30.09.11

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William visited the Royal Marsden Hospital at Belmont on Thursday in London.

The happy couple opened the new Oak Centre for Children and Young People.

Catherine wore an Amanda Wakeley grey felt dress.

My first reaction was this is a re-run dress, then I realized that her style is so repetitive that I just had a strong case of déjà vu.

We have seen her accessories before as she wore her favourite nude LK Bennett pumps and a LK Bennett Natalie clutch.

I’m constantly surprised when I see the words ‘Style Icon’ and ‘Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge’ in the same sentence.

Credit: Getty

Sarah Hyland In Sass & Bide - 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' LA Premiere

Sarah Hyland In Sass & Bide – ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ LA Premiere

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Beulah London - '100 Women in Hedge Funds' Charity Event

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Beulah London – ’100 Women in Hedge Funds’ Charity Event

55 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Amanda Wakeley – Royal Marsden Hospital Visit

1. Elaine2 September 30, 2011 at 22:20 #

Me too, FC – about style icon associated with her name. Could this look be any more boring? Seriously! Although it accents her figure, that’s about all it does. The color is hideous.

2. Sandie September 30, 2011 at 22:24 #

Style icon or not, everybody comments on what she wears…
    Deja vu or not, she still looks nice.

3. S September 30, 2011 at 22:27 #

I think she looks, as she always does, really really lovely. I’d wear that dress to work all the time. I wonder if it comes in darker colors…

And she’s not a style icon in the sense that she’s pushing the envelope, but I like her style. It’s elegant and clean. And truly, visiting a children’s cancer center or any other royal event =/= an opportunity for interesting fashion.

• noo September 30, 2011 at 23:04 #

yes the dress comes in darker colors, gun metal and black, both of which catherine purchased according to amanda wakeley :D u can check any kate middleton style blog for where exactly to buy it!

• Elaine2 October 2, 2011 at 02:16 #

I suppose as a basic dress, it could become a layering piece —- but the way she wore it here? Are you kidding me? NO. Not fashionable OR stylish. it’s SAFE.

4. Annie982 September 30, 2011 at 22:46 #

It is not her fault that the fashion world has so many expectations from her. I like fashion too and fancy stuff but I like Kate’s style too. It her style. She looks lovely. If Blake Lively wore this dress, she would wear it differently I know but we are talking about Kate here. We can’t have the same expectations from everyone. For the cause and for her role, I think it’s a great choice for her. Simple and presentable.

• molly October 1, 2011 at 05:26 #

You have point, but I think most of us know that this is not Kate. If you see pictures of her before she a William started dating, her style was put together, but perfect for her age and fun. She is a Duchess, not the queen. I think she can afford to have more fun, especially when the queen herself has more exciting style than Kate does. I love timeless style, but it doesnt have to be boring.

• I’m with you. I think the most annoying thing about ‘her style’ is actually not her clothes but the unwarranted hysteria that surrounds them. The dresses are usually fine (for her and what she married into) but I do think she could accessorise MUCH better. What’s with the evening bags all the time?

5. Paddy M September 30, 2011 at 23:00 #

She’s always boring, but this is especially boring.

• Elaine2 October 1, 2011 at 01:33 #

Honestly, the dress is nothing special, even in black or blue (or whatever color) it just does not do it for me. The thrill over this woman absolutely escapes me……….. She is for all practical purposes Duchess Doolittle.

6. DivaDebbi (Beauty & Fashion Blog) September 30, 2011 at 23:03 #

It’s a perfectly pretty dress…would have loved it in a color…any color!

I feel the same way when I hear style icon associated with Michelle Obama….she has many more misses than hits and her casual wardrobe is just plain dowdy.

• Betty Brandenburg October 1, 2011 at 10:06 #

I couldn’t disagree more re Michelle Obama – she’s got plenty more hits than misses in my opinion, plus she has fun with fashion. Her casual wardrobe is, well, casual, and very suitable for a mother of two in her mid/late 40s.

The above outfit (all of it, shoes, dress, clutch) is just beyond boring. She’s going to a children’s cancer ward and dresses like a boring matron! That’s not what a princess looks like, in my books.

• Alina October 1, 2011 at 12:32 #

I agree 100% with Betty.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) October 1, 2011 at 20:06 #

There have been a few occasions when Michelle has taken my breath away, like when Naeem Khan designed her gown for the first State Dinner;

It’s tough to live in a petrie dish with everyone ready to pounce, but MO is often in ill fitting clothes with VPL and other NO’s caught on camera. To me, that is not International Best Dressed worthy.

With respect, to each his own!

7. noo September 30, 2011 at 23:07 #

this is so strange, she alternates navy and white in a way that makes me wonder why anybody would try to mimic her style! i think that she associates being a princess with being covered up and looking modest, but modest and boring are two different things :D

8. Mhairi September 30, 2011 at 23:08 #

At the end of the day we will all be still speaking about how amazing she can look in anything for many years! You can’t say that about many people. She dosen’t seem to try too hard yet will always be remembered for wearing clean cut and simple yet classic and elegant clothes. That to me is a style icon im afraid. Trends change all the time but what she wears is timeless.

• Elaine2 October 1, 2011 at 01:34 #

she is not iconic.

• Betty Brandenburg October 1, 2011 at 10:06 #

unless iconic means boring?

9. Sara M AlKhori September 30, 2011 at 23:11 #

I agree !!!! She’s cute, yes. But, she does not reach the “style icon” level. This outfit does not appeal to me at all. I hope she reviews the Amanda Wakely Spring summer 2012 , which was recently in London Fashion Week!!! <3

10. firien September 30, 2011 at 23:29 #

I don’t think this is a look of which one can define if she is a style icon or not. When it came to her wedding dress, everybody was in awe.
    She’s spent years to prove to be right for William, there’s no wonder she keeps it decent and does not experiment with fashion.

• Fashion Critic September 30, 2011 at 23:37 #

she doesn’t have to be experimental, just mildly interesting and not repetitive would be nice

I’m not expecting her to wear Alexander Wang.

• Betty Brandenburg October 1, 2011 at 10:07 #

… but wouldn’t it be fun if she was? Just once?

• Fashion Critic October 1, 2011 at 10:33 #

it would be :)

• Lee Ann October 1, 2011 at 19:24 #

This woman can make Erdem dull

• Elaine2 October 1, 2011 at 01:37 #

I’m not so sure everybody was “in awe” over her wedding dress………….it was purely politically correct for the situation. Many people interested in fashion would not say it was a f’ashionable’ wedding dress.

LOL at the thought of her wearing Alexander Wang. hahahha……I can’t picture it ! (but I would love to!)

• serenissima October 3, 2011 at 03:13 #

i HATED her wedding dress. she looked ridiculous

• There’s an ocean between experimenting and ditching the nude pumps ;-)

11. Dani October 1, 2011 at 00:23 #

I think she looks drop dead gorgeous. And i agree she’s not pushing any envelopes, but her classic elegance is awesome. And her face is looking a bit fuller and healthier again too.

12. pam October 1, 2011 at 01:14 #

I was wondering if any of you from England could tell me if Queen Elizabeth was considered stylish when she was younger. I certainly don’t recall her daughters being known for their fashion or the press being so interested in what they were wearing. If I recall correctly, even Lady Diana wore boring clothes until she became engaged to Charles and suddenly became the designer’s favorite girl to dress. Perhaps one day Kate will step it up in the fashion department. Right now I think she is doing a good job of wearing what suits her while getting used to her new public life.

13. Lauren October 1, 2011 at 01:59 #

i agree that it’s a bit boring, but i think it was smart of her to be a bit boring because of the event. if she wore something more interesting, that’s all that people would be talking about rather than the event itself. and i think she is a style icon, because everything she wears flies off the shelves almost instantly. she is NOT a fashion icon by any means, which is completely different from a style icon.

14. Lily October 1, 2011 at 03:36 #

She looks beautiful. And that dress actually looks comfortable!

15. molly October 1, 2011 at 05:22 #

Oh good lord…wear a color! What is a better place to wear a cheerful color other than to a childrens hospital? This is so boring its really painful. I think she should be forced to wear Erdem, because thats as interesting as she gets. My other problem is her hair, yes she has nice hair, but it is like Jennifer Anistons, totally overrated and not all that great.
    A simple updo and colorful shoes and accessories would have saved this.

16. Erini October 1, 2011 at 05:28 #

I agree with you FC!

17. Malinda October 1, 2011 at 05:59 #

Catherine always looks smart, lovely and elegant. A far cry from many other celeberities and members of royalty who wear bold designer pieces and look hideous or ridiculous. Perhaps “icon” is not the right word, but I never find her boring – I actually find her refreshing. In my humble opinion, she resonates with the everyday woman. Seriously, how many of us look at J.Lo and think – I could/would wear that? And dont even get me started on Bea and Eugenie…….

18. Emi October 1, 2011 at 08:45 #

She has a beautiful figure, so of course she looks good here (as usual) but this is a deja-vu of a deja-vu. I think she’s considered a fashion icon because she’s a good looking girl, she married a Prince and a lot of people think she’s a new Diana. I also read that her sister Pippa is now considered a fashion icon… What? Most of the times she’s dressed like a 50 years old woman who wears very short skirts.

• Fashion Critic October 1, 2011 at 09:00 #

I agree Pippa’s ‘style’ is far worse

19. Alexandra October 1, 2011 at 09:57 #

yeah, she’s not an icon, but not everybody has to be. she always looks nice and presentable, maybe she’s just not so much into fashion, or too afraid of criticism (we all know how people can be cruel in their opinion and probably she just prefers to keep it safe). still when it comes to royality i will take her over Charlotte Casiraghi any day

20. mochababe73 October 1, 2011 at 12:25 #

I agree. The first thing that I thought of when I saw this was vanilla. Everything is just like plain, vanilla ice cream. Boring. Boring. Boring.
    I think that she has just gone a little overboard with the whole duchess-appropriate clothing. She can still look nice without being so plain. Look at pictures of Princess Diana. She was closer to being iconic than Kate.
    With that being said, a jazzy belt, some more interesting shoes, or some type of jewelry would have been nice. Kate definitely could have worn a color.

21. Manuel October 1, 2011 at 13:01 #

Well, Catherine is a beautiful woman and she is a British royalista. I think she is walking the modest road since the economy in the UK is very challenging. Me think people would be upset if she wear expensive peaces every time like McQueen, Gucci, YSL and so on.

But I do agree, it is possible to be daring, so please ad some colour Catherine

22. Mol October 1, 2011 at 14:57 #

She really is a beautiful woman, but – too me – not a style icon. She might be seen over time as a role model,someone who focuses on doing good works and living up to the demands of her position with grace – if it was me (haha) I would be going for that as I think the history books would be kinder towards you and your more likely to find a longer term place achievements your achievements. I do agree though, she could have elevated this look with some simple but bolder accessories.

• Mol October 1, 2011 at 14:59 #

Edit: ‘history books would be kinder towards you. Delete the rest!

23. Sarah October 1, 2011 at 18:55 #

I don’t know what happened to her.. before she actually used to have fun with fashion. Now she just looks like a model on a website wearing a dress that comes in different colors & you’re trying to choose which one to buy. Nothing iconic whatsoever about that imo.

24. Dhppy October 1, 2011 at 20:09 #

I’m torn. Kate is so pretty and her figure is phenomenal that she would make a great representative for any designer, yet she makes such conservative choices that she slightly disappoints. However, I think people’s expectations are so high that it would be difficult for anyone to meet them. Kate’s not failing at fashion, she’s just not excelling. She’s new to her Royal life and she’s finding her way. I think she deserves a grace period.

25. Tania October 1, 2011 at 22:53 #

Totally agree with you FC about her name being associated with being a style icon!

26. mikeijames October 2, 2011 at 03:24 #

perhaps we have begun to confuse the terms “fashion icon” and “style icon.” the duchess has proved that she has a defined and impeccable sense of style. it comes through whether she wears some dress from reiss or some coat from mcqueen. what frustrates us fashion followers remains that she chooses not to play the role of “fashion icon.”

most women in this world don’t have the luxury of following each fashion trend and indulging in every flight of fancy to come down the catwalk, but most women can find a style that works for them and stick to it. in that way, she’s one of the best icons we’ve got.

• Sandie October 2, 2011 at 13:42 #

• Elaine2 October 3, 2011 at 00:27 #

I don’t mean any disrespect, but I don’t find her to be at all stylish. She’s so conservative to the point of just being dare I say, ‘A Stepford Wife’. I really suspect that the palace handlers are controlling what she is doing. They are moulding her to their formula because they do NOT want another free spirit like they had to deal with 20 years ago. Maybe someday she’ll regain control of herself, but I don’t see that any time soon.

• AAA October 3, 2011 at 19:57 #

Whoa – Lots of assumptions you’re making here. How on earth do you know any of this? Maybe she likes her simple, clean easy style. Maybe with the craziness of her life, keeping it simple feels easy and right for her. Lord knows everyone would be up in arms about the cost of her clothes and the cost of the monarchy if she were wearing more fashion-forward expensive items… She can’t win either way.

27. Jazz October 2, 2011 at 06:45 #

*yawwwwwwwwn*

28. Jones19 October 2, 2011 at 13:29 #

She’s the Jackie O of this generation. She’s always in neutral colors, very safe and classy. It’s nice but boring in the long run.

29. pam October 2, 2011 at 20:24 #

i like how she dresses and how she looks. repeating clothes and acessories is the thing to do as a royal in a recession. and as far as im concerned shes a breath of fresh air when i consider being bombarded with images of katie price :)

30. D October 3, 2011 at 14:37 #

safe but loveable.

did she gain some weight? body looks bit fuller now.

31. Tatiana October 6, 2011 at 19:15 #

She’s. So. Damn. BORING!

Even her hair and makeup is always the same!!!