31.10.11

Dita von Teese In Dita Von Teese ‘Muse’ Collection – Victoria Derby Day

Over the weekend, Dita von Teese was in Lavazza Marquee for the Victoria Derby Day, which took place in Melbourne, Australia.

The burlesque star wore a red one-shoulder dress from her Dita Von Teese ‘Muse’ Collection.

She paired the frock with a scarlet-hued Philip Treacy hat that was adorned with a faux rose flower and feathers.

The rest of the ensemble was teamed with a matching clutch and pumps, which made her outfit feel too safe for my liking.

Her look was completed with her signature red lip and black winged liner.

The dress itself is classic and fits the vintage-loving gal well. But, frankly, the hat seems to be too over-the-top. I would have much preferred to see her with a smaller fascinator and more interesting accessories.

Credit: Getty

Debra Messing In Christian Siriano - The New York Pops 31st Birthday Gala

Debra Messing In Christian Siriano – The New York Pops 31st Birthday Gala

Dita von Teese In Lanvin - ‘Rendez Vous with Alber Elbaz’

Dita von Teese In Lanvin – ‘Rendez Vous with Alber Elbaz’

28 Responses to Dita von Teese In Dita Von Teese ‘Muse’ Collection – Victoria Derby Day

1. robbie October 31, 2011 at 18:32 #

the hat ruins it something more subtle and elegant would have been perfect for the classic look.

2. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) October 31, 2011 at 18:32 #

+1, 100% FC

• Elaine2 November 1, 2011 at 01:23 #

3. dee October 31, 2011 at 18:36 #

She sure loves to wear red. Not that I am complaining about it.

4. Jones19 October 31, 2011 at 18:37 #

I agree about the fascinator, it’s too over the top. I love the dress though and the red accessories don’t bother me.

5. AW October 31, 2011 at 18:44 #

I love it! While the shoes and bag could’ve been more interesting I would wear it just this way.

The hat makes my mouth water.

6. f4fashion October 31, 2011 at 19:05 #

Dita sure can pull off the hat but there is something wrong with the construction of the dress and the matching accessories. Having said that, I just can’t get my eyes off her close photo. Her face is looking like a perfect work of painting. Forget what I said about her outfit, she is breathtaking!

7. Gaber October 31, 2011 at 19:14 #

Personally, I find the dress a bit cheap looking and it’s the hat that saves this.

8. Tahlia October 31, 2011 at 19:29 #

I think the hat/fascinator is perfect for the occasion. The Victorian Derby Day is the lead up to the Melbourne Cup – the race that stops at least two countries! While that may not register in England/US it’s a huge deal over this side of the world. A smaller hat may have looked more elegant but then she’s not there to just blend into the crowd!

• e November 1, 2011 at 00:56 #

agree completely – we love race looks to be dressed up and this is super-appropriate, and the hat is gorgeous – i would say without the hat it’s too safe an outfit!!

• Martin November 1, 2011 at 01:09 #

Totally agree. When it comes to the Spring Racing Carninval in Australia, the hat is THE thing. Shrinking violets need not apply. I think the hat is fabulous, but the dress is a little ho-hum for my liking.

• Carolina November 1, 2011 at 12:04 #

agreed. I also think she looks gorgeous.

9. d-elle October 31, 2011 at 19:52 #

Traditionally women wear only black & white to Melbourne Derby Day it’s a pity Dita couldn’t have responded to the challenge and made an impact without resorting to red.

10. alannah October 31, 2011 at 20:56 #

Its a little disappointing that she chose to wear red for Derby Day as its normally as people above have pointed out traditionally a black & white event. But I actually have no issue with her head wear, its perfect for Australian Spring Racing. Make sure you check out some of the Melbourne Cup fashions today, theres sure to be some fab looks!!

11. Mol October 31, 2011 at 21:30 #

One might have seen such an outfit in the 50′s, but not in such a bold color, which is what makes it so Dita impactful – love it!

12. Cara October 31, 2011 at 21:31 #

i love the whole look. i dont think the hat is too over the top at all! it is Spring Racing Carnival after all! i do agree with the comment amount black and white, but then again she is dita von teese and if you want to stand out on derby day, go red!

13. Jen October 31, 2011 at 21:43 #

It’s interesting how this look is called “safe” and “over the top” in one writeup. Can’t say I disagree because those shoes are snoozeville but I love that OTT hat. Think she looks great overall, though.

14. Laura Brice October 31, 2011 at 22:17 #

If you have a look at Spring Carnival in Australia it is ALL about the hat! This Phillip Treacy piece is right on par with what other ladies are wearing, small fascinators just don’t cut it these days!

15. Nat39 October 31, 2011 at 22:38 #

What`s with Dita and the full-on reddness lately…can`t like her safe clutch/shoe choice here, agree. Don`t mind the bold hat if it`s what the event is all about like the commenter above is saying.

16. gurlygurl November 1, 2011 at 04:28 #

I’m not a fan of the length / tallness of the hat and on anyone else all that red would be wrong but that color is so lovely on her and her face is flawless… divine

17. msd November 1, 2011 at 08:24 #

I think the hat needs to be taken in context – it’s totally normal for Spring Racing, even restrained. I do wish her outfit wasn’t so relentlessly matchy-matchy though.

18. Martin November 1, 2011 at 10:20 #

Wow, classy and intelligent commentary that …

• Fashion Critic November 1, 2011 at 10:46 #

Thanks Martin. I forgot to delete it.

19. thebeautyphilosopher November 1, 2011 at 11:10 #

No, no I love the hat! The races in Melbourne are like a royal wedding – one must wear a proper hat, one of that flimsy fascinator stuff.

20. thebeautyphilosopher November 1, 2011 at 11:11 #

Sorry, meant to write NONE of that flimsy fascinator stuff. It is a beautiful hat and totally the right context for it.

21. Alina November 1, 2011 at 16:30 #

I love it !

22. Emi November 1, 2011 at 21:53 #

In the close-up she looks so beautiful…

23. Emma November 2, 2011 at 07:02 #

As an Australian – and a keen follower of “Fashions on the Field” during the Melbourne Cup, I was delighted to see Dita ignore the balck and white tradition for Derby day. And the hat is perfect for the Melbounre Cup racing Carnival – she did much better than most!!