Jessica Alba was my least favourite on the red carpet at the Ralph Lauren evening hosted by Oprah Winfrey at the Lincoln Center in New York City last night.

Don’t get me wrong, I love her Ralph Lauren Fall 2011 strapless velvet gown with a beaded bodice, but I’m not as excited about her as I was about the rest of the attendees.

Camilla Belle and Kerry Washington really got into the spirit of this event and almost took on different personas, but I’m not feeling that from Jessica.

It’s very much ‘same Jess, different dress’.

Vintage Ralph Lauren jewels, a Ralph Lauren red deco clutch and simple updo completed her look.

Do you agree or am I being too harsh?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Michelle Williams In Nina Ricci - 15th Annual Hollywood Film Awards Gala

Michelle Williams In Nina Ricci – 15th Annual Hollywood Film Awards Gala

Zoe Saldana In Antonio Berardi - Glamour And Clarisonic Host The New Em(power)ment Luncheon

Zoe Saldana In Antonio Berardi – Glamour And Clarisonic Host The New Em(power)ment Luncheon

28 Responses to Jessica Alba In Ralph Lauren – Lincoln Center Presents: An Evening With Ralph Lauren

1. AW October 25, 2011 at 16:09 #

You’re not being harsh FC, the look is just “meh”.

Put her next to Kerry or Camille and she’d look like she purchased the dress @ Sears.

I do however love her smile.

• maria October 25, 2011 at 17:50 #

i agree. Plus the dress is looser and more flowing on the runway, which i prefer to the column form on Jessica.

• Linda October 26, 2011 at 21:08 #

LOL at Sears purchase…yes, it is just meh and boring. The hair doesn’t help.

2. maria October 25, 2011 at 16:09 #

I do agree, Camilla and Kerry were both KNOCK OUTS from head to toe!

Jessica’ s dress is nice too, but the rest, like the hair…is just meh. She can do glam so much better.

3. Alina October 25, 2011 at 16:10 #

I think that her maternity style is better.

• DivaMom October 25, 2011 at 17:37 #

Agree.

4. mol October 25, 2011 at 16:44 #

I think she looks fine, just not great – she just had a baby, it takes awhile to get back into top flight form – maybe a little harsh for me F.C.

• Sandie October 25, 2011 at 19:13 #

I was thinking the same thing.

• Linda October 26, 2011 at 21:12 #

I don’t believe there was anything harsh in the commentary. I am bored by this look for all the same reasons FC gave and extra baby weight didn’t cross my mind at all. Figure wise she looks back to normal (all these celebrities seem to bounce back immediately), the outfit is just not cutting it compared to Camille and Kerry.

5. Francesca October 25, 2011 at 16:44 #

I really like ,to be honest. I never would have guessed this look on Jessica.

6. Hannah October 25, 2011 at 16:50 #

I agree. She has made this dress completely ‘meh’. I think that sometimes she just looks really nave in a way on the red carpet, and I wish she would try to do sexy or sultry just for once, especially since it was Jourdan who wore it on the runway, and did it such justice so beautifully. Also, given that this dress is velvet, the fabric is nto loose eough, so is very unflattering, particularly aroudn her torso. Also, I find it funny that everyone wore black to this event, taking the dresses form the same collection, while the models seemed to wear whiles and nudes.

• Carolina October 25, 2011 at 17:08 #

Agreed on this, totally. Velvet needs to have some drape to really shimmer and look luxe. It is a gorgeous dress, though.

7. Hisadora October 25, 2011 at 16:56 #

She looks beautiful but I don’t really like the velvet part of the dress… I’ve never been a fan o velvet anyway..

8. Jones19 October 25, 2011 at 17:02 #

I completely agree, the others took their style game up a notch but Jess looks the same as always.

9. manja October 25, 2011 at 17:19 #

I like it,except the hair

10. molly October 25, 2011 at 18:33 #

I can never support a dress made of velvet. The top however is really pretty, but as usual, Jessica makes it just “meh”.

11. dee October 25, 2011 at 18:47 #

I just don’t how the dress fits in the waist/hip area. Other than that I like it.

12. justme October 25, 2011 at 19:07 #

I agree with those who think the skirt needed to be more loose on Jessica. It still wouldn’t look good because it’s velvet lol but yeah.

13. Joy October 25, 2011 at 20:25 #

Totally agreed. Jessica is okay in this dress, but Camilla & Kerry really shined.

14. Carmen SanDiego October 25, 2011 at 22:50 #

Ok, this may go too far, but it speaks to who Jessica Alba is to me anyway. She has never demonstrated to me she can take on a persona. She is very pretty and (seems) very sweet. But there are a lot of pretty, sweet girls who can’t pull off high fashion and so never transcend what she wears. She’s not all that interesting and it translates in what she wears.

• Linda October 26, 2011 at 21:16 #

You know, you captured my thoughts very well. I feel the same way about Jessica Biel. I can very, very rarely get interested, let alone excited, about anything they wear. This does not in any way speak to who they may be as a person, just that their aesthetic is not interesting to me.

• Carmen SanDiego November 3, 2011 at 23:45 #

you’re right. She’s another one!

15. gurlygurl October 26, 2011 at 00:40 #

Not harsh at all.. this look is boring. Having said that even on the runway it doesn’t work for me even though I think the model is hawte.

16. june October 26, 2011 at 00:45 #

she doesn’t inject any personality in this dress at all. if she’d worn interesting accessories posed like she felt great in it, it would have sold it a lot better

17. k October 26, 2011 at 05:41 #

I love Jessica Alba but this is far from my favorite look for her. I looked at a ton of pics from this event and this dress somehow made her look wide in the hips in all of them, practically dumpy. Her workout gear shows her off better, sigh. I do love the hair and make up, and her skin is so glowing.

18. Jess October 26, 2011 at 06:56 #

The top is lovely and would have loved to see her with a redder lip to accompany the clutch and bust detail. The rest I don’t like purely because it is velvet. I love Jessica Alba and she has had some outstanding looks, especially when pregnant but although she is so beautiful she doesn’t wow very much

19. Lucía October 26, 2011 at 07:23 #

I actually really like it. I think it’s a beautiful dress, she looks beautiful, her makeup and hair look perfect, I have no problem with this look! :)

20. Can October 30, 2011 at 18:19 #

Harsh, yes but we do come here to read your honest opinion – and you’ve given it: job done.

For me, personally, I tend to look at it as: that she just had a baby and no matter how it looks on the surface it’s something that changes your body and likely makes you feel different about it and so affects how you dress. Sure the dress lacks any real special ingredient to elevate it but this is how it was when she had Honor. I actually think she’s bouncing back faster from Haven if any.

But still it’ll take time though I think she set a high standard for herself with her maternity style. Right now I think she’s more focussed on looking after two children; losing the baby weight and getting back into work. Her style went wonky for a while after Honor’s birth so I tend to consider that when viewing her red carpet dress. I don’t think everyone has to though.