20.09.11

Mary Katrantzou Spring 2012

Inside the venue for the Mary Katrantzou Spring 2012 presentation we were met by a bed of colourful flowers.

It was, of course, a huge indication of what was in store for this collection.

There was no need for coffee before this 9am show as the array of colours was truly awakening for this fatigued fashion crowd.

Lavender, yellow, orange, purple, pink and green flowers bloomed across structured mini dresses with bubble skirts, pant suits, sweaters, pencil skirts and chiffon tops with a flowing trains.

Other than florals, we saw expressive digital print images of flamingos and other birds on body-conscious silhouettes.

The finale halter dress with an asymmetrical hemline was created using Swarovski Elements which looked really heavy, but the model showcased the dress beautifully.

Christian Louboutin provided colourful heels which complemented not only the collection, but the model’s lip colour too.

Blue continues to be a hot lip colour for Spring 2012. Models at Richard Chai Love also sported this bold lip shade.

Once again we see a purposely messy updo hairstyles on the runway, so we won’t be buying any hairbrushes this coming Spring 2012.

Favourites: Tri-colour floral ensemble and printed dress with asymmetrical hemline and crescent bodice

Who I See Wearing This Collection: Anna Dello Russo, Solange Knowels, Cameron Diaz, Minka Kelly, Kelly Rowland, Florence Welch, Fergie, Tilda Swinton, Shala Monroque, Rosamund Pike and Yasmin Le Bon

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Live Stream: Burberry Prorsum Spring 2014 #LFW

Live Stream: Burberry Prorsum Spring 2014 #LFW

Aquascutum Spring 2012

Aquascutum Spring 2012

18 Responses to Mary Katrantzou Spring 2012

1. robbie September 20, 2011 at 20:51 #

gorgeous collection hate the trains though they ruin the dresses.

LOVE the shoes!

2. pepe September 20, 2011 at 21:01 #

Finally something refreshing and accord with the season SPRING!!

3. dee September 20, 2011 at 21:18 #

Ewww, too busy for me. I don’t like it.

4. J September 20, 2011 at 21:26 #

i LOVED the collection. loved Christopher Kane’s as well. what i am appalled by is some of these models! the way they walked the clothes might as well have been left on hangers and have someone push them down the catwalk! FC, was it like this for all the shows?

• Fashion Critic September 20, 2011 at 22:02 #

I think that is what the designers want.

What they want – rightly so – is for the focus to be on the clothes.

The era of supermodels for me is over, so you don’t get that sassy runway walk.

It’s walk, and turn, and back.

I only notice a model on the runway when its Karlie Kloss who oozes charisma.

The rest I couldn’t name or place, but again that is what the designers want for us to focus on the clothes.

• Vera September 21, 2011 at 21:17 #

As for the casting, I thing, it is easier: Mary’s show was scheduled for the last LFW day; a day before GUCCI in Milan.

Frida Giannini has a strong starvation on top models; and they have to be in Milan long before the show.

I am sure that is why Burberry are not closing the week anymore.

5. maria September 20, 2011 at 22:00 #

wow, as beautiful as it looks, it’s a bit too busy for me.

6. Hannah September 20, 2011 at 22:43 #

I adore her shows, this isn’t my favourite so far, that would be last summer’s probably, but still gorgeous. I agree with your celebrity choices, although given her recent black/white/nude colour choices, Cameron Diaz wearing this collection woudl be divine, but I feel it is a dream too far!

• artemis September 20, 2011 at 23:08 #

Agreed!!! amazing!! thanks for the post Fc :-

• Fashion Critic September 20, 2011 at 23:26 #

you’re welcome

7. Mol September 20, 2011 at 23:18 #

I always look forward to seeing what Mary Katrantzou does – very painterly, I like it!

8. Ben September 20, 2011 at 23:20 #

So did you like the finale dress or not?

• Fashion Critic September 20, 2011 at 23:26 #

9. Elaine2 September 21, 2011 at 01:48 #

I couldn’t get past the lipstick, and that ruined the show for me. After I looked at the ensembles, my opinion was “meh”……not that great, really. Obviously the designer is going for the shock factor, and their interpretation of that doesn’t draw me in. (I do like to be shocked, but in a different way.)

10. Vidhya September 21, 2011 at 06:51 #

explosion of colour.. of course its busy.. but DO NOT expect to be walking down the street clad head to toe in this fashion.. Pick up key pieces and pair it with other pieces you own or like.. These prints are sure to add some colour and life in spring fashion..

• dee September 21, 2011 at 14:39 #

I guess the busy comment is directed toward me. I wouldn’t take any piece of it the collection and pair it with anything else I own because I don’t like it. Everything doesn’t appeal to everyone.

11. Lucía September 23, 2011 at 23:41 #