Anne Hathaway In Valentino Couture – Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala

Anne Hathaway has often spoke about her admiration of Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, so she would’ve been over the moon to meet Princess Charlene of Monaco at the Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala which was held at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City yesterday evening.

She wore a beautiful Valentino Fall 2011 Couture dress.

Her long-sleeve cocktail dress, which is covered in sparkling beaded embellishments, was paired with matching Christian Louboutin Super Vic satin heels.

Thankfully she added a dark pink lip colour as she was in serious danger of being totally washed out by this look.

Whilst the look is event appropriate – I think there was a conscious effort not to upstage the Princess – I don’t think this is quite BDOTW worthy.

What do you think?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

In Anne Hathaway's Closet - Kate Spade Katie Drawstring Bag

In Anne Hathaway’s Closet – Kate Spade Katie Drawstring Bag

Sarah Jessica Parker In Prabal Gurung -  ‘I Don’t Know How She Does It’ Melbourne Premiere

Sarah Jessica Parker In Prabal Gurung – ‘I Don’t Know How She Does It’ Melbourne Premiere

30 Responses to Anne Hathaway In Valentino Couture – Princess Grace Foundation Annual Gala

1. The Dame November 2, 2011 at 10:53 #

Absolutely gorgeous!

2. Martin November 2, 2011 at 10:57 #

I think this look ages her terribly. And I am finding that a lot of the recent work coming from the house of Valentino has a tendency to add years (and in some cases – like Elle Fanning’s – decades) to the appearance of those who wear it on the red carpet. And the make-up offers no salvation in my book either. Is that dark pink lipstick with orange blush I see? Nothing in this look really makes sense to me.

• Linda November 2, 2011 at 12:10 #

Agree with your comments on Valentino lately. They often have a matronly look to them in real life, whereas on the runway they usually look better.

• dee November 2, 2011 at 12:59 #

I agree. She looks much older.

3. noo November 2, 2011 at 11:03 #

this isn’t blowing my mind, two busty girls wearing really covered up looks.
    also i wish anne had done something different with her hair, the two loose strands are horrible.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty & Fashion Blog) November 2, 2011 at 13:51 #

+1 here too. For me its a total miss.

• Rebecca Z November 2, 2011 at 13:58 #

I agree about her hair–some height and sophistication in the hairstyle would have helped with this look. A little confused about the “two busty girls” comment–these women seem pretty normally proportioned to me!

• noo November 3, 2011 at 09:08 #

i was in no way saying that they were disproportionate :D just that a deeper neckline would have flattered them more!

• Rebecca Z November 3, 2011 at 12:54 #

I get it–not a fan of mystery, huh :>

4. Lils November 2, 2011 at 11:05 #

Gorgeous but I can’t help feeling that there’s something missing

• Emi November 2, 2011 at 11:34 #

Me, too. I was looking forward to see this beautiful dress on a red carpet, but I feel the same, maybe it’s her hair, or the make up, so , not BDOTW for me.

5. Jen November 2, 2011 at 11:15 #

The fit’s off – it look too tight across her shoulders & arms, and honestly the waist looks like it hits her a little too high. And, the makeup is a little harsh. Usually Anne wears clothes really well, but this isn’t her best.

6. roxana November 2, 2011 at 11:40 #

wow, what a beautiful dress!

7. Parvati November 2, 2011 at 11:54 #

I think this colour slightly washes her out, but still, she looks beautiful.

8. Jess2 November 2, 2011 at 12:27 #

I miss her wearing colour. It’s a nice dress though but her blush is wayyyy too orange

• GGGGGGGG November 2, 2011 at 14:37 #

Yea she’s been wearing is black,white, and blush lately. She needs to return to color. And I agree the blush and the whole hair and makeup is killing right know. The right hair & makeup could have youthened this look up.

9. Faellie November 2, 2011 at 13:07 #

The pose is all wrong for the dress she’s wearing.

10. Elaine2 November 2, 2011 at 14:46 #

Anne Hathaway looks like a real goofball in these photos. Her posture on that first photo – OMG, laughable!

11. Samaira November 2, 2011 at 15:21 #

All the comments here are so harsh, I find her lovely in this dress. In fact I feel she upstaged the princess a bit. I don’t know, She looks real graceful.

• Sea November 2, 2011 at 22:49 #

+1! I feel she looks more gorgeous than the princess!

12. Jones19 November 2, 2011 at 16:24 #

I love that she didn’t line the skirt. That’s so rare on the red carpet. This is a gorgeous look from Anne, she looks beautiful.

13. Nat39 November 2, 2011 at 16:28 #

I`m going to be in a distinct minority here, really like this look on her (for the 1st time in a quite a while actually). It`s a very well done look, everything works perfectly here – fit, length, hair, jewelry, the bright lips, even the matching pumps (and I`m not even a fan of matchy-matchy), and most importantly her posture – I can`t believe she is not slouching – perfectly poised, Anne is carrying this event-appropriate look beautifully! On a not so strong week (if nothing else comes up) it`s totally bdotw worthy.

• Elle November 3, 2011 at 22:33 #

I absolutely agree with everything you said! And I also want that dress.

• Vyara Avramova November 7, 2011 at 16:32 #

I love the look of Anne too! Bloggers should know that there is a difference between attending Hollywood event and Europian Royal Event! The protocol and the expectations from the people invited is very different. When have you seen royalties that are not matchy-matchy? Isn’t Kate like this too? They are elegant,classy and classic,not a music stars or actors! Because they are for real and forever,not like the star of the day!!!

14. maria November 2, 2011 at 16:37 #

the dress is gorgeous on the runway, with the see through fabric. The underlay in Anne’s dress makes it look dowdy. Maybe it’s the colour they chose for it… not sure, but it looses all the breeziness.

15. Hannah November 2, 2011 at 19:02 #

I love the shoes makeup adn earrings, but the dress doesn’t suit her body, and the centre part and suspicious possible greasiness are jsu tnot fun, they take back to the not so good jssica biel days, which just isn’t fun. I get what she was goign for but hte execution isn’t entirely there.

16. Sharon November 2, 2011 at 19:08 #

Anne rarely disappoints me, but this is one of the times. The dress does wash out her natural coloring, and the makeup doesn’t help at all. It’s too dark and clown-like for someone who usually looks like a princess herself.

17. Tahj November 3, 2011 at 05:00 #

This dress is not flattering on her. It makes her look heavier than she is. She was trying to go for glamour and it failed.

18. Lucía November 3, 2011 at 21:14 #

It’s cute, but that’s it