Michelle Monaghan In Marchesa – 2011 Whitney Museum of American Art Gala

Michelle Monaghan attended the 2011 Whitney Museum of American Art Gala at Hudson River Park’s Pier 57 in New York City last night.

The actress wore a white Marchesa Spring 2012 dress.

Her embroidered silver illusion dress with cascade tulle detail is doing nothing for her.

Absolutely nothing accept washing her out. I almost wish the dress was black.

I shivered when I saw this look – and not in a ‘hairs on the back of my neck’, good way.

I’m not a fan of that pink lip shade with her newly-dyed hair.

Finally, those bangs are cut way too long and I have a slight aversion to white or ivory satin shoes.

In short, this is a disaster from head-to-toe.

Who Wore Michael Kors Better...Heidi Klum, Iman or Chiling Lin?

Who Wore Michael Kors Better…Heidi Klum, Iman or Chiling Lin?

Cheryl Cole In Moschino - ‘Shrek the Musical’

Cheryl Cole In Moschino – ‘Shrek the Musical’

36 Responses to Michelle Monaghan In Marchesa – 2011 Whitney Museum of American Art Gala

1. Jacqu October 6, 2011 at 17:04 #

I don’t think it’s that bad, though I do wonder if she can see through that fringe.,

2. allieh October 6, 2011 at 17:14 #

I agree the bangs are too long but i actually LOVE this look. That dress is HEAVEN!

• mm October 6, 2011 at 17:24 #

I like this look too

• Luiza October 6, 2011 at 19:26 #

+1. LOVE

• sydneycheekychic October 7, 2011 at 12:59 #

+1 Love too!

3. dee October 6, 2011 at 17:19 #

I love the dress on her, it so pretty but the bangs are a let down.

• maria October 6, 2011 at 17:33 #

same here.

4. Nat39 October 6, 2011 at 17:23 #

For me it´s not the silly dress or her super long bangs, it´s those shoes that are real killers. Disaster h2t, agree.

5. Hermoine October 6, 2011 at 17:32 #

I think you are spot on FC. . She isn’t doing justice to the dress and it isn’t doing anything for her in return.

• smolls October 6, 2011 at 23:31 #

Couldn’t agree more…this is not a good luck in any way.

6. Mary Gatto October 6, 2011 at 17:35 #

Aww, come on! She’s not that bad… I think this time it’s purely about FC’s personal taste, ‘cos Michelle looks quite cute. Her bangs on the other hand…

7. Leti October 6, 2011 at 17:35 #

Gorgeous dress, but I like it better on the model. In this pic, Ms. Monegan reminds me of Lara Flynn Boyle in her heyday (around the time when she was starring on the practice).

8. Miguel October 6, 2011 at 17:39 #

I love the whole look… except for those bangs… but the dress fits her perfectly.

9. gratefulgi October 6, 2011 at 17:45 #

Definitely washed out! Don’t like the hair color or style and too white skin w/too white dress n shoes is just not a good look here. Didn’t even recognize her.

10. Alina October 6, 2011 at 17:59 #

I like the dress on her but the bangs and shoes are bad.

11. Rach October 6, 2011 at 18:36 #

Disaster – I do think many Marchesa dresses are bit too ‘full-on’ for the red carpet though and it takes the right person to truly pull them off. And I still find Michelle as a redhead with bangs totally unrecognisable.

12. Parvati October 6, 2011 at 18:41 #

This is a bad look, definitely. Like you said, the dress does nothing for her and I don’t like the shoes, either. The hair only adds to the disappointment, with those bangs.

13. Paulo October 6, 2011 at 18:59 #

I like the dress on her and I think she looks great but the hair needed to be sleeker, the bangs are too heavy for such a light and soft look.

14. anna October 6, 2011 at 19:02 #

I think the dress is gorgeous and it fits her body better than the model, but like you said, it’s really washing her out. I wonder how she can see through these bangs, too, but the only part of this look that I actually hate is the shoes. Overall, she doesn’t look that bad.

15. jovi October 6, 2011 at 19:33 #

i LOVE this dress on her! she is so beautiful and te first thing i thought when i saw this look was: “woow she looks like a beautiful snow queen!” but only from the neck down :s i hate the hair, she look much better when she has long dark hair

16. Rebecca Z October 6, 2011 at 19:50 #

Tres bizarre. I just don’t get the ruffles sprouting from her solar plexis. And the bodice makes me think of figure skating. Just bad.

17. Foteini P. October 6, 2011 at 20:25 #

I love this look!!Head-to-toe! :)

18. LizLemooooon October 6, 2011 at 20:38 #

Urgh, Marchesa only seems to work on models. This look would be better on someone with a tan or darker skin, it washes Michelle out and her fringe is horrible.

19. Jones19 October 6, 2011 at 20:56 #

I like everything but the shoes. Such a pretty gown.

20. Hannah October 6, 2011 at 21:40 #

I think that the dres sis stunning on her body, but it just nothign else works. It is like LeeLee sobieski all over again. Truly tragic to see another beautiful dress ruined by poor styling, and IMO in this case a lack of refinement. I would have loved someone like Zoe Saldana, Blake Lively or Thandie Newton in this dress, someone witht he svelte body, which Michelle has, and a skin colour that coudl stand up to it. Or Kate Bosworth, who, imo, doesn’t often look too washed out by white, for example the jil sander last year. I am wondering who would you have prefered in this dres, FC? And I agree, white satin or white leather shoes are kryptonite to me. awful, awful, awful.

• Cate October 7, 2011 at 05:13 #

Thandie Newton would be a dream in this dress ! :)

21. TeaAtTwo October 6, 2011 at 23:11 #

From the nose down I like it.

22. Cheryl October 7, 2011 at 00:12 #

I think the dress would be divine on a blonde and petite person. Like Elle fanning. Minus the bangs of course. With this hair color/lip color she would have been better off wearing coral/hot pink/orange

23. mandy October 7, 2011 at 01:06 #

No problem for me ;) love everything on her !!

24. gurlygurl October 7, 2011 at 01:10 #

I have to agree with Hannah on this… I think this dress does not work because of her coloring. It also does nothing for her shape. That being said I can’t say I love this dress even on the model. I think Michelle is such a pretty girl she just doesn’t seem to have her styling down pat.

25. Cassandra October 7, 2011 at 01:23 #

I think she looks divine. Maybe shoes like the model will make it even more amazing.

26. zoe October 7, 2011 at 04:28 #

michelle monaghan looks fantastic to me. evan rachel wood in that leather gucci dress was not a good look though, so very aging.

27. Trisha October 7, 2011 at 05:03 #

My first thought was “she looks like a doll.” You know one of those special collector’s edition dolls you keep in the package? I don’t see this as a good thing. Keren and Georgina make great clothes, but Marchesa isn’t as foolproof as some may think.

28. roxana October 7, 2011 at 07:35 #

shame about the dress!

29. Dhppy October 8, 2011 at 08:24 #

I can’t explain why exactly, but I kind of like it. It’s fun. Although, I will say, that vagina strip does give me pause.