31.10.11 Premiere

This is Nikki Reed’s fifth appearance on the red carpet promoting ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1’ since Friday.

On Sunday night she walked the red carpet at the 2011 Rome Film Festival looking heavenly wearing a Maria Lucia Hohan gown.

Her white pleated gown with a plunging neckline and open back was teamed with gold jewels and metallic platforms.

A simple bun and bronze lippie completed her look.

I was going to say how much I loved this gown, but then I saw the back and was left totally disappointed.

The exposed zipper on the flesh colour panel on the back is really ugly.

I remember during the 2009 Emmy Awards we were all set to give Olivia Wilde ‘best dressed’ in her Marchesa gown – until we saw the exposed zipper at the back.

Surely there must be a better way to avoid this. A thinner clear zip, a side zip, clear buttons – anything but this.

Credit: Getty

Michelle Yeoh In Elie Saab – 2011 Doha Tribeca Film Festival Closing Ceremony

Michelle Yeoh In Elie Saab – 2011 Doha Tribeca Film Festival Closing Ceremony

Carolina Crescentini In Valentino - 'L'Industriale' Rome Film Festival Premiere

Carolina Crescentini In Valentino – ‘L’Industriale’ Rome Film Festival Premiere

43 Responses to Nikki Reed In Maria Lucia Hohan – ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1′ Rome Film Festival Premiere

1. The Dame October 31, 2011 at 11:34 #

That is a sorry sight. You cannot make a red carpet gown and then put in a zip like that, not even a rookie designer would do such a thing, this doesn’t make sense…

2. Martin October 31, 2011 at 11:36 #

I honestly don’t have an opinion either way on the dress, but that zipper is beyond monstrous. Two questions – (a) What designer in their right mind would think it is acceptable to put such an ugly, obvious, cheap-looking zip into a dress like this, and (b) what self-respecting actress would choose to wear the dress with noted atrocious zip to the premiere of such a massive film?

3. Lils October 31, 2011 at 11:45 #

Everything’s perfect except from the back. If you forget it even exists she does belong to the BDOTW poll. Perfect makeup, hair and accessories. The rest of the dress is divine

• T from Sydney October 31, 2011 at 12:02 #

agree. its crazy how one small zip can ruin a look.
      if i didnt see the back of this dress it would of been a definite BDOTW contender.

4. Joy October 31, 2011 at 11:45 #

Yikes!! What a way to ruin a lovely dress. I thought the same thing, loving it, and then ,”What the heck?” I don’t even get why would you do this to a dress? You mean the zipper is there for construction purposes vs. fashion? This is way worse then Olivia’s zipper, the way it just hangs there all wrinkled up. So sad.

• Fashion Critic October 31, 2011 at 11:51 #

I agree. way worse than Olivia’s

5. T from Sydney October 31, 2011 at 11:47 #

ohhhhh the back totally ruins the look but i LOVE the front.

i cant tell is there mesh on the plunging neckline???

ps Jackson Rathbone her costar for twilight is wearing really cool cowboy boots. they are different to what most men wear on the red carpet.

i still think Nikki is totally beating Ashley in the looks for this promo. even with the exposed zip in this dress.

• Fashion Critic October 31, 2011 at 11:51 #

I think so…not too sure about the front

6. bee7 October 31, 2011 at 11:55 #

i litereally LOL’ed looking at the back. it was fugly.

7. momochi October 31, 2011 at 11:55 #

And remember Penelope Cruz’s Marchesa dress at Cannes?

• Fashion Critic October 31, 2011 at 12:15 #

oh yes. That was a deal breaker too

8. Andreea October 31, 2011 at 12:07 #

The dress is beautiful,but too bad that that zipper ruins its beauty.She looks great,but oh that zipper…

9. marie October 31, 2011 at 12:27 #

i like how her make up manages to look so fresh yet so sophisticated..definitely an improvement..at elast she doesnt look like she’s trying too hard..ive noticed though that nikki and ashley tend to look better when not around kristen..perhaps because they try so hard to upstage her?

• Julie October 31, 2011 at 13:50 #

It’s not hard to upstage Kristen.

• sarah October 31, 2011 at 15:08 #

+1 well said

10. rebecca October 31, 2011 at 12:37 #

WHY WHY WHY! This look would’ve been so perfect if it weren’t for the zipper!

11. Lucía October 31, 2011 at 12:48 #

I completely agree about the back. What a way to ruin a dress.

12. Parvati October 31, 2011 at 12:53 #

Wow, I hadn’t seen the back of Olivia Wilde’s gown back then, so I had no idea that it had an exposed zipper. Now that I saw it, I think it’s much subtler than this one (but still, it was bad). This one on Nikki Reed’s gown is so ugly, so in-your-face that it totally ruins the look. It’s a pitty because it’s such a beautiful gown from the front. I can’t believe that was the only way to make the gown.

13. Jess2 October 31, 2011 at 13:03 #

Oh I’m so disappointed, she was doing do well in her recent appearances and the front is lovely and I love the draping sections on the back but oh god the zipper, why just why and what possessed the designer to do that. perfectly hideous. her hair and perfect is wonderful though

14. dee October 31, 2011 at 13:21 #

Lovely from the front, awful from the back but that is the designer of the dress fault.

15. Julie October 31, 2011 at 13:51 #

I loved this dress until the back. Why? Oh why?

16. Vicky October 31, 2011 at 13:51 #

I don’t get it, is the mesh part only at the back? Because I can’t hint it in the front… Such a shame on an otherwise lovely dress

• Fashion Critic October 31, 2011 at 14:28 #

I have since looked at a few more pictures and there doesn’t appear to be any sheer illusion at the front, which makes the back all the more baffling.

17. Alina October 31, 2011 at 13:54 #

From the front, this is BDOTW material.

I agree with T from Sydney – she’s been better than Ashley during this promo tour.

18. Jones19 October 31, 2011 at 14:06 #

It’s so perfect from the front that the back makes me want to cry. Couldn’t they have gone with a hidden zipper?

19. Sabrina October 31, 2011 at 15:39 #

That zipper is disgusting.

20. justme October 31, 2011 at 15:53 #

Shame on the designer, SHAME ON HIM!

21. Amanda October 31, 2011 at 15:55 #

Omg that zipper looks like I made it and i can’t sew!

22. DivaMom October 31, 2011 at 16:06 #

Her back looks deformed or diseased. HORRIFYING.

• yourockmyworld October 31, 2011 at 17:04 #

23. Hannah October 31, 2011 at 16:38 #

I adore this look. she is completely outshining Ashley by a million miles. Marriage definitely suits her. I remember that she used to dress well but be a bit ‘meh’ but she has looked gorgeous on this promo tour. Except for the zip, I adore her unnoticeable the mesh is at the front, it means that the dress can keep it’s shape without detracting from it. The colour and style fo the dress are very different, she is glowing, her hair and makeup are perfection, ad she is very present, which is divine to see, especially as it means that she could keep the gown simple, when I imagine other people would ahve worn so many jewls to make the dress stand out. I also really like her shoes. She’s my favourite red carpet twilight girl, Anna Kendrick aside.

24. Daisy October 31, 2011 at 19:47 #

HIDEOUS FROM THE FRONT, WORSE FROM THE BACK. THE FRONT IS UNEVEN!!!!!

25. Giuseppi Giraffe October 31, 2011 at 19:51 #

UGH!!! Whatever were the designers thinking?! That zipper is horrible!

26. marie October 31, 2011 at 21:35 #

I think the dress fails before you get to the back. Very poorly constructed. The need for a huge zipper like that tells the tale. The entire thing is wrapped in illusion fabric. Very tacky. There’s also a stiffness to the bodice that is at odds with the intended grecian style.

27. Hisadora October 31, 2011 at 23:26 #

Despite that ridiculous zipper I think she looks fantastic!!!! One of her best looks so far.

28. Nadine October 31, 2011 at 23:47 #

Looks as if she just had back surgery, very creepy.