01.11.11 Beauty, Makeup

Beauty Trend Spotting: Lower Lashes Are Gaining Momentum

For the record—we blame Kim Kardashian.

We remember the good ole’ days when mascara used to be reserved for the upper lash line; now it looks as if celebs are bucking beauty tradition and coating their lower lashes as well.

Why, pray tell, one might ask?

“This season is about separated cloggy lashes,” says Pat McGrath, the lash-obsessed makeup artist behind the spiky looks at Valentino, Lanvin, and Gucci FW/11.

The key to nailing the spidery lash look? “Tons and tons and tons of mascara,” adds McGrath.

Lucia Pieroni, the makeup artist responsible for the lash-tastic look at Alberta Ferretti FW/11 recommends ‘heavily applying mascara on the upper and lower lashes, using the wand to round out the eye for a Bambi effect.’

Makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury followed suit at the Chloe FW/11 show, where she confirmed Pieroni’s technique with this bit of advice: “Use your brush to pull out even the corner lashes—top and bottom—to ensure you coat every single hair.”

If mascara isn’t dramatic enough for you, take it one step further: Intensify your lower lashes with a set of falsies created especially for the lower lash line. Ardell’s Lower False Eyelashes ($4.89 at Amazon.com) are industry standard.

Question: Have you been applying mascara to your bottom lashes as well? Or will you start? —India-Jewel Jackson

Credit: Fame Pictures

, , , , , , , ,

Garcelle Beauvais In St. John - 2011 amfAR Inspiration Gala Los Angeles

Garcelle Beauvais In St. John – 2011 amfAR Inspiration Gala Los Angeles

Noomi Rapace In Giambattista Valli - 'Babycall' Rome Film Festival Premiere

Noomi Rapace In Giambattista Valli – ‘Babycall’ Rome Film Festival Premiere

33 Responses to Beauty Trend Spotting: Lower Lashes Are Gaining Momentum

1. karine November 1, 2011 at 15:05 #

I always wear a tiny bit of mascara on my lower lashes as well, but only because my blond lashes are invisible otherwise and it looks weird with black lashes on top and see-though lashes on the bottom. Looks notging like the pictures though.

Love you work by the way FC

• Fashion Critic November 1, 2011 at 15:10 #

Thanks

This was witten by India Jewel x

• Vicky November 1, 2011 at 15:20 #

Yeah I have to do the same. My blond lashes are so light!!

• Fede November 1, 2011 at 22:28 #

Me too!

2. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) November 1, 2011 at 15:18 #

I too never forgo a bit of mascara on the bottom. I can’t get Kim out of my head when I see lower lashes…not such a good thing!

3. justme November 1, 2011 at 15:26 #

I only apply it on my lower lashes at night. I think it’s a bit much for daytime. Besides, mascara is supposed to open up/brighten your eyes and it can have the opposite effect when you put on your lower lashes. Your eyes end up looking smaller and “darker”.

I would never, ever, ever, EVER apply it the way it’s been done in those pics though. Both models (especially the Gucci one) look like they went swimming before showing up on set.

4. Ade November 1, 2011 at 15:43 #

I blame Kim Kardashian for a lot of things….just saying.

• India-Jewel November 1, 2011 at 17:24 #

+1 million!

• StylistaLiz January 20, 2012 at 05:24 #

lol true! It always seem like when I or my friend find something super cute or really like, we turn around and see Kim K or her sisters wearing it or ‘in the making’ of it…geesh.
      Applying on the lower lash works best for the extra umph,day or night. Models set the look for shows and layouts for designer’s image. Not intended for us (non) reality world!

5. Lola November 1, 2011 at 16:16 #

The blushing bride…turned foxy divorcee…pipe woman. I for one never liked her makeup… It looks caky and fake. She mustt spend a foruten in fake lashes. Mascara on lower lashes looks good when u are young…after 35ish it tends to drag your eyes down…

6. Giuseppi Giraffe November 1, 2011 at 16:24 #

Ive always mascarad my bottom lashes a little bit, but i think i cuodl go for this- esp the gucci model.

i’ve never consciously noticed it, i think, but it’s so chic

7. dee November 1, 2011 at 16:34 #

As long as it doesn’t look like spiderlegs it’s fine.

8. Morgan November 1, 2011 at 16:39 #

I wear mascara on my lower lashes also, but only a little bit to define them. I think the clumpy, spider lashes look terrible.

9. Jones19 November 1, 2011 at 16:44 #

I always put lots of mascara on my lower lashes, it really frames your eyes.

10. Ev November 1, 2011 at 17:05 #

I do usually put mascara on my lower lashes for the everyday make-up (depends on the make-up though) but instead of black mascara I use brown or grey, that way my lashes are still defined, but they don’t weight my eyes down.
    Clumpy spider leg lashes may work for runway shows but they look terrible in real life. Kim’s lashes are fake and that’s exactly how they look like.

11. Jazz November 1, 2011 at 18:03 #

i think kim’s lashes are gorgeous. her eye makeup always looks impeccable. so many haterrrrs here

12. Laura November 1, 2011 at 18:28 #

I thought you were talking about something entirely different when I read your first line. lol.

I tend to stay away from my lower lashes, as most of the time all it does is smear and does little to make me feel beautiful.

13. Mahima November 1, 2011 at 20:50 #

I usually wear it on my bottom lashes rather than my top. I don’t, I’ve done it way before anyone knew who Kim was, but I’ve always thought its more unique. As long as it looks natural, and not clumpy, your eyes look really nice.

14. molly November 1, 2011 at 21:32 #

Its fine when you make it look natural, but its awful when you make it clumpy. No one looks good with clumpy lashes, it just makes you look like a teen who who doesnt know how to wear eye makeup :P

15. JT November 1, 2011 at 23:43 #

The trend isn’t about people suddenly starting to apply mascara on the bottom lashes. Who doesn’t already do that? It’s about people putting a crazy amount on them. Kim K apparently uses special bottom lash mascara that has a tiny brush, making it easier to apply.

16. thejoyjoyjoy November 2, 2011 at 00:42 #

I’ve always put mascara on top and bottom lashes, i like the full fringe!

17. micheline November 2, 2011 at 02:49 #

please, please…. no more kim kardashian….

• Adam November 3, 2011 at 19:33 #

Seconded, she makes me queasy.

18. Jess2 November 2, 2011 at 03:11 #

I’ve always applied a light coat on my lower lashes that’s just what I was taught but I don’t go for the clumped just one brush through. I’ll give this trend a go and see how it looks on me

19. Sarah November 2, 2011 at 03:40 #

whatever karshian does, im not doing it.

20. Louise November 2, 2011 at 07:46 #

Definitely no. It is one of my pet make-up hates. I think it makes eyes look smaller and it is ageing too.

21. Colleen November 2, 2011 at 14:55 #

I have always used a bit of mascara on my lower lashes. As for this new trend of clumpy lashes? Not going to happen with me – I usually wash my face & start over when that happens!

22. Kathy November 2, 2011 at 21:34 #

personally I thinks it looks like you’ve got two spiders on your eyes! hahahahahha
    my lower lashes are already long so I never put mascara on them.. by the way, I think it looks fake.

23. Jen November 2, 2011 at 23:56 #

I never do because it just ends up on my skin. these photo examples aren’t enticing me to revisit the idea.

24. Elle November 3, 2011 at 22:41 #

I would never do this. This one girl at work had it like that and it was SO distracting and looked like tarantula legs adorning her eyes.

Does anybody have info on how to curl really rigid and heavy Asian lashes? Mine curl down naturally like window shades and I always have a hard time getting it to stay open and curled like Caucasian gals.

• StylistaLiz January 20, 2012 at 05:29 #

Shu uemura eyelash curler works well. Try to warm it a little bit with a hair blow dryer. Try it if you haven’t already. Also a try clear mascara before using mascara. :)

25. Simone January 12, 2012 at 09:32 #

This is strange as i never usually coat my bottom lashes, as for the clumpy lashes- I’m NOT buying it

26. Casey March 4, 2012 at 23:50 #

I get most of my tips from 101 Beauty, Makeup and Fashion Tips (an e-book on Amazon). I like the look of lower lashes, but not heavily done, otherwise it looks spidery.