Fan Bingbing In Jason Wu – Tokyo International Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Fan Bingbing looked absolutely divine as she walked the red carpet at the Tokyo International Film Festival Opening Ceremony at Roppongi Hills in Japan yesterday evening.

The beautiful Asian actress is known for wearing princess-style gown, but on this occasion she opted for a very modern look from the Jason Wu Spring 2012 collection.

I’m quite obsessed with this look.

The look consists of an ivory knife pleated silk v-neck top, which she wore off-the-shoulder, and a bright pink silk gazar floating skirt with a black leather bow accent around the waist.

I’ll admit I was worried how this look would translate onto the red carpet, but Fan Bingbing makes it look so effortless and the skirt keeps its volume – thankfully.

This is the first time I have loved a pair of Christian Louboutin Lady Daffodil pumps on the red carpet, because the glitter pumps work so well with the pink and the ivory.

Neutral make-up, a simple ponytail, Cartier jewels and an embellished ivory clutch completed her look.

This is the one to beat this week.

[nggallery id=1015]

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Tia Mowry-Hardrict In Ellery - International Fashion Film Awards

Tia Mowry-Hardrict In Ellery – International Fashion Film Awards

Zoe Saldana In Antonio Berardi - Gen Art's Fresh Faces In Fashion Event

Zoe Saldana In Antonio Berardi – Gen Art’s Fresh Faces In Fashion Event

80 Responses to Fan Bingbing In Jason Wu – Tokyo International Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. Andreea October 23, 2011 at 09:26 #

She looks perfect.Such a lady.

• Manel October 23, 2011 at 14:32 #

• emy October 24, 2011 at 02:47 #

• Tanize October 24, 2011 at 22:02 #

2. Natalie October 23, 2011 at 09:30 #

When I saw this on your site I actually gasped a little. This is absolutely divine. BDOTW for sure. It’s that kind of look that sticks in your head.

• Fashion Critic October 23, 2011 at 09:43 #

I did the same when I saw it too.

Absolute perfection.

• Megan October 23, 2011 at 12:35 #

• artemis October 24, 2011 at 00:12 #

Amazing look..Maybe too soon to tell but this is for me BDOTW

• smolls October 24, 2011 at 18:30 #

Totally agree – she looks stunning! And what a refreshing look from her. :)

3. Alina October 23, 2011 at 09:31 #

FLAWLESS .

4. Lur October 23, 2011 at 09:39 #

Imao. Very princess like outfit. =)
    BDOTW worthy!

5. Pati October 23, 2011 at 09:45 #

That´s funny, because I like all the pieces separately, but the end effect for me is less than mediocre. I hate the Daffodil pumps. But what´s bothering me the most is that she transformed this look from modern and slightly edgy to just blah princessy look. I would much prefer the non off-the-shoulder version as it keeps the look sharp with clean lines and provides contrast between the slim top line and voluminous bottom. And, I would prefer more edgy accessories, something to complement the black bow belt. Fan´s glittery accessories are far too “cute” for this look. And on top of that, although her make up is exquisite, I do not like her hair- again too romantic. Something sleek would work much better IMO.

• tweed October 23, 2011 at 09:57 #

while i do like the runway look as you described, she’s not a new yorker (style wise) and i think she interpreted the look in accordance with her personal style. it’s so charming that i can’t really fault it that much. i’m also glad she didn’t go over the top with the jewelry and makeup, which is sometimes my complaint about her.

• Quinn October 23, 2011 at 15:17 #

i agree with you! :)

• Martin October 23, 2011 at 12:22 #

Completely agree with Pati. Perfectly put. I think this look was modern on the runway, but Fan Bingbing (as much as I admire her choices and the manner in which she holds and presents herself generally) has transformed this into something quite traditional and much less interesting than what Wu presented on the runway. The glittered accessories and the off-the-shoulder top scream conventional to me.

• CreoleLady October 23, 2011 at 13:36 #

Bing Bing is as beautiful as ever but I completely agree with Pati as well. And nothing — not Bing Bing and not glitter — can make me like daft, ahem, daffodil hooves.

• justme October 23, 2011 at 15:30 #

I’m usually a fan of her style but I agree. She sweetened the look and she shouldn’t have imo. My biggest complaint is the hair. But like you said, her makeup is perfection.

• Terry October 24, 2011 at 00:04 #

I agree on the hair. I can’t understand why some celebrities opt for this messy hairdo. Those flying front locks are distracting!

As for the outfit itself, I love it. I like the fact that the dress has the same volume as it had on the runway.

• Valeria October 23, 2011 at 15:35 #

same here – separately divine, on her plus the UGLIEST pumps – not working!

• pipsqueak October 23, 2011 at 16:31 #

Agreed! The look is overall too sweet, but I like her loose bun. I just like something a little undone, which is rare on Bing Bing. I think her looks are very much statements of luxury and status rather than aesthetics, culture or something innate. I’m not her fan but I’m glad to see her wearing an indie fashion label.

• Jones19 October 23, 2011 at 19:36 #

Pati I agree, she made the look princessy. I like both looks but they are quite different, I prefer the edge of the runway version.

• Nat39 October 23, 2011 at 21:04 #

While I prefer the runway modern look, I think she transformed it into something more event appropriate.

• Hannah October 24, 2011 at 13:40 #

I agree. I absolutely adored this on the runway, easily one of my top five looks from the ss 2012 fashion weeks, but it has lost it’s charm on Fan. I absolutely adore her, btu this dress was quirky and modern and feminine, I prefered the runway top with the straps on the shoulders, and with a sleeker hairstyle. I feel like had this been Leighton Meester, Kate Bosworth or Diane Kruger the styling would have been impeccable, interesting but nto harming to the dress, but Fan chose Daffodil pumps, which never sit right for me. She still looks gorgeous, she never doesn’t, and the look isn’t horrendous, but from this outfit I expected a lot more.

6. bella October 23, 2011 at 10:20 #

Wow flawless.everything is perfect~

7. Jess October 23, 2011 at 10:24 #

I love this, the way she is wearing it shows the versitility of the dress, we see it as a bit more edgy on the runway but on Fan it is more romantic with the off the shoulder position. However the Lady Daffodil pumps don’t work for me in terms of colour, i think it distracts fro the dress, a more gold/champagne colour would have been better. Hair and makeup is perfect and i love the clutch! A solid contender for BDOTW

8. couturecoco October 23, 2011 at 10:26 #

Oh dear, I may be the only one not in love with this look on her. Her hair looks messy and I wish she hadn’t worn the top part almost off the shoulders. It doesn’t look at all flattering around her middle especially with the skinny patent belt. I do love the sparkle of the shoes but it is just too heavy to me compared to how the model was styled even though hers are black. So much prefer the original runway version.

9. Alex October 23, 2011 at 10:31 #

She looks amazing but when I first saw this collection I wanted to see this dress on Diane Kruger so bad!

10. june October 23, 2011 at 10:41 #

i don’t dislike black pumps like you do fc, but i’m so glad that she didn’t pick up on the black bow detail and wear it with black accessories.

i can easily picture other actresses doing it, because while fan bing bing is always impeccably dressed, she isn’t going for ‘edgy’ and the black accessories would do her a disservice, i think)

11. Joy October 23, 2011 at 11:11 #

Divine is exactly what I was thinking too!! Perfection. Love all the little details of this look all pulled together only the way Fan can do.

12. ma October 23, 2011 at 11:14 #

she looks lovely but I’m wondering if people in japan know her ’cause I don’t at all (I’m Japanese)

• Lur October 23, 2011 at 13:45 #

She won the best actress of TIFF last year. This year she`s a member in competition jury.

• ma October 23, 2011 at 16:01 #

ah, that makes sense. thanks.

• Lizzie October 26, 2011 at 08:01 #

Yes. I heard she’s in the jury this year. I’m a Japanese also, I c lots of her L’oreal ads in the metro. Actually, there r too many…

13. Emi October 23, 2011 at 11:29 #

I prefer the runway version. But the skirt is gorgeous.

14. KEN October 23, 2011 at 11:41 #

Simply gorgeous.

15. Lucía October 23, 2011 at 11:41 #

Beautiful! It’s an incredible look

16. Femme October 23, 2011 at 12:03 #

I agree on the pumps FC, I remember Heidi Klum also wore the exact same one’s and I hated them, but they totally work with this outfit, Fan looks divine

• sabrina October 23, 2011 at 22:16 #

iawtc

17. anu October 23, 2011 at 12:42 #

she looks absolutely gorgeous! wish i could own this dress with alllll my heart!! sigghhh
    the only complaint in have with this is her clutch – too much glitter!
    the first thing i thought about when i saw this was the Oscar de la renta dress that Carrie wore on date with Aleksandr Petrovsky. Loved the skirt part then and love it now!!

• anu October 23, 2011 at 12:43 #

*the only complaint i have

18. Cheryl October 23, 2011 at 13:25 #

No need for poll, BDOTW winner! Love how she owns the look by making the dress off shoulder plus those super lust worthy pumps

19. Henrique October 23, 2011 at 13:36 #

WOW. She looks absolutely gorgeous.

20. Victoria October 23, 2011 at 13:48 #

I can’t imagine a more perfect look for a film festival in Tokyo! Totally gorgeous and girly! :D

21. Vidhya October 23, 2011 at 14:16 #

so stunning.. bdotw

22. robbie October 23, 2011 at 14:42 #

HATE the skirt, but from the waist up it is beautiful. those shoes are gorgeous far nicer on the red carpet than on the street.

23. fromchi-town October 23, 2011 at 15:08 #

I gasped a little when I saw her. She looks radiant. BDOTW for sure.

24. Raquel October 23, 2011 at 15:24 #

It looked better on the model. I think her pumps are horrible and too heavy for that dress.

25. Quinn October 23, 2011 at 15:44 #

an absolute perfection!

26. Jess October 23, 2011 at 15:55 #

I want to love it, but the shoes I can’t get past. They are so huge, almost comical….a platform that size can never look elegant. And all the sparkles plus the pink is a bit yuck. I loved it on the runway though with the black sandals echoing the black belt.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty & Fashion Blog) October 23, 2011 at 18:45 #

+1 totally! I also prefer the longer tiers of the front panels on the runway skirt.

• Jen October 24, 2011 at 03:05 #

+2. Those shoes are horrible.

• eimearoconnor October 24, 2011 at 09:44 #

Yeah the shoes are awful… there so tacky and the pink and purple together is kinda pukey… too sickly sweet.

27. JG October 23, 2011 at 16:20 #

The heavy shoes actually work for me because of how voluminous the dress is. They really stand up to the whole look in my opinion. Amazing.

28. Tamia October 23, 2011 at 16:29 #

Through me in the coffin because this is heaven. Best dressed of the year has just been made easy for me x

29. noo October 23, 2011 at 17:11 #

she is the one to beat this year :D :D

30. Armaghan October 23, 2011 at 17:21 #

She killed such a Modern edgy look and made it to a girlie,cutsey,ordinary normal thing which I don’t even wanna consider HIgh Fashion.
    That cluch + that pumps = Disaster

31. karine October 23, 2011 at 17:40 #

If only she hadn’t done this off the shoulder thing… I love the color of the shoes with this dress, but not sure about all the glitter and heavy horselike soles of the pumps.
    God how i love these colors together though

32. Choe October 23, 2011 at 17:41 #

Does she have a stylist, FC?

• Fashion Critic October 23, 2011 at 18:13 #

i think so

33. rebecca o October 23, 2011 at 17:58 #

I really hate the shoes and the way she’s wearing the top. I think her hair is too messy as well.

34. Shaina October 23, 2011 at 18:05 #

This is perfection! From the hair and makeup to the accessories, not to mention this amazing gown! This is already my best dressed this week. Everyone else might as well stop now.

35. Iris October 23, 2011 at 18:21 #

fabulosity!

36. Dusty October 23, 2011 at 18:36 #

I love that dress, but it looks so much better on the model. For some reason, it makes her waist look big. Look at the close-up! It gives her waist muffin top!

37. Paulo October 23, 2011 at 18:36 #

I love the way the dress fits Fan, it looks far better on her than the runway.

38. LizLemooooon October 23, 2011 at 18:59 #

Absolutely gorgeous. I’m OBSESSED with those shoes, they add a quirky hyper glamour to the look, instead of making it prissy and sugary sweet it’s almost an edgy, pretty.
    She looks effortless. Love her.

39. Sea October 23, 2011 at 19:53 #

she needs to end her run with these heavy, ugly pumps. i feel she is insecure about her height and tries to bump it up to 6 ft via such shoes. nothing is more beautiful than a woman’s acceptance of herself in entirety.

40. molly October 23, 2011 at 20:28 #

I like this, but making the top off the shoulder made it baggy. I dont like the fit. The shoulders were clearly a last minute thing. Aside from that, its fantastic. I love the color and style of the skirt. Her shoes are amazing.

41. shaphalf October 23, 2011 at 23:00 #

I think she just stole my BDOTY vote with this look. I can’t believe how perfect everything is.

42. gurlygurl October 24, 2011 at 00:49 #

This lady gets away with almost anything for me… she’s just darling. I do prefer the way the model wore the top half of this dress and the shoes are a little bubble gum pop for my liking but it still works. I really wish she hadn’t dropped the shoulders on this dress though because i actually really like that dress even though it’s a whole LOTTA pink skirt!!

43. doc October 24, 2011 at 04:52 #

Whoa, I saw 56 comments and had to see what the discussion was all about. Very split opinions it seems. Anyway, I think she looks like a cartoon character. Can’t quite put my finger on which one. BUT, I like the look a lot. I mean, really, when else would you be able to work in lavender, crystal encrusted 3 inch platform pumps? They were going to have to be worn with an outfit like this or by some sort of transvestite pimp. Or maybe Mariah Carey….

44. Ala October 24, 2011 at 05:08 #

Definitely one of the best dressed of the year! She looks like a queen!

45. roxana October 24, 2011 at 06:43 #

perfect dress, but very ugly shoes!

46. zeo October 24, 2011 at 08:04 #

Wow,this dress is like a dream.Everything is just so perfect.

47. D October 24, 2011 at 09:18 #

wow

48. Camilla October 24, 2011 at 17:45 #

This is gorgeous! Sometimes all those Elie Saab gowns can blend together in a sparkly haze…on board with this.

49. DREW October 24, 2011 at 18:57 #

are those shoes from ALDO? not loving the look

50. cat October 24, 2011 at 21:44 #

I prefer the dress on the model; sleeker and more modern. And those shoes are hideous hooves, ugh.

51. ash October 24, 2011 at 21:58 #

Though i would have prefered that she didnt do the off-shoulders look, i think that if did it the way it was styled on the runway, the necline would be so low.. And the off shoulders are so Fan Bing Bing..

52. Tania October 25, 2011 at 20:56 #

Wow! She made it work for her. I love it on the model and I love the shoes!

53. Anne G October 30, 2011 at 05:10 #

I love this dress — so fresh looking! But then does Fan Bingbing ever pick a unflattering dress?