-up?) to lift the look but overall I think she looks great! Uncomfortable but great.

16. molly November 2, 2011 at 20:54 #

I love the dress. I think her shoulders look large because of the way she is standing. In other pictures, she isnt so broad. Her hair and makeup are flawless. I wish people would get over Kate Middleton because there are so many more stylish royals out there than her.