This is Nikki Reed’s fifth appearance on the red carpet promoting ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1’ since Friday.

On Sunday night she walked the red carpet at the 2011 Rome Film Festival looking heavenly wearing a Maria Lucia Hohan gown.

Her white pleated gown with a plunging neckline and open back was teamed with gold jewels and metallic platforms.

A simple bun and bronze lippie completed her look.

I was going to say how much I loved this gown, but then I saw the back and was left totally disappointed.

The exposed zipper on the flesh colour panel on the back is really ugly.

I remember during the 2009 Emmy Awards we were all set to give Olivia Wilde ‘best dressed’ in her Marchesa gown – until we saw the exposed zipper at the back.

Surely there must be a better way to avoid this. A thinner clear zip, a side zip, clear buttons – anything but this.

Credit: Getty

43 thoughts on “Nikki Reed In Maria Lucia Hohan – ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1′ Rome Film Festival Premiere

1. The Dame

That is a sorry sight. You cannot make a red carpet gown and then put in a zip like that, not even a rookie designer would do such a thing, this doesn’t make sense…

2. Martin

I honestly don’t have an opinion either way on the dress, but that zipper is beyond monstrous. Two questions – (a) What designer in their right mind would think it is acceptable to put such an ugly, obvious, cheap-looking zip into a dress like this, and (b) what self-respecting actress would choose to wear the dress with noted atrocious zip to the premiere of such a massive film?

3. Lils

Everything’s perfect except from the back. If you forget it even exists she does belong to the BDOTW poll. Perfect makeup, hair and accessories. The rest of the dress is divine

1. T from Sydney

agree. its crazy how one small zip can ruin a look.
      if i didnt see the back of this dress it would of been a definite BDOTW contender.

4. Joy

Yikes!! What a way to ruin a lovely dress. I thought the same thing, loving it, and then ,”What the heck?” I don’t even get why would you do this to a dress? You mean the zipper is there for construction purposes vs. fashion? This is way worse then Olivia’s zipper, the way it just hangs there all wrinkled up. So sad.

5. T from Sydney

ohhhhh the back totally ruins the look but i LOVE the front.

i cant tell is there mesh on the plunging neckline???

ps Jackson Rathbone her costar for twilight is wearing really cool cowboy boots. they are different to what most men wear on the red carpet.

i still think Nikki is totally beating Ashley in the looks for this promo. even with the exposed zip in this dress.

6. Andreea

The dress is beautiful,but too bad that that zipper ruins its beauty.She looks great,but oh that zipper…

7. marie

i like how her make up manages to look so fresh yet so sophisticated..definitely an improvement..at elast she doesnt look like she’s trying too hard..ive noticed though that nikki and ashley tend to look better when not around kristen..perhaps because they try so hard to upstage her?

8. Parvati

Wow, I hadn’t seen the back of Olivia Wilde’s gown back then, so I had no idea that it had an exposed zipper. Now that I saw it, I think it’s much subtler than this one (but still, it was bad). This one on Nikki Reed’s gown is so ugly, so in-your-face that it totally ruins the look. It’s a pitty because it’s such a beautiful gown from the front. I can’t believe that was the only way to make the gown.

9. Jess2

Oh I’m so disappointed, she was doing do well in her recent appearances and the front is lovely and I love the draping sections on the back but oh god the zipper, why just why and what possessed the designer to do that. perfectly hideous. her hair and perfect is wonderful though

10. Vicky

I don’t get it, is the mesh part only at the back? Because I can’t hint it in the front… Such a shame on an otherwise lovely dress

1. Fashion Critic Post author

I have since looked at a few more pictures and there doesn’t appear to be any sheer illusion at the front, which makes the back all the more baffling.

1. marie

The entire front is mesh. That’s partly why I was confused as to why people were gushing over this. The back is hideous, but the front isn’t good either.

11. Alina

From the front, this is BDOTW material.

I agree with T from Sydney – she’s been better than Ashley during this promo tour.

12. Jones19

It’s so perfect from the front that the back makes me want to cry. Couldn’t they have gone with a hidden zipper?

13. Hannah

I adore this look. she is completely outshining Ashley by a million miles. Marriage definitely suits her. I remember that she used to dress well but be a bit ‘meh’ but she has looked gorgeous on this promo tour. Except for the zip, I adore her unnoticeable the mesh is at the front, it means that the dress can keep it’s shape without detracting from it. The colour and style fo the dress are very different, she is glowing, her hair and makeup are perfection, ad she is very present, which is divine to see, especially as it means that she could keep the gown simple, when I imagine other people would ahve worn so many jewls to make the dress stand out. I also really like her shoes. She’s my favourite red carpet twilight girl, Anna Kendrick aside.

14. marie

I think the dress fails before you get to the back. Very poorly constructed. The need for a huge zipper like that tells the tale. The entire thing is wrapped in illusion fabric. Very tacky. There’s also a stiffness to the bodice that is at odds with the intended grecian style.